86-87 kx125 shifter problems

I have just acquired an old kx125 for very cheap. It starts first kick and runs great but the only problem im having is the shifter lever has a ton of play in it. I'm thinking it has to do with the return spring but I can not for the life of me find out how to get to it and its driving me crazy. Please someone help!!!

Are you referring to the up and down motion required before it clicks into the next gear?  A certain amount of that is normal.  As long as the shifter returns to the center position and doesn't have a lot of free motion up or down without springing back to center.

Are you referring to the up and down motion required before it clicks into the next gear?  A certain amount of that is normal.  As long as the shifter returns to the center position and doesn't have a lot of free motion up or down without springing back to center.

no it doesnt return to center and I can't get it to downshift well. 

Something is going on under the engine side cover.  Might be something out of place or a spring popped off.  Take the side cover off and take a look.

Something is going on under the engine side cover.  Might be something out of place or a spring popped off.  Take the side cover off and take a look.

By that do you mean the clutch side? I took the cover off but couldnt find the shifter shaft. I really dont want to split the case

Just the clutch side cover.  You may have to remove the clutch basket.  The shifter mechanism and detent mechanism are both under there.