Is this big bore kit any good?

http://lukesracing.com/luksr/drz400_bigbore_stroker_485.htm

i already have the kit just wondering if its any good. i have a fcr39 already and a yoshi pipe. i ordered a spare head so i can begin working on my +1mm valves both in and ex. its also going to be ported along with moldstar valve seats and custom valve guides made for the head. i have access to the machines needed to do this and my friend i work for has been doing this for years and has made a good name for himself for headwork so i feel it will be a very nice flowing and well built head. I'm ordering custom ground cams from web just haven't decided on springs and retainers. I've found kibble white but my friend has had problems with his race motors with them over the years but they run 15.1 compression. I'm also getting the valves made not sure if i wanna go 45 degree angle or jump to 50 or even 55 so ill wait till I'm done to order them. any info or advice you guys have please feel free to speak up.

Yeah ... This piston is a Nice piston , the problem is it's a 2 ring piston ( 1 compression ring and the oil ring set ) . This well made piston at 95 mm + has caused overheating issues in the past .

The 470 or 462 stroker kits are a better choice .

The best way is a JE or equivalent 3 ring piston , the 3 ring provides a greater durability .

• Like 3

If it's 3 then nothing wrong with it . Does it say which cylinder is used ?  their own sleeved oem ?  I didn't think there was enough meat to reliably sleeve them .  I had looked at them(Luke's) when in the market for my setup but ended up going to BP Racing .

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 1

Yea it's got 3 I had to pull it out and check. I'm pretty sure it's a stroker piston also and not just a big bore piston that I'm gonna put a crank under. I would much rather have the piston designed for the stroke.

I would but I don't have the motor apart. I'm waiting on the head I just ordered and gonna do all my headwork and get my cams and springs and shit before I tear it apart.

I would much rather have the piston designed for the stroke.

Yes, me too, not that I ever do that sort of thing. :D:lol:

Welcome to the board and thanks for sharing your project. This should be fun!

http://lukesracing.com/luksr/drz400_bigbore_stroker_485.htm

. I've found kibble white but my friend has had problems with his race motors with them over the years but they run 15.1 compression.

If he's really running 15:1 that could be part of the problem. Most only go 14:1

I want to be able to run 93 from the pump, so maybe 12 to 13:1?

If he's really running 15:1 that could be part of the problem. Most only go 14:1

I want to be able to run 93 from the pump, so maybe 12 to 13:1?

Yea they are full blow race motors tho. He makes more power out of the stock bore then they do on big bores. The connecting rod pin in the crank has to be welded in place because then tend to spin.

not sure if I'm gonna do a whole build thread. i usually just do it and never remember to take any pictures of anything then I'm like o well maybe next time. but i can post up the results from the dyno. but its not a motorcycle dyno. its a 800lb drum 4 wheeler dyno. i have thought about riding it when its done to a town near by and running it on the motorcycle dyno. thats only if they will let me run my bike and not them. i do have experience on a dyno jet so it shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1