CRF450R FULL REBUILD KIT HELP!

hi all recently discoverd that my 2005 crf450r needs a full rebuild , crank piston vales the lot ,, was looking at wiseco kits but then reading in to furthur infomation on them they seem to be s**t so my question is ..

what kit have you used ?

anyone be able to supply me a kit on here from the uk ?

needing as much help as i can here as im tottaly struggling :(

motosport outlet carries a "wrench rabbit" rebuild kit that has everything including seals, gaskets, crank, piston etc and basically everything to rebuild the engine and transmission something like 700 US dollars.

but OEM is the best way to go for reliability you just have to track down all the parts and then order the ones you forgot

Edited by jblob

Ive used the wrench rabbit kits on a couple 250s now, no issues in them yet. They are all Hot Rods parts, you can pick them up way cheaper than 700 though. Find the part no for the oit for your year and check every vendor you can. My last one was just under 500 for everything.

DO NOT USE HOT ROD/WEISCO/OR WRENCH RABBIT KITS!!! They are complete crap and you will just be rebuilding you're bike all over again in 15 hours...just track down all the parts you will need from OEM and order them! You could probably ask a local mechanics shop to order all the parts needed for your rebuild and they will all buy OEM stuff.

• Like 2

DO NOT USE HOT ROD/WEISCO/OR WRENCH RABBIT KITS!!! They are complete crap and you will just be rebuilding you're bike all over again in 15 hours...just track down all the parts you will need from OEM and order them! You could probably ask a local mechanics shop to order all the parts needed for your rebuild and they will all buy OEM stuff.

I agree they are crap, but 15 hours???? C'mon even I won't go as far to say they are that bad LOL.

Crank I would never buy anything other than OEM.  Piston you have a lot of good options.  JE, Vertex, and CP are all great pistons along with OEM (I'm not a fan of Wiseco in Motorcycles).  

Gaskets and seals NEVER use anything but OEM for durability.

I would use

hot rods bottom end,

13.5 piston (wiseco, prox, vertex, wossner, je)

bigborethumpers.com ss head

I've heard bad things about hot rods bottom end and I have exsperiece with hot rods bottom end they are no good! The pistons are different you can pretty much slap any piston in and it will run good but the specs the factory allows at hot rod are so not expectable!

I've heard bad things about hot rods bottom end and I have exsperiece with hot rods bottom end they are no good! The pistons are different you can pretty much slap any piston in and it will run good but the specs the factory allows at hot rod are so not expectable!

not sure what to think of that, i have used close to a dozen hot rods bottom end kits with no problems.

Their cranks are made in taiwan, Alot of videos on youtube that show them failing with under a hour of run time. Their connecting rods are made in the US.

I have 126.4 hours on my Hot Rods crank, no issues. I do plan on changing it at 150 hours, this is in a 250, so it gets turned a little harder than a 450.

Hot Rods connecting rods are manufactured in the USA and heat treated at an aerospace certified heat treat facility. Materials and heat treat are certified by sectioned and micro hardness testing. The crank webs are made in Taiwan at one of the most well known OEM crank suppliers in the world. Hot Rods outsells the OEM aftermarket 2 to 1. You are very unlikely to have any issue with their cranks.

Hot Rods outsells the OEM aftermarket 2 to 1. You are very unlikely to have any issue with their cranks.

This is because they are the least expensive (cheap) and most people don't know any better.  You can buy them cheap on ebay all day long compared to getting OEM from a supplier.  Guys buy them and put them in the bike for a cheap fix then sell the bike in a lot of cases too.

I'm not really saying Hot Rod cranks are shit (although I'm thinking that lol), you probably will get 100-150 hours out of one.  But what is the true cost to the rest of the motor and that is not even considering most people that are buying hot rod cranks are probably getting 250-300 hours out of the OEM crank before the failure occurs.  So that really means they are buying 2 hot rod cranks to every 1 OEM crank.  So where's the savings???

Another thing to keep in mind is Hot Rods are making cranks for how many different bikes???  Tens of thousands.....Honda cranks are made for Hondas only and to run with other Honda designed parts.  Honda knows their tolerances because they designed the bike.

$50-100 savings on a part as important as a crank will never pursued me to buy Hot Rods over OEM.  In reality the true cost per running hour on a OEM is way less than a Hot Rods.

Say $200 for HR crank that last 150 hours (wishful thinking) is $1.33/hr

OEM crank $300 that last 250 hours is $1.20/hr 

These are numbers for a average rider (most of the people buying HR cranks).

• Like 1

I have 126.4 hours on my Hot Rods crank, no issues. I do plan on changing it at 150 hours, this is in a 250, so it gets turned a little harder than a 450.

considering most people that are buying hot rod cranks are probably getting 250-300 hours out of the OEM crank before the failure occurs.  So that really means they are buying 2 hot rod cranks to every 1 OEM crank.  So where's the savings???

Another thing to keep in mind is Hot Rods are making cranks for how many different bikes???  Tens of thousands.....Honda cranks are made for Hondas only and to run with other Honda designed parts.  Honda knows their tolerances because they designed the bike.

agreed, and 418stroker and guys like him (no offense) are proof.  changing a crank at 150 hours because youre scared?!?  how did buying the hotcam crank in the first place benefit you if youre changing it after 150 hours??  hell, I get 150 hours out of my piston and head, not to mention the crank.

im sure you guys have heard a million times before, but ive got 380 engine hours out of my OEM crank. verified by hour meter. and im hard on my bike.  lots of open double track = hard, short WOT runs. highmark hill climbs where I abuse the bike HARD, and lots of gravel road runs behind my house.  some all day long, 4-5th gear for 10+ minutes at a time.  the OEM crank was still in spec, and only reason im not still running it is because I ruined the oil passage.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone thanks for the replys i ended up going for the hot rods conrod vertex piston and the blackdiamond valves all built up and running but the transmission is giving me a spot of bother at the moment :(

I just amazed when I hear someones replacing a crank? Change the oil!

I change the oil every 10 to 15 hours mate It was due it must have had 200+ hours on it

You guys that are dissing the Wiseco and Hotrods stuff aren't correct.

I'd be willing to bet Ive done a hell of a lot more engines for customers than you have and I use that stuff all the time. I did a 511cc stroker with a HotRods crank, main bearing  and all that, that thing has been together for 3-4 years now, and the owner just throws it against the back of the garage when he's done with it. I bet he's never even changed the oil. It gets routinely drag raced in the dunes and there isn't anything that's harder on a crank than that.

The parts are rarely the problem. The techs installing them...that's a completely different story.

Hi everyone thanks for the replys i ended up going for the hot rods conrod vertex piston and the blackdiamond valves all built up and running but the transmission is giving me a spot of bother at the moment :(

I change the oil every 10 to 15 hours mate It was due it must have had 200+ hours on it

I have an 04 with a few thousands hours on it as well!!!!!!!!!!!!