Anyone know how to get this u-joint off?

It's the front driveshaft on a suzuki quadrunner. The seal around the yoke needs replacing. It looks like it has some sort of clip on it. Probably takes a special tool to remove it. I know I could put this in the quad section, but it would take a week or more to get an answer. Plus, there is alot of wisdom here in T.S!  Someone will know.  :D

20160422_151018_resized.jpg

20160422_151033.jpg

20160422_151046.jpg

How 'bout those pics! I just got a new Galaxy. I had an i-phone 5 for about a year and that was biggest P.O.S that I've had since a '92 Hyundai Sonata that we had 20+ years ago!

Yes the yoke is on a splined shaft. I have to get to the nut to get it off

So much for TS wisdom......

Looks as if it slides off a spline shaft. I don't have a manual.

http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d0a8e5f870022c2c5353cb/final-bevel-gear-front-model-k1-k2

In picture 2 it looks like I see the eyes of a snap ring.

It is a ring, but it doesnt look like any snap ring that I've seen. By looking at the above link it's #5 a circlip. I'm just not sure how to get it off. There isn't alot of room. 

Edit. After a closer look that's the wrong end. I'm working on the trans end.  :doh:

Edited by Nor8e8rs

It's the front driveshaft on a suzuki quadrunner. The seal around the yoke needs replacing. It looks like it has some sort of clip on it. Probably takes a special tool to remove it. I know I could put this in the quad section, but it would take a week or more to get an answer. Plus, there is alot of wisdom here in T.S!  Someone will know.  :D

?20160422_151018_resized.jpg

?20160422_151033.jpg

?20160422_151046.jpg

How 'bout those pics! I just got a new Galaxy. I had an i-phone 5 for about a year and that was biggest P.O.S that I've had since a '92 Hyundai Sonata that we had 20+ years ago!

Tricky to do. It looks like it has internal snap rings, remove the snap rings on the cups that are in the diff yoke, not the shaft. Once that is off, then you can gain access to the flange nut under it, remove the nut, slide off yoke, replace seal, lube new seal lip, slide yoke back on.

The problem is going to be pressing the shaft out. I suspect a ball-joint/u joint press will work. I have one from OTC.

This is it, I wouldnt even try to tackle it without one. Hammering it will damage other items.

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-7249-U-Joint-Anchor-Service/dp/B0002SRGXY

Edited by toyota_mdt_tech

Yep, that yoke is going to have to come off. No way around it. Looking at the pics, the clips must be on the inside of the yokes like a Jeep's Dana 30. You'll press down one side, remove the clip, then press down the other side. Wouldn't surprise me if they come out in a couple pieces.

I've done probably close to 1,000 u-joints. I'd say a third of those were on the trails with using just hammers and rocks. In the shop I set it up in the vice, take a socket the diameter of the cup and bang em' out. I don't like using the press for these. Maybe to get the new ones in. With the old ones, they may be so tight that you mind bend an ear or something. You almost need a shock to get them out. A little heat can also do wonders.

edit: spelling

Edited by Busted Knuckles

My preference would be to park it next to a shade tree and throw a tarp over it and allow it to fall off naturally.  ? ? ?  

Might want to pull the tarp back every 5-10 years to check it's progress.  ?

Edited by MXOldtimer

Why would anyone ask a serious mechanical question at this party? 

I know!

This is a safe space for spewing complete B.S., to bloviate, to whine, and to argue endlessly with like-minded retards. :D

No problem! The circlips have a little "bump" on them to facilitate rotating them around to get to the open ends. The "bump" was what was throwing me off. Never seen that before. Once I got the thing up in the air where I could clean the area and see what was there, no problemo

20160423_181922.jpg

20160423_190752.jpg

Here's the little mo-fo that was leaking!

20160423_192435.jpg