Antigravity Batteries Product Giveaways - ENTER NOW! Read more... ×

XT550 Possible Aftermarket Pickup Coil Solution

Just wanted to post an update real quick. I just got the 2 new pickup coils in from ebay for the final model. I am going to make it out of some scrap 1/4" steel that I had from a previous project. I'm going to secure the pickup coils to the bracket with high temp epoxy or maybe JB Weld. I will post pictures, videos and dimensions of the final product so you can make it all yourself. Most likely I will start a new thread titled Confirmed Yamaha XT550 DIY Dual Pickup Coil Assembly.

Hi PumpkinRecine,

I recently bought a XT550 and am curious how the pick up coil project is going. My bike is down for the same reason and I'm having a hell of a time finding a replacement.

I got the bike to fire over and work, but I did not make a 100% great bracket. I honestly just don't have the time to finish this AND a running 1990 DR350 fell into my lap for $550 bucks. If you were to make the bracket and mount the coils the engine would run fine. It is just a matter of getting the new coils to be EXACTLY where the stock ones are positioned. I was off a little and nearly broke my leg from the kick back (it ripped the bottom of my vans in half). 

If you need help or have any questions about how fire away. 

Good day Gentlemen

I also can't find a replacement pickup coil for similar model Yamaha and am interested in building one myself using your experience shared here.

Can you perhaps point me to the location of the videos linked in this thread? They seem to have been removed. 

Do you perhaps have any measurements/dimensions  of the original coil, e.g. of the hole spacing, distance between the two contacts etc.?

Other advice most welcome.

Much appreciated

Edited by Spoor
Wished to add additional relevant question