Yz250 hard to start

So yesterday i got a yz250 and it's pretty hard to start. It has a crap ton of compression but I'm kicking it pretty hard. It has a brand new spark plug and all, and once it's started it rides really well. Any reasons it might be hard to start?

Are you choking it?

Cold-Choke on. Push kicker slowly 3 times. Then kick hard.

If compression is stupid you can put it in gear and rock it Back and forth. Then kick.

All two strokes like the slow prime.

Yeah, make sure fuel is on  :rolleyes:, choke her with both hands, slowly kick her 2 or 3 times, then kick her real nice and hard.

Chris Brewer

Cold-Choke on. Push kicker slowly 3 times. Then kick hard.

If compression is stupid you can put it in gear and rock it Back and forth. Then kick.

All two strokes like the slow prime.

Same thing can be accomplished by simply leaning the bike over 50-60 degrees for 5-10 seconds with fuel valve on.

Although I don't do the prime. My bikes start first or second kick cold and always first kick hot.

I had a KTM 300 and if the wind blew on the kickstarter the bike would fire up. I won't start my YZ250 without boots. Kills my foot. It's really tough to kick all the way through it but that's what you need to do. Think about karate chopping a board - don't let up, go right through it. None of that half-hearted stuff. Ratchet the kickstarter until its up top and kick it like you mean it. Make sure your carb is dialed in properly. My bike starts 1st or second kick, cold, choked as long as I kick it like a man (LOL!), 1st kick no choke if warm.

Congrats on the YZ. Post pics.

Edited by zderekv

I had a KTM 300 and if the wind blew on the kickstarter the bike would fire up. I won't start my YZ250 without boots. Kills my foot. It's really tough to kick all the way through it but that's what you need to do. Think about karate chopping a board - don't let up, go right through it. None of that half-hearted stuff. Ratchet the kickstarter until its up top and kick it like you mean it. Make sure your carb is dialed in properly. My bike starts 1st or second kick, cold, choked as long as I kick it like a man (LOL!), 1st kick no choke if warm.

Congrats on the YZ. Post pics.

Thanks for all the advice, but I think the plug keeps fouling on it. Maybe it needs to be rejetted? Idk. I'm gonna call a guy I know who does this stuff for a living and see what he thinks.

Thanks for all the advice, but I think the plug keeps fouling on it. Maybe it needs to be rejetted? Idk. I'm gonna call a guy I know who does this stuff for a living and see what he thinks.

I know this is a few weeks old, but we got the problem fixed. The spark plug wasn't burning the carbon off, so it wasn't getting spark. To fix this, we just bought an iridium spark plug and now it starts 1-2 kicks.

Nice.

Good to hear you got it fixed! I agree with the above - post some pics :) Oh and you might have to change your name on here now haha ;)

I love a simple solution to a complicated problem. Some 2 strokes tend to eat plugs so carry a spare (new). Glad to hear you got it right. Pics?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1463161003.415172.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1463161022.732447.jpg

This is it the first day we got it.. We haven't ordered the graphics yet but we definitely are going to.

I love a simple solution to a complicated problem. Some 2 strokes tend to eat plugs so carry a spare (new). Glad to hear you got it right. Pics?

Forgot to tag you in the pics

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1463399508.594775.jpg

Just got this yesterday. graphics kit soon to come