Special nut removal?

Hi guys, I'm in the middle of doing my first full rebuild on my 06 crf450r and I had gotten to almost being able to split the cases wit just a few more gears to remove, one of which having this nut holding it on? I tried a screwdriver and a mallot to try to tap it open but that isn't working, is there another way without having to buy a special socket? IMG_5010.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by rutz

Damn money isn't the problem, I was just trying to get this done as soon as possible and didn't want it sitting apart for any longer than I needed to.

I would never pound on that nut with a screwdriver and a hammer, Once you get it off how are you suppose to torque it back down to the proper torque specs? Not to mention there are seals and bearings behind that, That could be damaged from the lateral force applied to it from pounding on it, Or worse you could hit it hard enough and slip off and drive the screwdriver through the engine case. I understand your frustration but you should have foreseen this before you began your tear down! 

Edited by PelvicThruster

Damn money isn't the problem, I was just trying to get this done as soon as possible and didn't want it sitting apart for any longer than I needed to.

Nows a good time to clean everything you have off so far and inventory it, I clean everything and put it inside big plastic bags to keep dirt and dust off of it until i'm ready for installation!

Edited by PelvicThruster

Yes that is all very true, I never put too much hammering to the nut as I did fear harming something, but that was what was just suggested to me by someone else. This is also my first Honda 4 stroke rebuild it rebuild in general so this was something I was not expecting and overlooked, I ordered the socket this morning and it will hopefully be here by the end of the week. Thanks

Not to mention there are seals and bearings behind that, That could be damaged from the lateral force applied to it from pounding on it, Or worse you could hit it hard enough and slip off and drive the screwdriver through the engine case. I understand your frustration but you should have foreseen this before you began your tear down! 

lol really???  this isnt rocket science here you guys.

lol really???  this isnt rocket science here you guys.

If that's the case then why didn't you remove the flywheel correctly the first time? You should know first hand about using the right tool for the job bro!

Edited by PelvicThruster