6 years with my CRF

I just sold my 2009 that I bought new in 2010. I put over 160 hours on and it was a great bike. Buying it in 2010 permitted me to do all the mods that had been tested over the previous year - Eddies re-map, lowered shock, Hinson clutch, 49 tooth sprocket, FMF exhaust. I used the bike exclusively for MX and it never broke down on me. Three top ends, one bottom, and one head refresh. The valves never moved. I replaced the fuel filter three times and filtered all the gas. The original fuel pump was still going strong. I have to say I did less on the motor than I have on my 2007 CR250R in the same time. I'm going to miss her.

Your going to regret selling her...  

Had an 09 & now own a 10 model I picked up as a left over in the spring of 12.  Even though these bikes got bad reviews I found the 09-12's CRF450's to be very good mx bikes after a revalve / resprung, remap & a Yoshimura RS4 complete set up.   Those mods alone really help these models from the showroom floor & felt it made them exceptional bikes.    Light weight bikes with very good turning, handling & have been bullet proof for me.   As a vet intermediate mx rider I found the motor to have plenty of power through the entire rpm range with a remap combined with the Yosh system.  I still own the 10 since it's dialed & don't believe Honda has made enough improvements to the 13 + for me to buy a new 450.     

• Like 2

Your going to regret selling her...

Had an 09 & now own a 10 model I picked up as a left over in the spring of 12. Even though these bikes got bad reviews I found the 09-12's CRF450's to be very good mx bikes after a revalve / resprung, remap & a Yoshimura RS4 complete set up. Those mods alone really help these models from the showroom floor & felt it made them exceptional bikes. Light weight bikes with very good turning, handling & have been bullet proof for me. As a vet intermediate mx rider I found the motor to have plenty of power through the entire rpm range with a remap combined with the Yosh system. I still own the 10 since it's dialed & don't believe Honda has made enough improvements to the 13 + for me to buy a new 450.

I agree that the 13+ CRF wasn't worth upgrading to and I hope the 17 is much improved. I rode my 09 back to back with a 15 and I couldn't justify the difference in cost.

I agree that the 09-12 seems to be just fine as far as handling and ergos go. I'm not sure why the mags hated them so much. Other than the forks feeling harsh (which I have not found a stock setup that didn't) I love the power out put. My 02, 04 and 06kx450 all wore me out fast and this motor is butter smooth and light to boot. Now I just need factory connection to polish out the harshness.

I agree that the 09-12 seems to be just fine as far as handling and ergos go. I'm not sure why the mags hated them so much. Other than the forks feeling harsh (which I have not found a stock setup that didn't) I love the power out put. My 02, 04 and 06kx450 all wore me out fast and this motor is butter smooth and light to boot. Now I just need factory connection to polish out the harshness.

MDK did the 09 suspension & FC has done the 10 model.  I would highly recommend sending your suspension to FC as they have updated valving specs & a rear shock mod for the 09-12 models that is very good.  The 10 revalved / resprung FC suspension is very plush with a progressive feel.  In stock form the forks are harsh in the mid stroke with the shock being decent with different clicker settings.  I tried heavier springs / different oil heights first & couldn't get the suspension to work for me.  It wasn't till I got a revalve that really made the suspension & chassis superb in my experience.     

Edited by H4L

I just sold my 2009 that I bought new in 2010. I put over 160 hours on and it was a great bike. Buying it in 2010 permitted me to do all the mods that had been tested over the previous year - Eddies re-map, lowered shock, Hinson clutch, 49 tooth sprocket, FMF exhaust. I used the bike exclusively for MX and it never broke down on me. Three top ends, one bottom, and one head refresh. The valves never moved. I replaced the fuel filter three times and filtered all the gas. The original fuel pump was still going strong. I have to say I did less on the motor than I have on my 2007 CR250R in the same time. I'm going to miss her.

