Anyone Running AvGas vs Race Fuel?

Don't run it, reason manual says DO NOT use leaded fuel. Higher octane will just create more heat in the engine and many other problems. Been covered a million times, run what the manual says. Want cleaner fuel? Get a fuel filter.

if it a 2 stroke your not supposed to use fuel filters. I dont think you understand that av gas is a better overall quality fuel. And some people need the higher octane

Don't run it, reason manual says DO NOT use leaded fuel. Higher octane will just create more heat in the engine and many other problems. Been covered a million times, run what the manual says. Want cleaner fuel? Get a fuel filter.

lol

• Like 1

If your engines are stock, all you're doing by running avgas or race gas is wasting money.

There is zero good reasons to run that fuel in a stock motor.  Won't do anything but make your wallet lighter.

"Octane rating" isn't a measure of a fuel's "grade"; higher isn't better. 

If you've done work to the engine and need the performance of a higher octane fuel, run the right fuel for the motor.  In a high-revving engine like a motorcycle or snowmobile, that's typically race gas. 

Avgas burns slower with a slower flame front for lower-RPM engines. 

"Octane boosters" are a gimmick in my opinion.  Tune your fuel system properly.  I know they work, but chemically and cost-efficiency, they're not for long-term regular use. 

Putting race gas into a stock moto won't magically turn it into a race bike, or make you any faster on the track.?

• Like 2

If your engines are stock, all you're doing by running avgas or race gas is wasting money.

There is zero good reasons to run that fuel in a stock motor.  Won't do anything but make your wallet lighter.

If you've done work to the engine and need the performance of a higher octane fuel, run the right fuel for the motor.  In a high-revving engine like a motorcycle or snowmobile, that's typically race gas. 

"Octane boosters" are a gimmick in my opinion.  Tune your fuel system properly.  I know they work, but chemically and cost-efficiency, they're not for long-term regular use. 

Putting race gas into a stock moto won't magically turn it into a race bike, or make you any faster on the track.?

You missed the whole point of this thread, we aren't trying to gain any power. 

Higher octane does not create more heat. Octane is just a fuel's resistance to detonation.

Higher octane does not create more heat. Octane is just a fuel's resistance to detonation.

Trust me it does.

My yz 125 was detonating so I mix the av gas 50/50 with 91 pump and it works great. Dont listen to the people saying dont run it

Then you have another underlying issue.

Not trying to be a troll, but there is a reason the manual specifies which fuel to run.

I agree.

Trust me it does.

Then you have another underlying issue.

Not trying to be a troll, but there is a reason the manual specifies which fuel to run.

I agree.

No the head has been modified theres no issues. Also im pretty sure im the manual it specify something like 95 or 96 octane and pump gas is 91 Edited by noaht4

No the head has been modified theres no issues. Also im pretty sure im the manual it specify something like 95 or 96 octane and pump gas is 91

It'll say 95 or minimal octane before it starts knocking. And in your case then it is suitable for you because you have a modefied engine, so I take back the issue part.

And you mix it 50/50

Would it be safe to run avgas is a stock 4stroke motor? Just curious. I have a 2016 yz250f

If it's efi I would say no.  The reason being because the lead will clog up the sensors and they'll have to be cleaned out and/or could possibly fail.

• Like 2

Just to update what Ive learned through research.

100LL is 100 octane by aviation lean test...which coincidentally also uses the same MON test as pump gas. ASTM D2700.

There is no RON test performed, but it is always higher than MON. General consensus is the RON is typically 10-12 points higher...but lets be conservative and say 8. 108.

That puts 100LL at a conservative 104 by pump gas testing methods. R+M/2.

Conclusion: 100LL should technically never be below 100 octane (mon, ron or r+m/2)

Good luck finding the compression ratio to match 100 octane. It appears theres not much agreement about it. Even reliable sources say anywhere from 9 to 15:1, motor dependent.