NewJersey Sourthern NJ Enforcement

One of the reasons why I got rid of my dirt bikes and bought a street bike. I don't see much of a future for off roading in this state. It won't be long before a lot more other municipalities jump on board. Won't be surprised if I see a lot of dirt bikes and quads for sale soon.

Great use of police resources how about these punk ass cops go down to the ghettos and work on the heroin epidemic sweeping across our nation instead of scaring kids off their atvs into doing something worse(heroin)

Kids need more positive hobbies and places to do them dirtbiking/atv is a positive thing

• Like 2

Are legal bikes still safe for now? I ask cause was gonna replace my stolen aprilia w a drz or something plated but maybe I'll just sell or trade my stuff in an go street.

yep, lived in SJ for years, got out before they used helicopters and crap like that. Ridiculous...clear cut for McMansions though. You can thank the southern migration and all that entails.

I agree I think it's a joke they prosecute us but not a damnm thing was said when town officials were sucking dick w the contractors who let miles of land be cleared cut for mansions and 3o grand a year taxes.what a farce!

• Like 1

As a South Jersey born and bred dirt biker, I feel sorry for you guys still trying to ride there. NJ's answer to everything is to make it illegal and/or to complicated and expensive to succeed, and I feel your pain about the high taxes, I couldn't move back to South Jersey now even if I wanted to (but I don't).

On the other hand, I have absolutely no sympathy for outsiders coming in and riding on private land without permission.

I'll sign the petition, but not sure how much of an effect it will have. It seems every year something like this comes along. Legislators in Trenton swear they are going to open three riding parks in the state. Environmentalists oppose anywhere they plan to put the ORV park. The township committee where they plan to put the ORV park says "No way you're putting an ORV park in our town". Legislators say they are going to open three legal riding areas...............repeat. 

• Like 2

I'll sign the petition, but not sure how much of an effect it will have. It seems every year something like this comes along. Legislators in Trenton swear they are going to open three riding parks in the state. Environmentalists oppose anywhere they plan to put the ORV park. The township committee where they plan to put the ORV park says "No way you're putting an ORV park in our town". Legislators say they are going to open three legal riding areas...............repeat. 

I hear ya and I've seen this before and thought the same so never signed. I guess I'm a little more optimistic lately. 

I'll sign it but probably.get nothing but &%$#@!ing lip service from these dick suckers I mean politicians.

• Like 1

At this point I'm way too pessimistic. It seems the LEOs are taking enforcement as serious as a heart attack with zero tolerance. I'll still write letters, attend meetings, and sign petitions, but not expecting any change. It was fun while it lasted. I feel bad for all the shops with dirt bikes, quads, and SxS in their showrooms. Unless they sell them to out of state residents, nothing but expensive paper weights now. RIP dirt biking in NJ.

Edited by racermx66

Guys get a bike with a plate and street insurance and your motorcycle license.  This way you are legal.  Obviously this does not cover you for riding on private property, but it does cover you the other 99% of the times.

There are tons of choices, I have a Gas Gas 300 that is aggressive as any moto bike, but is street legal.  I can dip in and out of trails at will.  I pass by police all the time and just smile.

• Like 1

Buried in that Lacey Twp police announcement is just a classic: 

"Another recent incident involved an elderly property owner discharging a firearm in fear of a vehicle attempting to come toward his home from the wooded area."

Not that the rider had any right to be there, I'm sure (and I agree wholeheartedly with the OP), but how apropos that it was an "elderly" property owner who was so self-righteously outraged that he actually fired off his gun (presumably in the air).  "...in FEAR of a vehicle attempting to come toward his home..."  Eh, boy.  I'm sure said elderly property owner took the rider for a secret foreign agent, and hence his "fear."  I'm sure if he stood outside with a phone to his lips and acted like he was talking in it, the rider would have gotten the idea immediately. 

Every time I rely on the forbearance of my neighbors while I take a low-rpm ride through my neighborhood to warm up the oil for an oil change, it's always an "elderly property owner" who hassles me, if I happen to ride by someone who's outside, because, believe me, I'm being quiet. 

It's that same elderly righteous indignation that led to the killing of a young kid up in CT a few years ago when someone rigged a neck-level wire across a trail. 

Edited by Kitchener
  • Like 2

Sunday I was riding my street bike down Pasadena Road and I saw three NJ State Park Police SUVs popping out of the trails in different locations from Brenden Byrne State Forest. I've never seen one of them on that road let alone three. Two of them actually slowed down and gave me a look despite I was clearly on a street bike. Guess they aren't playing games anymore.

NJ=Police State, the NYC nonsense has bled down to CJ and SJ. I have good memories of riding there, Port E and such....100ft Hill. Good times, but long gone. Riding a dirt bike there is being an outlaw.

• Like 3

NJ=Police State, the NYC nonsense has bled down to CJ and SJ. I have good memories of riding there, Port E and such....100ft Hill. Good times, but long gone. Riding a dirt bike there is being an outlaw.

I try not to think about all the areas i used to ride my dirt bike where you didn't need it to be street legal and no one bothered you. It's really depressing. If they weren't turned into housing developments or shopping centers they're still there, but would get you a HUGE fine if you were caught riding there on a "gasp" dirt bike. Glad I got to enjoy it when I could because it's over and never coming back.

• Like 2

Sadly even tho I've grew up here and spent last 41 years here way politics taxes and dirtbikes concern me I've been seriously thinking of moving.I can't live in a place that doesn't respect or represent my hobbies etc.I hate it even more this is 4th time I've been robbed of bikes and the local police treated me like I was the criminal smh it's over for this state and maybe country soon.

• Like 1

I grew up riding at Port E, have many pics atop 100 ft hill....man do I miss riding there! I wonder what's there now? I've been tempted to stop by when I pass through on my way to the shore but never do. Your definitely an outlaw riding there, last I heard (many years ago) they were handing out $1,000 fines and impounding bikes.

• Like 2

I grew up riding at Port E, have many pics atop 100 ft hill....man do I miss riding there! I wonder what's there now? I've been tempted to stop by when I pass through on my way to the shore but never do. Your definitely an outlaw riding there, last I heard (many years ago) they were handing out $1,000 fines and impounding bikes.

Same here, that was a great area to ride, same as the smaller areas close by. I haven't been through there in some time, but last time it was eerily quiet. I have pix from that area too. Good times for sure. The rich Enduro heritage is long gone. Dirt bikers are the outlaw riders there.

• Like 1