2016 KTM Spoke Nipple Size M4.5 Equates to What Spoke Wrench Head

Manual states it is a M4.5 for both front an rear but what spoke wrench head size does that equate too?

5.2, 5.4, 5.6, 5.8, 6.0, 6.2, 6.4, 6.6, 6.8 mm?

Thanks

Just returned to say that my 2016 KTM 450 SXF is not 6.8mm. It is 6.9mm.

I bought the Tusk Spoke Torque Wrench kit. 6.8mm head will in no way fit. 

I just bought the tusk kit yesterday.Does it come with the 6.9 head?cant imagine tusk not providing a head with the kit to fit ktm.

I just bought the tusk kit yesterday.Does it come with the 6.9 head?cant imagine tusk not providing a head with the kit to fit ktm.

It comes with the 6.9mm head thankfully. It is the largest one.

I have the Fasst Company torque wrench and it's 6.8mm. The bike is a 16 450 SXF.

Edited by Mxken

I have the Fasst Company torque wrench and it's 6.8mm. The bike is a 16 450 SXF.

That is really odd? I assure you I tried the 6.8mm head and there was no way it was going on. Only the Tusk 6.9mm would go on. Either way the Tusk kit is cheaper I think and comes with all the heads. In my case the 6.9mm head. I also have a 2016 KTM 450SXF.

That is really odd? I assure you I tried the 6.8mm head and there was no way it was going on. Only the Tusk 6.9mm would go on. Either way the Tusk kit is cheaper I think and comes with all the heads. In my case the 6.9mm head. I also have a 2016 KTM 450SXF.

The tusk kit was quite a bit cheaper $90 compared to $200 for the fasst wrench kit.Fasst sells just the wrench with no heads also for same price as the tusk kit....was a no brainier.

Roger that Mobgma, measured my 6.8 mm fasst co. head and it measures in at 6.92mm.  Weird to say the least.  Sorry about that!  Glad ya got it sorted.

Roger that Mobgma, measured my 6.8 mm fasst co. head and it measures in at 6.92mm.  Weird to say the least.  Sorry about that!  Glad ya got it sorted.

6.9mm it is!

Got my tusk wrench today.Yeap 6.9 on all of my bikes.What a nicely crafted tool...top quality.None of my spokes were even close to 6nm / 53 in lbf, lol.

Edited by Genesis Sports Nutrition

Got my tusk wrench today.Yeap 6.9 on all of my bikes.What a nicely crafted tool...top quality.None of my spokes were even close to 6nm / 53 in lbf, lol.

I was a little more conservative and set it 50 in lbs (under the manuals stated 52 in lbs. Not too tight but def. not too loose.

I agree, what a handy tool at a far better price. 

Edited by mobgma

I was a little more conservative and set it 50 in lbs (under the manuals stated 52 in lbs. Not too tight but def. not too loose.

I agree, what a handy tool at a far better price.

Yeah,I actually did the same.in an attempt to keep it as true as possible I started at 40 doing every fourth spoke approx a quarter turn at a time to "reel in" the looser ones first,then repeated at 45 and finally at 50.I noticed fasst presets theirs at like 47 or something,they feel that's the sweet spot I guess.

I wanted to get a spoke torque kit and 2 separate wheel builders told me not to waste my time and adjust spokes and wheel by feel. Easy said for them .

I wanted to get a spoke torque kit and 2 separate wheel builders told me not to waste my time and adjust spokes and wheel by feel. Easy said for them .

It probably is easier for them. I am not a wheel builder and lack the precision needed built from building them every day. I bought a set(excel) and ended up buying a Fasst head for the Ktm. It works in the excel wrench. It's an amazing difference in bike feel if it is something that has been neglected as it had on some of my older bikes. It's an expensive tool to buy for such a limited function. As my skill set as a rider improves I have found this to add to the consistency of my bikes. It helps me trust my bike and myself in reading the info I am receiving from the bike.

The torque wrench may be overkill for some but I would recommend it to those that don't feel like their own skills are that of a pro mechanic. I'm not judging anyone's choice but with top of the line boots and helmets pushing 600-700 dollars retail, some KTMs over $10,000, etc it ended up being a pretty small investment with a great return.