Yz295 build.. Millennium technologies recent change

I guess I'm not "legit" either but I've never ripped anyone off or not followed through with an agreement. The quality of my products is top notch and I sell parts all over the world. I usually get back to my customers within minutes, even if it's like 2am.

Those comments are applicable to this discussion. And imo EG couldn't claim about his business what you claim about your business.

I too run an Internet business and do all business through paypal, email, text msg. I can claim the same attributes about my business that you do...but like I said I don't think EG can any more. Once maybe...but since he did some bad deals, or didn't make things right a time or 2, his rep is gonna suffer for a while.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Those comments are applicable to this discussion. And imo EG couldn't claim about his business what you claim about your business.

I too run an Internet business and do all business through paypal, email, text msg. I can claim the same attributes about my business that you do...but like I said I don't think EG can any more. Once maybe...but since he did some bad deals, or didn't make things right a time or 2, his rep is gonna suffer for a while.

Just my 2 cents.

I have seen plenty of "businesses" that spend a boat load making it look the part but not spending much effort on actually providing a quality service. Wealthy companies that have all the professional trappings but little of the actual quality. Its getting very hard and too expensive to start a biz that "looks" pro. If your an honest person you can do a  good job and maybe even better job with nothing but a smart phone and an email/web site. Of course there are many scams and these small startups make an easy platform for the bad guys BUT that doesnt mean there arent a few good ones.

As well we live in a complaint culture. Wen things go well most are quite about it. Wen somthing goes wrong we tell the world. Somewhat unbalanced. You can hit it out of the park all day and then hit one foul and your painted as no good. 

• Like 2

I'm sure Eric has done great work for people. However, if things go south, would you rather deal with a legit company, or a guy doing cylinders in his condo, with texting as his preferred method of contact?

I think the 30+ years of experience should weight in as well.

• Like 1

I have a 250 bore that was done by MT while EG was there. It has the mobetta porting option and somewhat tightened squish (but not very tight). It's the best 250 bore I've ever ridden. It's like it has the perfect amount of torque and power everywhere. Deff best for off road.

I'm just not sure that after the hassles I've had dealing with EG that I would go that route again. Maybe.

I wouldnt mess with etheir. Send your cylinder to hp bikes! Guy does more testing on yz's and in my opinion knows more then both tuners being talked about!

Well your opinions wrong! I guarantee both Tom and Eric have just as much experience and most likely more. I've used both in the past and both know what there doing. If had to choose I would go with Tom Morgan.

Eric made the big bore 295 main stream so I still go with Eric. Even if you send your jug to MT when it comes time to order replacement parts call Eric. No crazy $21.00 shipping and the parts are cheaper through him to. I have an 02 I sent to Eric while he was with MT it rips. I have a 2014 that the PO sent to Millenium after the split and it rips. The only difference I see in the Mo Betta is the Exhaust spigot isn't hogged out like Eric does. That resulted in a slight loss in top end but better throttle response.

Once the number of kits received from EG that were messed up in some way outnumbered the ones that just bolted on and were ready to go, I stopped using him.

Decking numbers being off, powervalves not being assembled correctly (or missing parts), or bores/ports being way too tight and causing seizures....would have been better off leaving the cylinder stock and just getting the head corrected.  

Hugely unprofessional to deal with too.  No accountability, no support.

There are lots of other great motor builders to use without the bullshit.  Take your pick.

• Like 1

Well your opinions wrong! I guarantee both Tom and Eric have just as much experience and most likely more. I've used both in the past and both know what there doing. If had to choose I would go with Tom Morgan.

. Ok well maybe you know more then I do and im flat out wrong but I do know my hp bikes 265 cylinder blows the doors off the 3 different e.g. 295 kits I have ridin... Hp bikes owner (forget his name) is constantly on the dyno trying to improve his setups. I dont hear about eric gorr or tom morgan doing much testing or dyno runs, they just are about production and making as many as possible. My 265 I had on my old yz was the fastest most useable power I have ever ridin! I have tried out just about every yz engine package there is at sometime or another. I seem to remember hearing factory yamaha was closely looking at hp bikes work back in the day as he was making more power out of local riders yz then they were outa chad reeds bike! Could be mistaken on that last comment tho...

