hockey stick silencer help

I know there is a post about type of packing used etc but what I'm having a hard time finding is what everyone is using for the hockey stick silencer.The moose kit everyone recommends only comes in 16" lengths. Is there any better alternatives than having to order 2 packs or from the factory at over $90. Reason being is that in the " hockey stick silencer" one section is 15" long and the other is 5" long.

2016-04-28%2022.26.44.png

im about to do the same thing , i would just by two packs , i think there cheap enough

The moose ones here in canada are $30 each. Atleast you would only have to buy 1 next time as the second pack will do the shorter piece 3 times.

• Like 1

The moose ones here in canada are $30 each. Atleast you would only have to buy 1 next time as the second pack will do the shorter piece 3 times.

im in oz and im just going to buy 2 x fmf packing for about the dollars you said

You may want to open it up first and look at it. The pic you posted has some sort of end cap that I believe is on euro only bikes. I have the hockey stick on my 200 and the spark arrestor is in the short section towards the end of the pipe, so need for the second packing.

Yeah I already did and it was packed in their just like the pic. But it is weird because the Main stinger goes all the way thru but the short little bent piece has another screen that goes around but it's no spark arrestor.

20160429_164848.jpg

20160429_164833.jpg

Edited by fxr ryder

Any of the prepackaged repack kits, you will need two packs. Even on my straight (non hocky) oem EXC silencer, the Moose stuff wasn't enough, and that hocky stick is a few inches longer.

I would recommend just getting two packs of whatever's cheapest. I've probably used all off them, with no real difference noted. The Moose is the easiest to work with though. Don't forget gloves.

I'm thinking about using some leftover fiberglass insulation next time.

What is that secondary piece for on the exhaust pipe?

Edited by fxr ryder
  • Like 1

Why all the worry and expense?  Go buy some insulation at Home Depot.   A lifetime supply will cost you like $22.  Don't try it in a fourstoke, but household insulation works fine in smokers, and I've been using it since the 70s.  You just wrap a couple layers around the core (remove the paper backing of course), hold it in place with a few masking tape loops, and slide it in.  If you have a place to store a big roll of insulation, each silencer you do will cost you a tiny fraction of what buying the fiberglass material they sell as packing.  Or you can buy the $5 pink roll they sell for "home repair".

You definitely want to take a torch to that core in the picture before repacking.  Heat it until the carbon glows, and then it will easily brush off with a wire brush.  If you have a gun cleaning brush, run it up the inside.

Wow yeah much different from mine. Doesn't look like there is any kind of spark arrester on it. Mine doesn't have the stinger piece on the end either. Yes house insulation will work ( have used it in a pinch before) but most of the time I use the store bought stuff as it seems to last longer.

Yea the store bought stuff will last longer, but I find the household stuff lasts about the "right" amount of time in terms of keeping the core clean and carbon free.

I guess what also makes it easy for me is that I usually buy used bikes, and they always come with extra silencers. I just keep one packed and ready, and when the one on the bike starts to sound a little raggedy, I swap 'em out.

Edited by rpt50

Is that stuff loose packing or prewrapped

I used the sheet stuff not the loose packing , I reckon the loose stuff would be a nightmare to use

Fxr Ryder , is there any chance you could measure the internal diameter of the circlip on the tail pipe end

For Ryder , is there any chance you could measure the internal diameter of the circlip on the tail pipe end

Edited by kxrob

Fxr Ryder , is there any chance you could measure the internal diameter of the circlip on the tail pipe end

For Ryder , is there any chance you could measure the internal diameter of the circlip on the tail pipe end

It is 1.060" or just under 27mm. Edited by fxr ryder

It is 1.060" or just under 27mm.

How thick is it ?

I'm curious, why not just put an fmf turbine core 2 on the bike and not have to worry about this any more?

I'm curious, why not just put an fmf turbine core 2 on the bike and not have to worry about this any more?

hockey stick is quieter