Oregon Steering Dampener for PNW?

Hi All,

This has probably been brought up before, but do you guys see a benefit for steering dampeners in the PNW tight trails? Are they worth the money? Looking at picking up a slightly used Ohlins 2.1 unit. I have a 2013 350 xc-f ktm.  Thanks.

-R

The high speed circuit comes in handy when you clip the edge of your bars (or hopefully barkbuster) on a tree, it keeps the bars from being ripped from your hands.

Hi All,

...steering dampeners in the PNW tight trails? . I have a 2013 350 xc-f ktm.  Thanks.

-R

With those 4CS forks...yes.

• Like 1

I have a dampener on my 525 and ride mostly tight single track. Don't notice it until I hit the nasty rocky roads at high speeds. Then I love it!

I have a scotts. I sometimes wonder if I need it.

I highly recommend Jeff slavens YouTube video about setting them up for trail riding.

The scotts came so stiff settled from the factory, it damn near killed me.

A stiff setting makes the handle bars fight you. You want to turn, bike wants to go straight. Kinda nerve wracking when you are like a suicide pilot going towards big fat targets like sir Doug fir....

I have a GPR steering stabilizer, came with the bike when I bought it. I don't believe I really notice a different in the tight stuff, but I haven't taken it off and rode with it back to back to compare. But if you can pick up a used stabilizer for a reasonable price, I'd say go for it, that is only if you have already spent the money setting up your suspension.

Also by the way, it is "damper".

After buying a KTM, you still have money left over for a dampner?

He should since it comes set up for offroad instead of a Japanese MX bike that needs suspension, rear wheel/tire, kickstand, and maybe a stator to be manageable on trails.

Joe

• Like 2

I was in baja last week, first time I put the kickstand down, it broke!

I ran the gpr, great value for the money, but I never have felt the need for a dampner on any bike. Could be cause I grew up with out them. I can say for sure though, fuel injection and air forks are not a good idea in mexico

He should since it comes set up for offroad instead of a Japanese MX bike that needs suspension, rear wheel/tire, kickstand, and maybe a stator to be manageable on trails.

Joe

It's the price we pay for not ruining off road motorcycling.

• Like 5

It's the price we pay for not ruining off road motorcycling.

Huh?

Huh?

Just a joke about a 400+ page troll thread (dare I say masterpiece) in the general dirt bike forum.

• Like 2

Just a joke about a 400+ page troll thread (dare I say masterpiece) in the general dirt bike forum.

Ok Krannie :lol:

on my previous bike (2006 ktm 300 xcw) I felt a steering stabilizer was a huge benefit!

I took it off that bike and put it on my 2013 KTM 350 xcf-w. I didn't feel it made as big a difference on this bike.

Overall I thnk they are nice to have and depending on conditions they do make a difference. If you can score a used one at a great price, Go for it! It would not be the first thing I spend money on for this bike though.

• Like 1

I have always used the Scotts rotory damper on my dirt bikes.
Did you know that the Scotts rotory damper was originally an Ohlins damper?

When Ohlins stopped making them Scotts bought the design patent from Ohlins.

My 02 TLR1000 had an Ohlins Rotory damper, when I needed to get parts for it Ohlins told me to contact Scotts.  

13_ktm_xcw_500_002.jpg

Here is a Scotts mounted on my EXC500.

• Like 1

I have a scotts. I sometimes wonder if I need it.

I highly recommend Jeff slavens YouTube video about setting them up for trail riding.

The scotts came so stiff settled from the factory, it damn near killed me.

A stiff setting makes the handle bars fight you. You want to turn, bike wants to go straight. Kinda nerve wracking when you are like a suicide pilot going towards big fat targets like sir Doug fir....

Yesterday I was riding lots of single track, NW typical terrain. I wound up setting the low speed as far soft as it would go because otherwise I felt a bit of fighting with the wheel. Seemed to do the trick for the tight stuff, but once I started pounding whoops and squirrely rock strewn trails I could feel the Damper doing its job. I redid my suspension and had the Scotts installed back in November...those two things got rid of at least 50% of the arm pump instantly.

I'd say that if you had a long list of things you wanted to do to your bike, a steering damper would not be the first on my list.

For me....

Tubliss/Mousse

Suspension Tuning

Engine performance/tuning issues

Spare rear wheel

Highway Dirtbike Handguards

Guards; Link and Rear Brake

Comfort seat

Good tires

Off the top of my head, the above are the bike mods that for me had the highest beneficial impact...I'd do a Damper after the above are paid for. That for me was about $4,000 

Early years ktms came with a steeper offset and almost required a damper (scott owes ktm big time) . The newer year ktm have relaxed the rake a couple mm and you can ride without one. But they can still be nice to have.  Maybe cheaper than an x ray or co pay if they save you from a bad crash.    

• Like 2

Yesterday I was riding lots of single track, NW typical terrain. I wound up setting the low speed as far soft as it would go because otherwise I felt a bit of fighting with the wheel. Seemed to do the trick for the tight stuff, but once I started pounding whoops and squirrely rock strewn trails I could feel the Damper doing its job. I redid my suspension and had the Scotts installed back in November...those two things got rid of at least 50% of the arm pump instantly.

I'd say that if you had a long list of things you wanted to do to your bike, a steering damper would not be the first on my list.

For me....

Tubliss/Mousse

Suspension Tuning

Engine performance/tuning issues

Spare rear wheel

Highway Dirtbike Handguards

Guards; Link and Rear Brake

Comfort seat

Good tires

Off the top of my head, the above are the bike mods that for me had the highest beneficial impact...I'd do a Damper after the above are paid for. That for me was about $4,000 

What?? no whale tank on your list?  :ride:

Joe