Air Filter Screen

Has anyone removed the screen the airfilter sets on? Thought it might improve airflow, I think it's there to keep a backfire spark from getting on the filter? The K&N filter I have on is screened in anyways

Well phrased GG! You may be right, when I ride with the gang I'm always leading (not because I'm fastest, but because I know my way around better), so my filter doesn't get dirty as quickly as the others. I still think removing the screen would improve airflow, but maybe it's not necessary

I've been using K&N filters on my street and race bikes since the 80s and have never had issues with dirt getting into the intakes.... even on my XS650 flattrackers. My BMW R75/5, MotoGuzzi V7 and Kawasaki KZ750 all did over 100K miles with K&N filters and the motors never had any issues and were in excellent condition when I sold those bikes.

Dmouse, if you have a K&N on your bike you don't need any screen... but then if it doesn't impede the K&N's fit then there's no reason to remove the screen either.

Edited by Diogenes415
  • Like 1

I've been using K&N filters on my street and race bikes since the 80s and have never had issues with dirt getting into the intakes.... even on my XS650 flattrackers. My BMW R75/5, MotoGuzzi V7 and Kawasaki KZ750 all did over 100K miles with K&N filters and the motors never had any issues and were in excellent condition when I sold those bikes.

Dmouse, if you have a K&N on your bike you don't need any screen... but then if it doesn't impede the K&N's fit then there's no reason to remove the screen either.

Can you post the oil analysis? Thanks.

Yes, an oil analysis will report back how much silica is in your used oil. Silica is an indication of outside contamination.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/motorcycle.php

I figured that's what you were getting at but why would I have run an oil analysis on a healthy motor that showed no significant signs of wear or failure? I routinely do compression and leak down tests to determine the health of my motors. In order for dirt to get down into the crankcase oil it would have to get past the rings, that would show up with the routine diagnostics I run.

I figured that's what you were getting at but why would I have run an oil analysis on a healthy motor that showed no significant signs of wear or failure? I routinely do compression and leak down tests to determine the health of my motors. In order for dirt to get down into the crankcase oil it would have to get past the rings, that would show up with the routine diagnostics I run.

From "I have no idea" to "I thought that" ?  Sounds like heavy denial.

So, what are you afraid of?

I've seen tests on mining equipment that ran K&N: Not pretty. :excuseme:

Efficiency ... the golden buzzword. While all the filters tested were very close, over time the impact on your engine can be huge. These numbers are for a relatively short test with a small amount of dust. Multiply it by 10 or 100 to get a rough estimate of how much dust makes it into your engine on a given wheeling trip. Seven grams of dirt is about a 1/4-ounce wheel weight. Do you want one of them in your engine?

http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/154-0611-jeep-air-filter-upgrades/

Edited by Bermudacat

From "I have no idea" to "I thought that" ?  Sounds like heavy denial.

So, what are you afraid of?

I've seen tests on mining equipment that ran K&N: Not pretty.  :excuseme:

Efficiency ... the golden buzzword. While all the filters tested were very close, over time the impact on your engine can be huge. These numbers are for a relatively short test with a small amount of dust. Multiply it by 10 or 100 to get a rough estimate of how much dust makes it into your engine on a given wheeling trip. Seven grams of dirt is about a 1/4-ounce wheel weight. Do you want one of them in your engine?

http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/154-0611-jeep-air-filter-upgrades/

Well we apparently disagree and you obviously feel slighted for some reason but don't waste my time expecting me to prove anything to you because I really don't care. If you don't like K&N filters don't use them and continue to use what ever works for you. I've had great experiences with the filters and so have plenty of other motorcyclists that I've known over the years with high mileage bikes so that's the info I'm relaying. Deal with it.

Edited by Diogenes415

Well we apparently disagree and you obviously feel slighted for some reason but don't waste my time expecting me to prove anything to you because I really don't care. If you don't like K&N filters don't use them and continue to use what ever works for you. I've had great experiences with the filters and so have plenty of other motorcyclists that I've known over the years with high mileage bikes so that's the info I'm relaying. Deal with it.

No, I don't feel slighted, you feel defensive. Nothing to deal with at my end. I posted facts that disagree with your conjecture, that's all.......................... :D

• 3 weeks later...