Idaho What slowed YOU down?

I've never really been that fast to begin with AND I'm still a little green. I ride solo pretty regularly so that usually keeps me from pushing really hard. Racing enduros seems to balance out the need for going "fast" all the time. When I feel myself trying to push a race pace on a regular solo ride, I remind myself that I'm out in the middle of no where by myself and that I'd be screwed should I break a leg or something.

I just gave up dirtbiking and sold the bike a month ago after about 2 years of consideration.  I'm getting old and wasn't riding enough to keep the reflexes up for when I'd get out.  Reasoned that I could either stop now (with multiple injuries) or continue until I got an injury so serious I'd have to quit.  Of course, I then went out and got a new 1000 Ninja.  lol

I just gave up dirtbiking and sold the bike a month ago after about 2 years of consideration. I'm getting old and wasn't riding enough to keep the reflexes up for when I'd get out. Reasoned that I could either stop now (with multiple injuries) or continue until I got an injury so serious I'd have to quit. Of course, I then went out and got a new 1000 Ninja. lol

...but still lurking here. ;)

I wouldn't say I'm actually slower because of them, as my speed seems to be on the incline, but now with two kids riding is just so much less important. I still think about it a lot but the idea of giving up time with my girls and going off riding just isn't that appealing. I'm not getting out of riding by any means but I'm getting picky. Late starts and/or BS sessions on the trail are out.

• Like 2

Time........the lack of time to practice at expert pace..... The number on my personal odometer ticking away..  injuries/ general health take sooo much longer to get over.... recovery/fear issues not so much . I always tried to be a smart racer/ not a brave one.....

Time demands raising a 12 year old/ trying to keep him in KTM mini's in running condition.

Biggest contributor would have to be making the decision to promote/organize races. Screws up a perfectly good hobby. I never could do like Bob Leach when he ran Albany MX and would go out and race and win with the fast guys. It has always been hard to focus on riding when putting on a race. Never came to grips with that one.

• Like 1

Kid=No Time     Coaching the daughters soccer team from August to December then she races on snow skis from December to May which is every weekend. Last year I rode 3 times, which were all races. Golden Spike and Rimrock because they are close to the cabin, and the Hareport because it is close to the house. So far this year, I have ridden once, the Golden Spike. Hopefully I will get to a stage where I can practice/ride for these races I like to attend. To be honest though, I don't mind, you only get so much time before they grow up. I plan to ride til' I die. Besides, I'm only 48, I have forever right?

Edited by YoDaddy
  • Like 1

My slowing down story is much different.  I only started riding dirt bikes consistently about 4 years ago.  So I'm actually getting faster all the time as my skills increase.  But, I'm too old to push real hard, or do anything that I'm not comfortable with.

My slowing came from a couple skiing incidents.  I broke 5 teeth in my mouth when I hit my chin on my knee after I launched myself off cliff in the backcountry.  After that, I stopped flying on my skis.  A few years later, I watched my buddy get killed by an avalanche.  I now stick mostly to ski areas.

So, when I took up riding that was in the back of my head.  I also have a buddy of mine that has been riding his entire life, who takes unnecessary risks, who is laid up every few months because of it.  Add those to the fact I have three kids at home, I'm the slow guy at back of the group.  :ride::thumbsup:

Edited by Mudd94
  • Like 1