. Ok well maybe you know more then I do and im flat out wrong but I do know my hp bikes 265 cylinder blows the doors off the 3 different e.g. 295 kits I have ridin... Hp bikes owner (forget his name) is constantly on the dyno trying to improve his setups. I dont hear about eric gorr or tom morgan doing much testing or dyno runs, they just are about production and making as many as possible. My 265 I had on my old yz was the fastest most useable power I have ever ridin! I have tried out just about every yz engine package there is at sometime or another. I seem to remember hearing factory yamaha was closely looking at hp bikes work back in the day as he was making more power out of local riders yz then they were outa chad reeds bike! Could be mistaken on that last comment tho...

I'm sure Derek Harris does great work, but he has his share of screw ups as well. One of the members on this forum paid him to build a yz295. When he got it back he just could not get it to run correctly. He ran it on the dyno many times, and every time there was a huge dip in the upper RPMs. IIRC, he found out that Derek shaved nearly 2mm off the base of the cylinder. I believe the piston was actually covering part of the exhaust port at BDC. I think it turned out that the HP bikes lighter power valve spring was also contributing to the dip.

Maybe "too much" will chime in and tell us more about how this all turned out. I think he just ended up selling the whole kit and starting over with a different engine builder.

This isn't to say that no one should ever use Harris performance in the future. I've heard of many people who have great experiences with him.

I've discussed my HP295 many times. I'm not impressed and I would not go to him again. I went with a local 2 stroke builder and we did a 285 using Max Power RPM's piston. I tried many pipes, reed cage systems, timing, oxygenated fuel on my 295 and we made 50hp and 30ft/lbs. We just dyno'd my 285 with the same combo I finished at with the 295 and it made 55hp and 34ft/lbs.I will post comparison dyno sheets soon. My buddy that owns the dyno is very busy and hasn't had time to get them together for me. The 285 absolutely kills the 295. With the US dollar being so strong I'd send your top end to Mott's Machining in Edmonton. He's the one that did my 285.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Eric made the big bore 295 main stream so I still go with Eric. Even if you send your jug to MT when it comes time to order replacement parts call Eric. No crazy $21.00 shipping and the parts are cheaper through him to. I have an 02 I sent to Eric while he was with MT it rips. I have a 2014 that the PO sent to Millenium after the split and it rips. The only difference I see in the Mo Betta is the Exhaust spigot isn't hogged out like Eric does. That resulted in a slight loss in top end but better throttle response.

After most of a season on the Tom Morgan 295 I have to change my stance. No matter what I do I cant get it to run in the ball park of the Gorr 295. I will be sending the cylinder to Gorr this winter for porting.

Sent mine to Gorr and was almost thinking I should've went with millenium/Morgan.

Got mine back and upon doing a leakdown test my power valve cover was leaking.. Took forever to find!! Along with that my exhaust port could have been cleaned up/ polished better. I was wondering what else I missed.

Didn't have much time before vacation so I slapped her together and took it out. Seems to run strong but honestly expected much more from a 295. Hopefully the lectron coming in the mail will wake it up.

Overall, no complaints as Gorr is very personable and easy to deal with.

Interesting to read about the issues too much had with HP. Derek did a 265 for my 05 RM a year or two ago and it was fantastic. There were some minor glitches and turn around time was a few weeks longer than quoted, but that was on the company doing the plating, not Derek. 

Despite a couple issues, what I liked was that Derek always answered his phone, would text me from morning till night, answered lots of questions etc and worked with me to get the small issues sorted, which weren't entirely his fault anyhow. Once the bike was back together and running it was awesome. It did just what I wanted, more bottom and mid, smoother power overall. Gave me that edge hanging with 450's out of deep sand berms and chugging up nasty climbs. 

I've also texted him over the last year or so randomly with various tuning, jetting and setup questions, as well as sending him CL links of a few bikes I was interested in and comparing and he always responded with thoughts and suggestions. 

I've got a YZ 250 cylinder and head out to him right now, was told it would ship back to me within a week which would be Wed/Thurs of this week, so we'll see.

I'm going to go read too much's thread as I'm curious now, but it's great that he found a local tuner who got it right for him. The more tuners we have doing good work, the better it is for riders. 

Edited by Kenpo1
  • Like 2

mitch payton

terry varner (ive had his race motor in my 05 rm250, holy shit!!!!)

tom morgan

gorr

all huge hitting names,  from what Ive seen hp bikes knows how to build them as well.

keep the reviews coming and the bickering to a minimum.

I have a spare used up head and cylinder for the yz250, im looking to build a 265 mid/top motor for racing.  leaning towards terry varner again.

anyone else with 265 mx builds?