FC250 Motor issues

is anybody else having motor/transmission issues on their 2016 Husky's?  A buddy of mine (much younger, just got his pro license) spent the winter in TX with his new Husky's.  His new 250 engine grenaded at the fifteen hour mark.  Another guy that was there training/riding had his grenade at around twenty hours.  I mean completely grenade to the point that Husky paid for/sent them all new engine internals.  Now the same engine has major issues again with the transmission less than fifteen hours later.  He noticed it started hitting false neutrals while on the track.  Then Wed morning he started it up on the stand, let it warm up a bit.  Pulled it off the stand and was standing beside it, on the throttle side and blipped the throttle a couple times.  Believe this or not, the second time he blipped the throttle the bike jumped in gear and was gone nearly running through the side of his pickup.  He had no hand on the bike aside from the throttle.  And was standing on the opposite side as the shifter.  That's some scary stuff right there.  He is pulling the motor out and sending it to the mechanic in TX. (former race team mechanic).  The mechanic told him when they rebuilt the motor with the parts Husky gave them that it was rather surprising to find aluminum parts in the transmission that normally had steel.  What these specific parts were I have no idea.  But this guy worked for one of the big four Jap companies as a mechanic for a top rider for years.  So my question is who else is having problems or has heard of these issues.  This young man had kept his two Yamaha's from last year and went back to riding them until he can get this issue resolved.  But he's scared as hell to ride the Husky's now because he's afraid it's going to grenade of the face of a huge triple or something. 

So he finally got his bike back this week.  some parts grenaded in the tranny.  So he warms the bike up and goes out and putts around a lap to check things out and it starts making a strange noise.  So he drives back to his shop and checks the oil and coolant again to be safe.  All was good.  Starts it on the stand and it starts knocking big time.  so it's back to the dealer once again.  Man these two 250's he has have been a total pile of crap.  So it's back to the YZF's again.  I cannot believe there is nobody else having issues.  Or maybe they're not talking.

We've sold about 50 FC250's and haven't had a single issue with one of them.  In fact, since the bikes "turned white and blue" we've had three warranty claims total (one weepy master cylinder and two voltage regulators).

• Like 1

Resurrecting this thread...

2016 FC250 with approx 20hrs and I suspect something has broken in the transmission...(costing me a top three season finish, and possible repeat championship)

Heard a bad metallic banging from inside the engine in neutral, dies going into gear.

Confirmed it's transmission related after inspecting and finding the slipper clutch is fine. (been running a Hinson from day one)

One the stand, I can rotate the rear wheel when bike is in neutral.  completely locked up one in gear (can't rotate wheel even with the spark plug removed)

Bike is going to the Husky dealer tomorrow and they'll get to it when they can...more to come.

RogerB

Edited by rogerb
reword

Friends has an SXF-250 2016. Bike have 28 hours on it.

Locked up in 3rd gear and blew an hole through the engine case. Spoke to KTM and it was a known issue on the 16's. they even stopped production to fix.

Unfortunately because my friend bought the bike used he missed the recall notice. Local bike shop then but the 18 gearbox in.

The gear coggs on the shaft are drilled out. This means less weight but more prone to blow.

We're based in the UK so unsure if this is the same issue on the US bikes

Edited by LukeyUK

Well, bike is at the Husky dealer.  Just waiting for them to tear it down and see what happened.  Fortunately, I have an old racing buddy that spoke to his Husky rep and right away, the Rep knew what the problem was.  KTM/Husky is aware of this issue and are apparently handling these one a case by case basis. Fingers and toes crossed.

more to come...

On 9/26/2018 at 5:01 PM, rogerb said:

Well, bike is at the Husky dealer.  Just waiting for them to tear it down and see what happened.  Fortunately, I have an old racing buddy that spoke to his Husky rep and right away, the Rep knew what the problem was.  KTM/Husky is aware of this issue and are apparently handling these one a case by case basis. Fingers and toes crossed.

more to come...

Just curious if you've heard anything back from the dealer on this? I have had my 16'/FC250 Out of Commission for months now (partly due to the false neautral issue/ partly a time to work on it issue). Regardless I tore it down myself and still can't seem to fix the problem even with parts from Husky.