Washington Importing used dirt bike from BC to WA?

I'm hoping to bring down a 2014 Husqvarna FE501 (offroad only) into Washington to title in my name this weekend, as well as bring my CR500 up to trade for it.. I called the border customs and I was told the bike needs to have EPA and DOT stickers.. ??? I haven't done this before.. anyone have any input for me please?

Thanks

Chris

It's a new model it must have those compliance stickers intact along with the registration in the owners name and a bill of sale. I haven't done it myself yet but I do know they charge a import tax like 2 or 3% of the sale price.

Hey Chris, there are border brokers at the major points of entry that can facilitate things like this. I'd say your odds of not having a problem one way or the other, or both, are not good. Of course you will hear stories of people who just breezed across the border with no problems, but you gotta ask yourself, "do I feel lucky?".

Go Chris! :canada:

I have sold in BC before but the exchange rate favours us again finally. 

My story was that I was always going riding with BC bros on way in and then way back was I was looking for a bike but didn't like it. Bring gear, looks more credible but you're en route now so how'd it go? 

:thumbsup:

well I made it through and got a stamp. now hoping the licensing place will issue a title

• Like 2

did you have to pay duty on used bikes?  I've done new sleds but they were USA and Canada built so NAFTA kicked in.

Kickstarting in cascade concrete isn't too bad, but BC ,Montana, Wyoming,  pow pow can sink ya, but at least a twostroke will restart 1st kick. 

she's plated and ready to rip

So to import its easy if it is an offroad bike. When you cross tell the guard you bought the bike and need to import it. they send you to customs. you need - bill of sale and icbc insurance registration signed off by owner. Customs gives you a form with a stamp and you are all good to go.

exporting a bike to canada... different ball game.

2016-04-25 19.20.06.jpg

2016-04-24 21.21.43.jpg

• Like 2

Nice Husky! Cute kid. 

I just imported a '73 Triumph Bonneville 750 from BC a few months ago. The exchange rate made for a sweet deal, plus I have family up there, so made a weekend out of it. Since the Triumph is older then 25 years I didn't have to worry about any EPA or other type compliance issues. Did have to stop in at US customs and pay duty, all worked out fine. 

And I finally got around to transferring the title today, walked out with a plate so I'm happy as a clam. -Ed

IMG_2342-M.jpg

• Like 2

she's plated and ready to rip

So to import its easy if it is an offroad bike. When you cross tell the guard you bought the bike and need to import it. they send you to customs. you need - bill of sale and icbc insurance registration signed off by owner. Customs gives you a form with a stamp and you are all good to go.

exporting a bike to canada... different ball game.

Good news, so did you take the Honda up? How did that work?

That's good to know that it wasn't too bad.  Krissy just got a bike yesterday so there's a bit more pressure to find a bike for me and looking in BC opens up the market for what I think I want quite a bit.