97 XR650L Transmission kicks into gear, won't move

Good afternoon,

I'm trying to rebuilt the transmission on my XR650L and I'd like to know ahead of time what may be wrong with it. 

The issue started when the bike would either not be able to switch gears, or switch gears without making a definitive "click" with the shifter.

I figured the syncros were wearing out

Then yesterday I tried riding it and shifting second to third just put the bike into neutral.

I could still shift all the gears with that "click" of the shifter, but in each gear the bike won't get power to the wheels.

Looking at a diagramlike below,

Does anyone know a specific gear that may be broken that needs a replacement, like a weakest link gear?

http://xr650r.evanfell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Honda_XR650R_transmission-597x600.gif

Also, if I end up having to get a replacement engine (the old one has 50000 miles on it), would an XR650 engine fit an XR650L frame and carb?

Does anyone know specific bike engine years that would work best? I know the bike has been almost unchanged since the 90s

Thanks,

-D

Edited by mckenneth

I split mine a few years ago due to the previous owner breaking the splined end of the selector/shifter shaft off at the case. Was not REAL bad to do with a manual, but not what I would call a fun day. I doubt what you have going on is gears though. I would be more inclined to suspect something with the shifting drum.post-308817-0-31635400-1408718391.jpg

Image from this thread...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1100705-worst-stripped-shift-lever/

Parts diagram of the shift drum section. https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/oem.php?partcategory=679016&manufacturer=1&category=5&year=1997&model=25150

Edited by BFNC

Wow, can't believe you got 50k miles out of that. I have a good complete bottom end with tranny clutch stator etc for $500. Came out of a 2009 with 2700 miles.

Looks like you found MY engine build thread.

You most likely have a broken shift shaft return spring. A less than three dollar part that will require a COMPLETE engine disassembly.

Where in California are you?

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1461457982.882309.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1461458007.200986.jpg

Usually #9 gets damaged. No way of telling til you dig in and look or measure.

Your bike go down recently? Or just one day started motor to go ride and no gear clicking?

Sucks, open up. Take pics and post for us. Some of us will be able to help by seeing the photos.

Hobojon, where are you located? A 500 bottom end sounds tempting to have... I'm in So Cal.

Ya mcma that's what I thought, that spring is SO cheesy for being so hard to get to replace, it's weak in my fingers, but I guess it works. But for a bike that gets tossed around I don't like its strength

Hobojon, where are you located? A 500 bottom end sounds tempting to have... I'm in So Cal.

Ya mcma that's what I thought, that spring is SO cheesy for being so hard to get to replace, it's weak in my fingers, but I guess it works. But for a bike that gets tossed around I don't like its strength

WA state.

I can ship it UPS for prob $60. PM me if interested and I'll get you some pics.

Edited by hobojon

Hey thanks for the useful replies!

I didn't really make it to 50000 miles myself, the bike I bought from an older gentleman around the 40k mark and used it to practice wheelies, which also explains why the transmission went out. It sounds great that it's fixable for cheap, but I'm sure there are a lot more parts that are worn beyond repair. starting with the synchros.

Since I haven't ever torn a transmission apart, it would be a good place to start. But it seems more than likely that I need an entire bottom end replaced. Especially because I have a new cylinder and a top end.

It will take me a little while to disassemble, and by that time I'm sure your offer will be gone. But if you still have it, I could shoot you a message in a few weeks when I get around to disassembly

Would the end from a 2009 bike fit a 1997 frame and top end?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by mckenneth

Hey thanks for the useful replies!

I didn't really make it to 50000 miles myself, the bike I bought from an older gentleman around the 40k mark and used it to practice wheelies, which also explains why the transmission went out. It sounds great that it's fixable for cheap, but I'm sure there are a lot more parts that are worn beyond repair. starting with the synchros.

Since I haven't ever torn a transmission apart, it would be a good place to start. But it seems more than likely that I need an entire bottom end replaced. Especially because I have a new cylinder and a top end.

It will take me a little while to disassemble, and by that time I'm sure your offer will be gone. But if you still have it, I could shoot you a message in a few weeks when I get around to disassembly

Would the end from a 2009 bike fit a 1997 frame and top end?

Thanks for your help.

Yep, all the same.