Preventive Maintenance is king

Look after your bike and it will look after you, the above is proof

I have a 2005 that is like that , it,s an older bike that has taken years to set it up perfect for my riding style & it has never broken down or even  had a misfire.   Apart from operator error

I will never sell it ,it will be pasted down to my boys

• Like 1

Preventive Maintenance is king

Look after your bike and it will look after you, the above is proof

I have a 2005 that is like that , it,s an older bike that has taken years to set it up perfect for my riding style & it has never broken down or even  had a misfire.   Apart from operator error

I will never sell it ,it will be pasted down to my boys

UHF we are alot alike. Mine is an 03 and as you have seen from my earlier post, I try to take the best care/maintenance on it that I am capable of. I have absolutely loved thumpers since their introduction into the market in early 00's. These machines to me are that of say a carbed muscle car to folks who love cars. There is just no replacement. Technology will bring about better and nicer stuff without question, but these bikes are timeless. Atleast they are to me.

Without a doubt, models improve with each year and generation. When Yamaha came out with the YZ400F, I thought it was the coolest, most trick bike I have ever seen. I had to have one. Once I rode it, and figured out it was pretty much a dragster, and coming off my 93 CR250 at the time, found very quickly that it just wouldn't turn. Then Honda came out with the 02 CRF450, and I said bye bye Blue, and back at home on the red team.. It was leaps and bounds better than the Yamaha.. So light on the front end, better suspended, and such a smooth power delivery.. It was awesome.. until I rode a friends 05, then I started to see what everyone was saying about the frame geometry, and I sold that bike too. Again, comparing it to my 05 CR250 at the time, it showed up quickly it's flaws in stock trim.

I had 2 08 450's that were so good I couldn't believe how I ever rode the 02, everything just worked so nicely together, and that motor torque was insane. I also have a 13 CRF 250, that has massive confidence inspiring attributes, and feels much like my friends 09 450, (same generation frame) and currently my 13 450.

After switching back to some of the older model bikes I've had, and then getting right back into the seat of my new bike, it's clear that the newest version is in my mind, just a bit better.. A little smoother motor, better bottoming resistance, feels lighter, and turns into corners better..

Edited by HRC4

What are you going to ride now?

I had a 12 with FC suspension.  Very good set up indeed.  I now have a 15 and I feel the refinements are definitely better than the 12 and don't regret the update one bit.  Both are great bikes, but the 15 is definitely better all around....except where the put the damn ECM. 

I had a 12 with FC suspension. Very good set up indeed. I now have a 15 and I feel the refinements are definitely better than the 12 and don't regret the update one bit. Both are great bikes, but the 15 is definitely better all around....except where the put the damn ECM.

15 has the air shocks right? What do you think of them compared to springs?

15 has the air shocks right? What do you think of them compared to springs?

I have no problem with the air suspension....but I had them redone by Moto R Perfected.  They work great for me.  I think they have a better range of all-round motion

• Like 1

I have no problem with the air suspension....but I had them redone by Moto R Perfected. They work great for me. I think they have a better range of all-round motion

I feel the same way.. Mines only a 13, but I feel the lightness of unsprung weight. I feel the wheel follows the ground better, and gives the sure footed confidence to go in a little faster.. Also I find the bottoming resistance to be very very good, when you over jump and land on the flat, the fork always seems to be able to take the hit better than any spring fork I've had.. That being said, I'm old, and not any means super fast or turning pro, but I'm happy with how they work for the general population.

I feel the same way.. Mines only a 13, but I feel the lightness of unsprung weight. I feel the wheel follows the ground better, and gives the sure footed confidence to go in a little faster.. Also I find the bottoming resistance to be very very good, when you over jump and land on the flat, the fork always seems to be able to take the hit better than any spring fork I've had.. That being said, I'm old, and not any means super fast or turning pro, but I'm happy with how they work for the general population.

well put!  the bottoming resistance is superior to any spring forks I've ridden as well

• Like 1