Help Spend My Money

What I have is a $5,000.00 budget to build/buy two woods machines.  One for me, one for my 15 year old son.  We are looking strictly at 200-300cc two strokes.

Should we go after a pair of cheap Japanese motocrossers and build to our liking?  Maybe start with a KDX 200/220 and go from there?  For those of you who have built your own trail specific machines, where would you begin if you had to do it all over again?

Thanks in advance! 

I have a yz and cr being used in the woods. They are both good bike's.

Here orange bike's are supidly priced much of the time. If they weren't Id likely own one instead.

That's a tough budget in my opinion for two good reliable woods bikes.  You could try to get a couple KTM 200 XC-Ws but around here decent used one are at least $4K.  You could try to make a Japanese MX bike work but by the time you buy a decent YZ250 and then do everything to make it a good woods bike (large tank, flywheel weights, sprockets, etc) staying under $2,500 each might be tight.  You can try to get a cheaper, older YZ,CR,RM 250 but then they usually need some stuff fixed plus the cost of adding the larger tank, flywheel weights, sprockets, etc.  I think the KDX200/220 might be a good option if you can find two of them.  I don't see them pop up here in the used market very often.

I think at that budget you are going to have to be very opportunistic and take any of those above options that pop up.  Maybe one of each.

• Like 1

I'm another to suggest a KDX 200/220, to get two reliable, fun to ride bikes in your budget they are your best bet, converted MX bikes are a great option, but buying older to fit into your budget you'll need to allow at least $500 per bike for repair's, plus a few mods, mostly suspension and taming the engine (FWW, Gnarly pipe, jetting, quite muffler) add in barkbusters and a few other bits and pieces and your looking at more then your budget easily.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advise thus far.  I knew it was going to be a challenge to find what I was looking for within my budget.  I lucked out over the weekend as was able to score a newly restored 1992/93 (haven't checked the vin yet) Yamaha WR200.  This is rare and often unheard of trail bike from the early 90's.  200cc, new cylinder, new head, new crank seals, new plastics, powder coated frame, spare frame and plastics, so on and so on.  All for $1,500.00  This thing is a nice mild mannered ride that is perfect for my son.

One bike down, one to go...

What can I score for $3,500.00?..

wr200.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the advise thus far.  I knew it was going to be a challenge to find what I was looking for within my budget.  I lucked out over the weekend as was able to score a newly restored 1992/93 (haven't checked the vin yet) Yamaha WR200.  This is rare and often unheard of trail bike from the early 90's.  200cc, new cylinder, new head, new crank seals, new plastics, powder coated frame, spare frame and plastics, so on and so on.  All for $1,500.00  This thing is a nice mild mannered ride that is perfect for my son.

One bike down, one to go...

What can I score for $3,500.00?..

wr200.jpg

Nice find!! they are a brilliant trail bike that's for sure, they were alot more popular here in Australia then in the states.

i think for 3.5k you could easily pick up a well cared for GasGas EC250 or 300, which are another excellent bike

I own a Gas Gas trials bike and wouldn't suggest buying a Gas Gas at the moment.  Parts were never easy to get and now with the new ownership basically throwing the old parts suppliers under the bus I think it may be even harder for a bit.

I ended up finding a 2005 250exc. Many new parts and misc accessories for 2,200.

Now time to make some improvements.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1461887548.633416.jpg

• Like 1