Torque Wrench

I'd like to pick up a 1/4" torque wrench, mostly for cam caps. I think my wrist is calibrated fairly well, but not well enough for me to trust it for cam caps. I have a decent 3/8" Craftsman, but that's too big. Spec is 5.1ft*lb, I think the one I have is rated for 10-75. I'd rather not spend Snap On money, I'm a hobbyist and doubt I'll use it more than once a month. 

Suggestions?

My torque wrench set is the only "truck brand" hand tools I own. I went with MAC because I was able to get them at a pretty heavy discount. They're precision instruments and I work on more than just my dirt bikes so I figured I'd spend the money.

I buy truck brand ratchets. Either snap on or Mac simply because I've busted my knuckles too many times when a cheap ratchet decides to eat its own gears. For everything else I've been buying from Home Depot a lot lately. They have a really good return policy for their husky tools and great prices on them to boot.

For torque wrenches that go that low I use an inch pound wrench.

• Like 3

I've posted in numerous different topics that for most of my day to day maintenance I do not use torque wrenches but I've have been thinking of getting some just cus I've been trying to find one or 2 that are going to cover the range of low to high N-m, kgf-m, lbf-ft specs in my service manual for my 250R.

Anyway has here used these?

http://www.fixtproducts.com/v3/

I buy truck brand ratchets. Either snap on or Mac simply because I've busted my knuckles too many times when a cheap ratchet decides to eat its own gears. For everything else I've been buying from Home Depot a lot lately. They have a really good return policy for their husky tools and great prices on them to boot.

For torque wrenches that go that low I use an inch pound wrench.

I'm down to one shitty craftsman ratchet for all sizes. Once those break, they'll be replaced with Mac ratchets for the exact reason you stated. I inherited a couple partial hand tool sets from my grandfathers when they past... they're old abused craftsman tools. They work until they break. I've been replacing hand tools (other than ratchets) with Husky as they break. Had one 1/8" drive husky ratchet blow out on me and I had no issues with home cheapo getting it replaced. 

I had a set of Milwaukee cordless tools but they all shit the bed on me. I tend to abuse cordless tools so I buy cheapo Ryobi now and exchange them at home cheapo when I break them. All my corded tools are contractor grade DeWalt (not home depot DeWalt, not the same quality) and they've treated me very well... and I actually take care of them. 

If I was a mechanic by trade, I'd buy the best tools money could buy. As a hobby mechanic, the cheaper tools (aside from torque wrenches and ratchets) work fine, last long enough and when they do break its not like I have some deadline to meet so driving over to the depot isn't a big deal. 

I've posted in numerous different topics that for most of my day to day maintenance I do not use torque wrenches but I've have been thinking of getting some just cus I've been trying to find one or 2 that are going to cover the range of low to high N-m, kgf-m, lbf-ft specs in my service manual for my 250R.

Anyway has here used these?

http://www.fixtproducts.com/v3/

Those look pretty cool. Not sure i'd buy one but i'm interested to hear about them too. 

• Like 1

I like my SK. There's a lot of good info from knowledgeable people about this stuff on garage journal. Google "site:garagejournal.com 1/4" torque wrench"

SK for me too.  I bought an inch-pound 3/8" drive for the lighter/smaller stuff because I don't trust my "torque wrist" lol

SK for me too.  I bought an inch-pound 3/8" drive for the lighter/smaller stuff because I don't trust my "torque wrist" lol

SK makes some of the most durable tools around, they seem to be a well kept secret, though.  I have a 3/8" SK ratchet that is my favorite ratchet, I've owned it since 1974.

• Like 1

I'm down to one shitty craftsman ratchet for all sizes. Once those break, they'll be replaced with Mac ratchets for the exact reason you stated. I inherited a couple partial hand tool sets from my grandfathers when they past... they're old abused craftsman tools. They work until they break. I've been replacing hand tools (other than ratchets) with Husky as they break. Had one 1/8" drive husky ratchet blow out on me and I had no issues with home cheapo getting it replaced.

I had a set of Milwaukee cordless tools but they all shit the bed on me. I tend to abuse cordless tools so I buy cheapo Ryobi now and exchange them at home cheapo when I break them. All my corded tools are contractor grade DeWalt (not home depot DeWalt, not the same quality) and they've treated me very well... and I actually take care of them.

If I was a mechanic by trade, I'd buy the best tools money could buy. As a hobby mechanic, the cheaper tools (aside from torque wrenches and ratchets) work fine, last long enough and when they do break its not like I have some deadline to meet so driving over to the depot isn't a big deal.

I didn't say it, but craftsman was the brand of ratchets I was referring to. I've had great luck with craftsman tools but their ratchets are absolute garbage. I paid 80 bucks I think for a Mac ratchet probably 10 years ago and it hasn't skipped a beat or busted my hand into the frame of a car. I have snap on ratchets for my 1/4" and 1/2". And obviously like everyone else some cheapie ratchets you acquire from random tool sets or whatever haha.

I agree, if I was a mechanic for a living I would also buy top quality tools. But I buy top quality where I need it, like ratchets. And cheaper where I don't, like a set of screw drivers or a 3/8" bit with a Philips screw driver bit in it that I randomly needed the other day. Just went to Home Depot and got it for a couple bucks and it'll be there when I need it 5 years from now haha.

I need to invest in some good cordless drills, but for the mean time I just use my black and decker. I just don't use it enough to spend 200+ on a good one.

• Like 2

I think there was a review on TT of those.  Expensive.

Ya I read a review in Dirt Bike and this one on TT https://www.thumpertalk.com/reviews/product/45519-fixt-products-pro-torque-t-handle/

Yes they are $$$$ but I was looking to see if there were any more people with an opinion?

Anyway, I'm not it a huge rush to go out and buy yet since I really don't use them often and if or when I do need to I have buddies who trust occasionally lending me tools cus I shoot them beers and if I broke one, I would replace.

I'd like to pick up a 1/4" torque wrench, mostly for cam caps. I think my wrist is calibrated fairly well, but not well enough for me to trust it for cam caps. I have a decent 3/8" Craftsman, but that's too big. Spec is 5.1ft*lb, I think the one I have is rated for 10-75. I'd rather not spend Snap On money, I'm a hobbyist and doubt I'll use it more than once a month. 

Suggestions?

I bought a thin head Proto at Grainger.  Makes access between the cap bolts and frame much easier.

Harbor Freight frequently has their click type torque wrenches on sale for somewhere around $12 each.  At those prices, I bought one of each; 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" dive. 

I've been wrenching for decades and never used a torque wrench, but lately started paying attention to torque specs. 

Now I know what many will say, Harbor Freight, POS, and for some stuff I would agree, but so far I've been pretty pleased with these torque wrenches.  Their settings are easy to check using a beam type torque wrench, and so far, my HF wrenches are right on. 

Anyway, they sure beat the calibrated wrist I was using previously.