just bought a 90 KDX200 anything i should watch for?

Hey guys,

been riding, racing, wrenching for about 30 years now.  this is my first Kawi.  i bought it for my son.

going to go through it and check it over, already noticed the head set bearings are bad.

the previous owner told me about the power valves, and how they sometimes break.

are there any other things that i should watch out for?

thanks!

IMG_20160421_205831073.jpg

As the PO said, powervalves. I'm not exactly sure for your 1990, but when my '97 220's powervalve governor broke it floated down into the clutch and destroyed the entire clutch pack and basket. Luckily it got caught and didn't make it into the gears!

Also I think the main seals go bad long before the piston would normally need to be replaced.

• Like 1

As the PO said, powervalves. I'm not exactly sure for your 1990, but when my '97 220's powervalve governor broke it floated down into the clutch and destroyed the entire clutch pack and basket. Luckily it got caught and didn't make it into the gears!

Also I think the main seals go bad long before the piston would normally need to be replaced.

hey thanks!  he did tell me that there was sometimes a bog after going downhill for a while.  i was going to start by cleaning the carb, and checking the jetting.  but now i know about the main seals possibility, i will keep that in mind and check the tranny oil level. 

I recently bought a 1990 also. Mine came with a plate. . The kips was stripped on mine, so clean it often, parts are still available, but I may spring for the steel replacement. I had to do a top end on mine, fuel valve rubber rot, shock rebuild. Rest is good, decent little bike for the weight.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

been riding, racing, wrenching for about 30 years now.  this is my first Kawi.  i bought it for my son.

going to go through it and check it over, already noticed the head set bearings are bad.

the previous owner told me about the power valves, and how they sometimes break.

are there any other things that i should watch out for?

thanks!

clean the power valve once a year, change the transmission oil when it gets dark, and enjoy the very cheap, very easy ride for a few years. 

• Like 1

thanks guys.  i think I'll buy a head gasket and go ahead and clean the power valves up.  this will give me a starting point for the maintenance schedule.  I'll check the reeds as well.

was already planning on having the shock and forks serviced. (i asked the owner if he ever changed the fork or shock oil. and he looked at me like i was crazy.)

clutch and throttle cables are toast as well.

I'm building a shopping list!

I'll try and get out in the garage and do a compression check this week as well.