Yz250 hard to start

So yesterday i got a yz250 and it's pretty hard to start. It has a crap ton of compression but I'm kicking it pretty hard. It has a brand new spark plug and all, and once it's started it rides really well. Any reasons it might be hard to start?

Cold-Choke on. Push kicker slowly 3 times. Then kick hard.

If compression is stupid you can put it in gear and rock it Back and forth. Then kick.

All two strokes like the slow prime.

Same thing can be accomplished by simply leaning the bike over 50-60 degrees for 5-10 seconds with fuel valve on.

Although I don't do the prime. My bikes start first or second kick cold and always first kick hot.

• Like 1

I had a KTM 300 and if the wind blew on the kickstarter the bike would fire up. I won't start my YZ250 without boots. Kills my foot. It's really tough to kick all the way through it but that's what you need to do. Think about karate chopping a board - don't let up, go right through it. None of that half-hearted stuff. Ratchet the kickstarter until its up top and kick it like you mean it. Make sure your carb is dialed in properly. My bike starts 1st or second kick, cold, choked as long as I kick it like a man (LOL!), 1st kick no choke if warm.

Congrats on the YZ. Post pics.

Edited by zderekv

I had a KTM 300 and if the wind blew on the kickstarter the bike would fire up. I won't start my YZ250 without boots. Kills my foot. It's really tough to kick all the way through it but that's what you need to do. Think about karate chopping a board - don't let up, go right through it. None of that half-hearted stuff. Ratchet the kickstarter until its up top and kick it like you mean it. Make sure your carb is dialed in properly. My bike starts 1st or second kick, cold, choked as long as I kick it like a man (LOL!), 1st kick no choke if warm.

Congrats on the YZ. Post pics.

Thanks for all the advice, but I think the plug keeps fouling on it. Maybe it needs to be rejetted? Idk. I'm gonna call a guy I know who does this stuff for a living and see what he thinks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice, but I think the plug keeps fouling on it. Maybe it needs to be rejetted? Idk. I'm gonna call a guy I know who does this stuff for a living and see what he thinks.

I know this is a few weeks old, but we got the problem fixed. The spark plug wasn't burning the carbon off, so it wasn't getting spark. To fix this, we just bought an iridium spark plug and now it starts 1-2 kicks.

• Like 2

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1463161003.415172.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1463161022.732447.jpg

This is it the first day we got it.. We haven't ordered the graphics yet but we definitely are going to.

I love a simple solution to a complicated problem. Some 2 strokes tend to eat plugs so carry a spare (new). Glad to hear you got it right. Pics?

Forgot to tag you in the pics
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
46 minutes ago, Thatonemxkid said:

My ‘01. Got it three days ago. Still gotta get the whole compression thing figured out but am getting an iridium spark plug to see if it helps

BD62FDB6-B64E-428D-BE8C-63493711860C.jpeg

DD5675F4-FB52-4ACF-9A90-D99BAB97662B.jpeg

15CE9FD1-3B65-4900-9215-01600D203C61.jpeg

You need nothing but a standard br8 plug, if that doesn't work then something needs attention

Edited by Smoking 2's

Thatone,
Congrats on your new bike. You brought an old thread back to life. Are you having start issues?

FWIW, my YZ250’s one vulnerability to plug fouling is just after the first start. I’ve had a few times when I get it started and am trying to warm it up, maybe letting it idle unattended while I finish getting ready, or where maybe I start riding a bit too soon (albeit gingerly), where if it stalls, it becomes hard to restart without a new plug. Has happened maybe 2-3 times in a year.

I think the key is to keep it running until it is truly well warmed up. Once warm, it’s always a one kick start for me.

Nice to see all the older YZ’s. Here’s mine. 98 250 I got for $600. Peeled the rhino liner off the tank so now it is opaque. Supposedly had a pretty new top end. Came with a Pro Circuit platinum pipe and 304 silencer, Applied Racing triple clamps, cycra brush guards along with a stator to run some headlights and a fly wheel weight. Haven’t cracked it open yet to see what the weight is. Compression feels ok on the kick but haven’t checked it with a gauge yet. Only problem I have found is it leaks a bit of unspent fuel/oil out the power valve linkage cover on the right side as you sit on it. Pretty sure it is the o-ring(s) but have not dig into it yet. Starts first or second kick cold with choke on and first kick hot if I kick it like i m an it. Even has a trail tech kickstand on it! All in all a great bike for what I paid.

• Like 2