Am I big enough for a 250f?

Hey everyone,

I am 13 and 5'10" and still growing. Right now I am on a YZ85. Am very serious about racing and am looking for a big step up. My question is, would I be big enough for a 250f? Also, if anyone rides a 250f, please let me know what you think about it. Thank you!!

5' 10" is pretty tall for an 85. You could move to a 125/150. It might be a bit easier of a transition. Still having the full size benefits while minimizing weight gain and having too much power.

The only issue I would have with a 150 is that I might grow out of it. Do you think I could fit on a 250?

The only issue I would have with a 150 is that I might grow out of it. Do you think I could fit on a 250?

Sorry that's my fault for not being specific enough. I was implying a bike such as a KTM 150SX. It is a full size bike like any of the Japanese 250F's except it would be cheaper to maintain, lighter weight, and the power delivery would feel more relateable to your 85. I wasn't referring to like a Honda CRF150R/F. Edited by motonack

Ok, thank you for clearing that up. I had no idea about the 150's. I will look into these. Oh, and are 125's the same size as 150's and would there be any advantages over the other?

Ok, thank you for clearing that up. I had no idea about the 150's. I will look into these. Oh, and are 125's the same size as 150's and would there be any advantages over the other?

Yeah the 125's such as a 125SX from KTM or a YZ125 from Yamaha would be nearly identical to the 150SX, just the 150 has slightly more power. Everything else is the same.

you will fit a 250f

Ok, thanks for the replys motonack and blakemoss50. I will look into both of theese. Thanks again!!

+1 on the 125/144/150 2 stroke. You'd move up to a full size bike and get a moderate power increase while maintaining the nimble 2 stroke feel and hit that you're used to.

I'd suggest test driving a 250 4 stroke before buying one. Try to get on one for more than a half hour or so. Ideally you have a buddy who rides a 250 4 stroke and would be willing to trade bikes for a day. I won't rant but for my own reasons and after owning both I prefer a 2 stroke.

Good luck!

Edited by zderekv

Thanks everyone! I just talked to the guy at my local ktm store about the 125's and 150's. He said the 125 would be more of an mx bike while a 150 would be better for trail. Do you guys agree? Also, im afraid I would get too big for the power and size of the 125. Im hoping to have this bike for a while. Would I ever need an upgrade to a 250f or 250?

Edited by Swag Nation

Bump

You could ride a 250 for sure but if I were you I would go for the 125 it will have the feel of the 2 stroke you are used to but with more power and if you get a nice one and put some $ into it you can make it a lot quicker than a stock one I'm 6'0 and my 125 still scares me sometimes

Will I grow out of ut eventually? I am probably going to be 6'1" 6'2".

Bump

Edited by Swag Nation

Height and age are less of a factor than weight.  If you're 6'2" and 230lbs, you'll be a tad heavy for the 125.  But that doesn't mean you shouldn't get it.  I have a friend who's probably 225lbs, and the 125 is plenty for him, you've just got to ride it aggressive, probably just how you ride your 85.   You'll find that the 125 is a great bike for all ages and sizes and skill levels.  I've been riding (as many have) for 20+ years.  The 125 is still the funnest bike to ride, and the newer YZs are some of the best all-around bikes available.  If you read some magazine reviews on newer 125's they all end the same way....."MAN, this is the funnest bike I've ridden" or "MAN, I forgot how much fun these are to ride."  As others said, it's a very close relative to your 85, nimble, light, free spinning motor, similar maintenance.  A 250f will be nearly opposite, not as nimble, heavier, tons of compression braking, and different maintenance.

And no the 150SX (hint SX) is not a trail bike, it has a linkage and moto suspension just like the 125.  I'd recommend the YZ over the SX just because of the suspension.

Ok, thanks for the in-depth review. That firms up my decision. YZ125. Sounds like I could grow with the bike for as long as I want to. Ill start shopping around. Thank you for all of the replys everyone!!