Taking chain off a few times?

So I am putting a new chain on this weekend and I am going to have to take off the tire in a week to put new rubber on it. I just want to make sure it's OK to carefully remove the master twice!

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it.

You carry a spare anyways, right?

Cheers,

Jon

Why disassemble the master to take the tire off?  Just pull the rear axle, move the wheel forward to slacken the chain and remove it from the sprocket and set it aside on the swingarm.  Only time you need to remove the master link is when you're replacing the chain.

Why disassemble the master to take the tire off? Just pull the rear axle, move the wheel forward to slacken the chain and remove it from the sprocket and set it aside on the swingarm. Only time you need to remove the master link is when you're replacing the chain.

Will there be enough room for the chain to be taken off? I was thinking about doing that. Does it harm the master link though? I have the tool so taking it off would be easier.

Every time you pop that clip off of the master link it loses a little bit of strength.  I wouldn't screw with it unless its necessary.

Pulling the rear axle should allow you to move the rear wheel up at least an inch.  That should provide more than enough slack to get the chain off the sprocket and move it aside.  I've done it many times.

Every time you pop that clip off of the master link it loses a little bit of strength. I wouldn't screw with it unless its necessary.

Pulling the rear axle should allow you to move the rear wheel up at least an inch. That should provide more than enough slack to get the chain off the sprocket and move it aside. I've done it many times.

Alright I will do that. I appreciate the advice man

Will there be enough room for the chain to be taken off? I was thinking about doing that. Does it harm the master link though? I have the tool so taking it off would be easier.

Yes there will be plenty of room. I never remove a master link unless I'm replacing the chain. You're going to be removing the axle anyway, so slide off the chain tensioners which you have to do anyway, and push the whole assembly forward. There will be plenty of room to just pop the chain off the sprocket. 

Alright I will do that. I appreciate the advice man

let us know how it goes.

if removing the axle doesnt net you enough to remove the chain you may have your chain too tight.

Ya your axle blocks should normally be about centred in the marks with the chain adjusted correctly.

IMO you should not have to remove the master link to remove the rear tire.

Don't remove the chain. If you pull the axle completely out you'll have a few inches of slack.