9,809 posts in this topic

Okay guys and gals. Here we go with a thread for those riding toward senility---or maybe already there! I have some concerns about "slowing down", but will get into that later. Not in the mood for it tonight.

Cj mentioned in the other thread about the bikes with much bigger engines than needed. I don't understand that either. Maybe it has to do with man's fascination with power. LOL--and if you put stickers all over your bike, it makes it even MORE powerful. Then put loud pipes on it and it becomes a REAL monster. Stupid thinking isn't it. Wait a minute--I just had a flashback. Okay, Let's change the subject. Who's next?

Edited by Weezer the Geezer
7 people like this

53 years old.

Im going to hang it up.

But let’s go to moab first.

Last year I hung it up.

I went to the black hills.

Think it’s a winter thing, like the flue.

6 people like this

45 years old

Ride winters in southern baja every year.

Makes me feel like Im 30 and often act like Im even less.

Passing younger riders on the track can do great things as well.

7 people like this

pdog, I considered hanging it up after our recent ride in Moab, but am re-considering what I was considering.  Must be an addiction.

o3, are you the same Dave who rode with us on Sunday out of Green River?  With the huge gas tank on his bike, which was truly a blessing! 

Thanks trailryder9 for the instant switch to this thread from the other one.  This old geezer had no idea how to do that.  Hope you can join us in Sept.

Edited by Weezer the Geezer
3 people like this

What age qualifies?

Yea, I was going to ask that. 

I feel older, but wiser working, but feel younger riding.

Overall, I can't wait until tomorrow cause it keeps getting better every day.

5 people like this

What age qualifies?   If you consider yourself a senior, you are in.  LOL-- And a sense of humor will likely be helpful!

o3dave, I just checked, and you aren't the same Dave that rode with us.  But there is another Dave older than you that also rides Baja in the winter.  His huge gas tank was a life saver when some of us ran out of gas 20 miles from town.  I will PM him and invite him to check out this thread.

4 people like this

At the gym at 1am est. Cardio and weights. It's getting harder to get the motivation for the gym. It's the ridding on the weekends that gets me here. It used to be women now It's ridding for motivational inspiration.

8 people like this

Yes, I consider myself "senior". Consider me a regular on this thread!  Someone mentioned after retiring, the plan was to ride more.  That has only partially worked out for me.  I certainly have the freedom and time BUT there are things in my (our) life I had been putting aside for a long time.  We're planning on moving in a year or 2 and the house needs some serious work.  For me, it's a time management puzzle - hence my user logo of a PUZZLE.

2 people like this

I qualify for the Senior class in racing, but as far as I'm concerned I have several more decades of riding ahead of me.  Several of the guys I ride with are solid 60+ racers and I plan on being just like them.

5 people like this

The biggest thing I've noticed about getting older is the lack of desire for an adrenaline rush.  I love riding, but if it involves huge doses of adrenaline count me out much of the time.  I'm in great shape physically, and enjoy playing hard, but man, that huge rush of adrenaline just doesn't do it for me anymore.  That's why I don't even rock crawl in the Jeep anymore, give me some high mountain passes with some challenging, but not scary/dangerous stuff and I'm happy. :ride:

9 people like this

The biggest thing I've noticed about getting older is the lack of desire for an adrenaline rush.  I love riding, but if it involves huge doses of adrenaline count me out much of the time.  I'm in great shape physically, and enjoy playing hard, but man, that huge rush of adrenaline just doesn't do it for me anymore.  That's why I don't even rock crawl in the Jeep anymore, give me some high mountain passes with some challenging, but not scary/dangerous stuff and I'm happy. :ride:

cj, I wish I was in as good of physical shape as you.  Cudo's to you for continuing that.  I wish I had that drive. I suppose that drive for adrenaline  has waned for me but going fast still feels SO good.  That I won't quit doing until I literally CANT any longer.

1 person likes this

I don't get much of an adrenaline rush from racing.  Hasn't happened in years actually.  Maybe it's because I race regularly and I know what to expect?  The big reason I race is because it's where I feel safest pushing my limits.  The courses are generally well marked and you don't have to worry about head on traffic or a dangerous obstacle popping up unmarked.  I get way more nervous when I'm trail riding at a public ride area and we start pushing the pace.  In my normal riding groups I'm definitely the fastest racer, but I never ride lead on trail rides.  

3 people like this

I don't get much of an adrenaline rush from racing.  Hasn't happened in years actually.  Maybe it's because I race regularly and I know what to expect?  The big reason I race is because it's where I feel safest pushing my limits.  The courses are generally well marked and you don't have to worry about head on traffic or a dangerous obstacle popping up unmarked.  I get way more nervous when I'm trail riding at a public ride area and we start pushing the pace.  In my normal riding groups I'm definitely the fastest racer, but I never ride lead on trail rides.  

The nice thing about where I ride is there is very little traffic, I usually don't see anyone.  So I can go fast and not worry too much.  Its stuff like the 6 inch wide ridge top trails with 1000 foot drops to each side that don't do it for me anymore.

5 people like this

It's true that even though I won a few races...I wasn't that fast.  I just knew my limits REAL WELL.  I actually would usually do some low speed get-off during practice but never crashed during a race. I never did like pain! And public trails still make me more nervous than anything else, especially considering a few close calls in the last couple of years.

2 people like this

The nice thing about where I ride is there is very little traffic, I usually don't see anyone.  So I can go fast and not worry too much.  Its stuff like the 6 inch wide ridge top trails with 1000 foot drops to each side that don't do it for me anymore.

There's some YouTube videos like that.  One was a couple of guys riding a narrow trail around the rim of a canyon. Fall - or even foot down -  on the downhill side and you're DEAD.  That stuff is NOT for me.  Things happen, even when its not your fault.  I said I didn't get this old by taking chances.

3 people like this

I seldom ride on streets anymore. Too many close calls. And cousin almost killed while stopped at a stop light. And dirt riding is so much more fun! Don't know how to explain my motivation. Have enjoyed riding since first bicycle ride as a kid.

6 people like this

I seldom ride on streets anymore. Too many close calls. And cousin almost killed while stopped at a stop light. And dirt riding is so much more fun! Don't know how to explain my motivation. Have enjoyed riding since first bicycle ride as a kid.

You know those kids on Schwinn Stingrays at the beginning of "On Any Sunday"?  That was me back in the mid to late 60s.  And it has stuck ever since.

4 people like this

I'm just a young pup, next Sunday I'll be 62, I ride for the pure enjoyment of being out in the woods, I have a few friends in their early fifties that ride with me.

15 people like this

I'm just a young pup, next Sunday I'll be 62, I ride for the pure enjoyment of being out in the woods, I have a few friends in their early fifties that ride with me.

Do you have many places you can ride over there?  I thought the NE was pretty much shut down for public land riding.