YZ450 in the woods? You bet !

Posted Today, 06:20 PM

I have scoured the internet looking for as much info as possible to get my YZ450 EFI to handle properly. I am finally close. I will list every modification starting with the most important first, ending with the least important

1)  Rekluse clutch... best mod, I can lock it up sliding into a corner without my hand on the clutch, no engine stalling. I can climb up anything anybody else can, without my hand on the clutch, as slow as I want. This mod alone eliminates the need for larger sprocket and electric engine start, (if there was such a mod)

2)  Remapped for woods riding, lots of low end, very important

3)  Get your suspension set up right, really really makes a huge difference.

4)  Flywheel weight, noticeable with the remapping

5)  Steering stabilizer... I once had the pin fall out and thought I had a flat tire. Really helps with the arm pump, you don't have to grip as hard

6)  Keep sharp tires on, I use michelin S12 XC. The front tire knobs are turned 45 degrees on the extreme edge so they don't fold over and break like so many others. The rear are as good as any other I suppose, its seems the knobs stay square longer and I can climb sloppy clay when they are new  

6)  Engine relocation bushings... just put them on and they are coming right back off. Maybe I need to redo my suspension after this mod, I don't know but I went down three times yesterday, once hard over the bars, I don't like them.

I'm older so its important for me to have the best I can so I can keep up with my sons. They are both faster than me but not by much. I dread the day that they won't want to ride with me cause I'll be too slow.

I've seen a lot of posts saying, "get rid of your motocrosser and get a woods bike". Well, I like my bike better than a WR. Its lighter, has more power and the only spendy modification is the rekluse clutch. I think I have less than a $1000 to make it a real woods bike, Its around $10,000 for a new KTM

The two things I will always have on any bike in the future will be the rekluse clutch and the scotts steering stabilizer

My 450 does mighty fine in the woods I gotta say.  Put it through its paces today up in the Sierras.  Set up almost identical, except no FWW.  My suspension is on the very stiff side for woods riding, but comes alive when I start pushing it.

I am loving the Shinko 520 rear tire more and more every time I ride it.  The worse the conditions, the better it does.

Don't mess with the engine location.  Just get drop pegs.  It allows the bike to be manipulated much, much easier around slow speed turns while standing.

I ride a 07 yz450 in the woods specifically. So far ive put an IMS oversized tank, smaller front sprocket, GYTR heavy flywheel, .40kg front springs, bark busters with hand guards and some other little things. Its great in the woods and I smoke everyone I ride with when we get to a straight plus its just nice to have the extra grunt. Its awesome that its the 250 frame with a 450 stuffed into it because the bike isnt huge. I'm 5'10" about 140lbs and I ride the bike, the bike doesnt ride me. 

My 450 does mighty fine in the woods I gotta say.  Put it through its paces today up in the Sierras.  Set up almost identical, except no FWW.  My suspension is on the very stiff side for woods riding, but comes alive when I start pushing it.

I am loving the Shinko 520 rear tire more and more every time I ride it.  The worse the conditions, the better it does.

Don't mess with the engine location.  Just get drop pegs.  It allows the bike to be manipulated much, much easier around slow speed turns while standing.

Drop pegs?  ... tell me more.

FastWay. Drops the pegs 3/4" or so. Bikes handling comes alive with that.

Also get an 18" rear and tubeless.

Tried to buy just the collars for dropping the pegs, $135.00 for the whole peg kit. Not sure if I want to spend that unless it is a for sure thing. How important are they to you?

I forgot to list my 18" tire swap too, you're right, was worth the money, was able to use a taller tire at low pressure, helps to hook it up. Haven't tried the tubeless tire yet.

I ride a 07 yz450 in the woods specifically. So far ive put an IMS oversized tank, smaller front sprocket, GYTR heavy flywheel, .40kg front springs, bark busters with hand guards and some other little things. Its great in the woods and I smoke everyone I ride with when we get to a straight plus its just nice to have the extra grunt. Its awesome that its the 250 frame with a 450 stuffed into it because the bike isnt huge. I'm 5'10" about 140lbs and I ride the bike, the bike doesnt ride me. 

Front springs? lighter front springs?

Posted Today, 06:20 PM

I have scoured the internet looking for as much info as possible to get my YZ450 EFI to handle properly. I am finally close. I will list every modification starting with the most important first, ending with the least important

1)  Rekluse clutch... best mod, I can lock it up sliding into a corner without my hand on the clutch, no engine stalling. I can climb up anything anybody else can, without my hand on the clutch, as slow as I want. This mod alone eliminates the need for larger sprocket and electric engine start, (if there was such a mod)

2)  Remapped for woods riding, lots of low end, very important

3)  Get your suspension set up right, really really makes a huge difference.

4)  Flywheel weight, noticeable with the remapping

5)  Steering stabilizer... I once had the pin fall out and thought I had a flat tire. Really helps with the arm pump, you don't have to grip as hard

6)  Keep sharp tires on, I use michelin S12 XC. The front tire knobs are turned 45 degrees on the extreme edge so they don't fold over and break like so many others. The rear are as good as any other I suppose, its seems the knobs stay square longer and I can climb sloppy clay when they are new  

6)  Engine relocation bushings... just put them on and they are coming right back off. Maybe I need to redo my suspension after this mod, I don't know but I went down three times yesterday, once hard over the bars, I don't like them.

I'm older so its important for me to have the best I can so I can keep up with my sons. They are both faster than me but not by much. I dread the day that they won't want to ride with me cause I'll be too slow.

I've seen a lot of posts saying, "get rid of your motocrosser and get a woods bike". Well, I like my bike better than a WR. Its lighter, has more power and the only spendy modification is the rekluse clutch. I think I have less than a $1000 to make it a real woods bike, Its around $10,000 for a new KTM

The two things I will always have on any bike in the future will be the rekluse clutch and the scotts steering stabilizer

What year is your bike?  If you don't mind sharing the map, that would be much appreciated.  Still working on one for mine.

My 06 YZ 450 was good in the woods but it was never great.  I always wanted just a little bit more range in the gears and better suspension for the trail (even after 2 revalves)... 450FX solved both of those issues for me.  This is the bike I've wanted Yamaha to build for YEARS now.

• Like 1

I love my 14 YZ450 but the more I ride around in the woods the more I wonder if I would have been better off with a classic woods bike. For some reason the KTM 300 XC-W six days has been talking to me in my sleep.

My 06 YZ 450 was good in the woods but it was never great.  I always wanted just a little bit more range in the gears and better suspension for the trail (even after 2 revalves)... 450FX solved both of those issues for me.  This is the bike I've wanted Yamaha to build for YEARS now.

I gotta ride one, thats the problem, no test rides and I hate gambling

Both keeseckb and cowboyona426 have great reviews for the YZ450FX. Anyone else have a comparo between the YZ450 and the YZ450FX? By the way, if anyone lives close I have a GYTR tuner for the EFI 450's. You can use it for free if you go for a ride with us.... just a thought.