setting timing

Does anyone know the proper procedure for settong timing on an 2006 YZ 125 ? Do I need tools and special dial indiciators ? thanks

Step 1: Get a manual

Step 2: Follow the manual

:lol:

You can also go to the YZ timing thread. It's a sticky on this forum. But really, getting a manual is not a  joke. You need one.

Yes, you need a dial indicator. No other special tools required.

You can do this without a dial indicator. What matters is how well the bike runs, not what the dial indicator says. Read the threads on this. You can just loosen the stator and rotate it slightly CW or CCW and then test the bike. Before you do, add a witness mark so you can put it back how it was.

Does anyone know the proper procedure for settong timing on an 2006 YZ 125 ? Do I need tools and special dial indiciators ? thanks

I have a manual and I have a dial indicator but how do I get the adaptor for the spark plug hole ?

OK so I made my own from a compression tester collar, drilled and tapped it with a 3.5mm to make my own set screw. I'll try it out later.

Edited by nicko-31

This is what I came up with.

Perfect! I made mine from an old spark plug, but yours looks nicer.

Now just follow the procedure in the manual. Set to 0 at TDC, then rotate CW to proper distance BTDC and adjust stator plate position so that the marks align there.

The marks on both the flywheel and stator ? Correct ?

Correct. I haven't looked at my 125 in a while, but I just did my 250, and on the 250 there is a line on the flywheel and another on the stator plate (around 8 oclock or so). These need to be perfectly aligned when the piston is the correct distance BTDC. (The alignment of the lines tells you when the spark occurs.)

I forget the spec for the 125, but I think it was something like .017" BTDC? It is definitely in the manual.