Helmets

Looking for some helmet recommendations. I ride mainly street and currently use a Afx Fx-41. Its a nice helmet but it is loud (I wear earplugs) and heavy. I just did a 1.5 hour back country road ride and my neck is killing me. Time to find something new.

I run the bell mx-9 Adventure, and am very happy with it. However, I only can compare it it a bell vortex, which is a street helmet. But the MX-9 is far quieter, lighter, and has a letter FOV.

My only gripes are that it will start fogging up of the temperatures are less than 40, and I am going less than 35 miles per hour. And I wish they would have put the magnetic strap keeper on it that they use on the street helmets.

• Like 1

I got my eyes on this bad boy ....  :thumbsup:  mainly because it is the lightest out there at 3lbs ... it is really a street bike helmet with a visor 

2013-suomy-mx-tourer-review-3.jpg

I currently have a GMax (the white one)  and I also have the same one as my son (the red one)  I would just like to try a high quality helmet ... I like the Icon too

post-327736-14383199607392.jpg

Edited by gnath9

I have the Cyber UX-32, same as AFX 39DS, MSR Expedition and a couple others. My gripes are fogging up at low speeds when offroading in the cold, believe if I got a breath box that would help. Secondly but a bigger gripe is that the shield only has three positions, closed, half opened, fully opened. Closed is fine, as is fully opened, but half opened is useless because it puts the edge of the shield right in your vision line. Got mine on closeout cause of color, so for $40 I can't complain too much, plus now I know I like the DS style helmets for on anD off road riding.

Just a little heads up to keep an eye on as far as the shields go. I know the some of the helmets out there open with three clicks, some more.

I haven't tried the Icon Variant, but know a couple guys who absolutely love theirs. Plus Icon's main headquarters is only 60 or 70 miles from my house.

• Like 1

I have the Cyber UX-32, same as AFX 39DS, MSR Expedition and a couple others. My gripes are fogging up at low speeds when offroading in the cold, believe if I got a breath box that would help. Secondly but a bigger gripe is that the shield only has three positions, closed, half opened, fully opened. Closed is fine, as is fully opened, but half opened is useless because it puts the edge of the shield right in your vision line. Got mine on closeout cause of color, so for $40 I can't complain too much, plus now I know I like the DS style helmets for on anD off road riding.

Just a little heads up to keep an eye on as far as the shields go. I know the some of the helmets out there open with three clicks, some more.

I haven't tried the Icon Variant, but know a couple guys who absolutely love theirs. Plus Icon's main headquarters is only 60 or 70 miles from my house.

I went with the gmax at first because it also has a cold weather kit ... dual pane shield, chin skirt and breath box 

I really like the Suomy mix jump for dirt because of lightness and high quality, but don't care for visors when riding dual sport due to wind effects. Looking at Bell Star for street and d.s. As it is really light

• Like 1

Rudejude, I got this

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/klim-glacier-balaclava.html

Balaclava and wear it from around 6 degrees down to minus 5, and get no fogging.

It's light weight so does not get too hot, and the over to collar design makes it easy to put on.

It's my favourite piece of gear. No fogged up goggles and no cold chin.

Klim makes great stuff ... and if anyone knows how to beat the fog it would be you guys way up north ...  :goofy:

Rudejude, I got this

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/klim-glacier-balaclava.html

Balaclava and wear it from around 6 degrees down to minus 5, and get no fogging.

It's light weight so does not get too hot, and the over to collar design makes it easy to put on.

It's my favourite piece of gear. No fogged up goggles and no cold chin.

I've looked at those, I already have a regular baclava, plus the breath box for my helmet is only $15.

But those duck billed baclavas would be multi use for someone who had several helmets they wear in the cold.

Okay so I'm putting in my helmet spill. I'm on my 4th helmet now. My first helmet was a HJC IS MAX Modular helmet It worked well for the first couple months I had it but the fit was too round for me. Weight is 3.97 pounds.

So I ordered a Vemar Modular on Closeout at Revzilla It's fit was a little better, The cool thing about is the paint glows in the dark. And it has the rachet style chin strap. The internal sun shield lever leaks air so it's especially loud on one side of the helmet compared to the other side. Helmet weighs 4.35 pounds, felt lighter than my HJC just because of the better fit. Fit is called Mid Oval

vemar_jianoevo-tc_glow_glowing.jpg

But I wanted more air flow and more of an oval fit. So I found the LS2 MX453 while researching the Speed and Strength SS2500. I ordered on because it's a long oval shape and it was $150 on Amazon. I crash tested that helmet less than a month after buying it and it did it's job. I'm still here with no injuries to my head area. They used standard D rings on this helmet design. Airflow is nice and the peak doesn't drag at highway speeds very much, but you can't adjust the peak. The visor works on a friction system so they are not detents with you move the visor up and down, which I actually like. Allows you freedom to lift the visor as much or as little as you want. Helmet weighs 3 lbs and is DOT & ECE 22.05 certified. Long Oval fit

ls2_mx453_hi_viz_helmet_hi_viz_yellow_de

So after the crash tested my mx453 I ordered another LS2 which just came in. It's the LS2 Pioneer Trigger. Which is supposedly the updated version of the MX453, but I think it's a completely different model/design. All the vents are black on mine, so this picture below must be the prototype design. The graphics are sharp. The Peak is adjustable on this one and since the adjustment points aren't in the middle of the top of the helmet I can still mount my drift ghost on the top on my helmet in the center like my previous helmet. There are more vents it looks like so more airflow. Also, there is a drop down sun shield in this one. LS2 did something very cool with this helmet the inner liner is set up for people who wear glasses by making a space in the temple area so that your glasses fit nicely. This helmet is 2.87 pounds and is DOT & ECE 22.05 certified. Long Oval fit

MX436_PIONEER_Trigger_404362154_1.jpg

So I will always suggest LS2 to people. And it'll probably be my go to helmet supplier. 

http://www.ls2helmets.us/

Edited by Burgan
  • Like 1

If you like quality and don't mind spending the $$$, check out an Arai XD4. Awesome helmet!

• Like 2

I have an Arai XD4 and my only gripe is it is louder than I would have thought it would be. Nothing earplugs can't take care of, though. And the peak is well designed so that it does not jerk your head around when out on the road. Also have a Fox V1, this peak does jerk your head around. Other than that it is a comfortable helmet.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1461448082.668552.jpg

After checking them out, the Arai xd4 looks like the way to go for me. I am somewhat brand loyal though, and have always really liked my Arai helmets on the street. Right now I have an Arai and a Bell. Both helmets full faced. I've never had a dirt, ds, or adventure style helmet before, but I want to pick one up soon.

I vote for the xd4 Arai, and I imagine it is worth every cent too.

I vote for the xd4 Arai, and I imagine it is worth every cent too.

It is, supremely comfortable if it fits your head shape.

problem with helmets is the different makers make helmets for different shaped heads, one that fits your head perfectly is murder to someone else.

I have a shoei shaped head and have worn shoei street helmets for many years and just suck it up when paying for them.

so when I picked up Annie I looked at the Shoei adventure helmet and wanted to cry. a friend who also suffers from Shoei shaped head told me to check out FLY and rejoice! they make helmets for Shoei shaped heads for much less. I picked up the FLY Racing trekker adventure helmet and am very happy with it, at least in the warmer months, it flows a ton of air to keep you cool which is a bad thing in the winter.

fortunately it is only cold here a couple weeks out of the year.  :p

interestingly, there is a heated face shield made for them.

trekkerbanner(1).jpg

• Like 1