Got 3 y/o Son Oset 12.5R

Today was a great day. We drove down to Bent Lever in Vancouver, WA and picked up an Oset 12.5R. He only got to ride it around the small back yard and driveway for about ten mins before it was too dark.

I initially turned the speed control and throttle response all the way down and held him up as he operated the throttle and got use to putting his feet down when stopping and up when going. Once he had that I turned the speed up until he could balance it on his own. After about 7 mins he was going up and down the driveway with me just running next to him not touching the bike at all.

Tomorrow I'll take him to the big grassy Park and let him get some good practice in. I can't wait until he can do it all on his own and we can ride together.

I have my new bike on order and it should be here mid-end July, 2017 KTM 350 xcf-w and it's getting the street conversion and will be plated for the street. Super excited about it.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1463632517.808826.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1463632532.988959.jpg

• Like 9

I have a 3 year old and want to get him the same bike... not sure if he is ready. He has been on a Strider bike since he was 1. and he is attached to it... if I put him on a peddle bike he jumps off and grabs his Strider and takes off.

I don't want to jump into a bike he wont ride. thoughts?

Congrats and I know the feeling... cant wait to go riding with my boy and girl

My boy has been on a strider about the same. He loves motorcycles but is a bit hesitant about his Oset. I've got him to ride it a few times. Yesterday he crashed and didn't want to ride anymore, so I didn't make him. I think the key is to give them the opportunity and embrace it when they want to but don't make them, then over time they will be enjoy it. Right now it's just new

• Like 2

My boy has been on a strider about the same. He loves motorcycles but is a bit hesitant about his Oset. I've got him to ride it a few times. Yesterday he crashed and didn't want to ride anymore, so I didn't make him. I think the key is to give them the opportunity and embrace it when they want to but don't make them, then over time they will be enjoy it. Right now it's just new

Yup.  They have to want to! pushing them will push them away.

he took off on his Strider and had his ups and downs and wouldn't ride it for a while... but wont touch a peddle bike because he is to "into" the Strider... like I said above.  

he also rides his PowerWheels Kawi Quad and loves that but rare he gets it out over his Strider.

How much you paying out the door for a Oset 12.5R?

We'll have to meet up on a trail in a few months. It's been a long while, I'm sure I'm back to the basics after such a long break of dirt riding.

I took about 30 yrs off. It came back really quick.

The bike you are getting is awesome!

Been off this forum for a few years or so, but checked in and stumbled on a thread I might be able to add to!

Got my son an OSET 12.5 (this was back before there was an "R," which is an upgrade that's totally worth it) when he was three years old.  He also was a maniac on the Strider bike but hadn't pedaled before (too small).  So I just zip-tied the foot pegs up on the OSET, turned the speed controller way down, and let him treat it as a motorized balance bike for a while.  First time he actually picked his feet up and rode it for real was on a snowy day, funny enough!

The sad thing about the 12.5 is that they outgrow it right about the same time they're finally getting good at riding it.  I ended up making a tall enduro-style seat by laying up carbon fiber for the seat pan, building up foam, and wrapping it in vinyl seat material.  Since all the bolt-on components are from bicycles, it was cheap and easy to source a taller handlebar clamp to create more space with the taller seat.  It all worked pretty well until my garage burned down with the bike in it.

So I picked up up a 16R for his fourth birthday, and he's been loving it.  I thought it might be too big at first, but it's been just fine, and he won't grow out of it so quickly.

One recommendation I'd make with these bikes would be to ditch the SLA batteries for LiFePO4.  EarthX Motorsport makes a battery that will drop in quite nicely and shave something like six pounds each, but that's not the main reason for getting them.  The main reason is that they last a hell of a lot longer (the stock SLAs didn't even last a whole year before they were only good for about 15 minutes), and they give you pretty much full power right until they're out of juice, whereas the SLA batteries start fading the second your kid starts riding.  So longer life, longer lifespan, consistent power delivery, a hell of a lot lighter.  I went with EarthX because they come with a built-in battery management system to prevent overcharging or overuse.  I store and charge the bike in the office in our house, so "no fires" was kind of a high priority.

Anyway, have fun riding with your kid!

Been off this forum for a few years or so, but checked in and stumbled on a thread I might be able to add to!

Got my son an OSET 12.5 (this was back before there was an "R," which is an upgrade that's totally worth it) when he was three years old.  He also was a maniac on the Strider bike but hadn't pedaled before (too small).  So I just zip-tied the foot pegs up on the OSET, turned the speed controller way down, and let him treat it as a motorized balance bike for a while.  First time he actually picked his feet up and rode it for real was on a snowy day, funny enough!

The sad thing about the 12.5 is that they outgrow it right about the same time they're finally getting good at riding it.  I ended up making a tall enduro-style seat by laying up carbon fiber for the seat pan, building up foam, and wrapping it in vinyl seat material.  Since all the bolt-on components are from bicycles, it was cheap and easy to source a taller handlebar clamp to create more space with the taller seat.  It all worked pretty well until my garage burned down with the bike in it.

So I picked up up a 16R for his fourth birthday, and he's been loving it.  I thought it might be too big at first, but it's been just fine, and he won't grow out of it so quickly.

One recommendation I'd make with these bikes would be to ditch the SLA batteries for LiFePO4.  EarthX Motorsport makes a battery that will drop in quite nicely and shave something like six pounds each, but that's not the main reason for getting them.  The main reason is that they last a hell of a lot longer (the stock SLAs didn't even last a whole year before they were only good for about 15 minutes), and they give you pretty much full power right until they're out of juice, whereas the SLA batteries start fading the second your kid starts riding.  So longer life, longer lifespan, consistent power delivery, a hell of a lot lighter.  I went with EarthX because they come with a built-in battery management system to prevent overcharging or overuse.  I store and charge the bike in the office in our house, so "no fires" was kind of a high priority.

Anyway, have fun riding with your kid!

Thanks for the info on the batteries. Any weight savings is a plus but add to that the other advantages you mentioned and it definitely seems worth it. I can't wait to hit the trails with them.