DR650 High miles?

I am looking to possibly purchase a 2007 DR650 with 27,000 miles on it.  Is this a lot of miles or anything to be concerned with? They are asking $2950. Decent price? Also, Considering the DRZ400....which is really better?  I want to do some off road, but don't wan to struggle at highway speeds in traffic if I commute with it.  No real  long trips foreseen...just local one day trips. Probably not real advanced terrain either...I know it isn't a MX bike.

Thanks,

Dave

I've got 25,000 miles on mine and it runs great.  The price for DR's are all over the map too, so it's hard to say if $2,950 is good ~ but it is a tad high.  Check NADA for your area and then make a call.

The DRZ is a "technically superior" bike (liquid cooling and better suspension components).  I had one but didn't like how it performed above 60mph on the road, my DR650 is fine up to 80mph.  I decided that the higher speed stability was more important than being better on the trail (the DRZ is better on the trail).  The high seat height of the DRZ was also a problem for me, my factory low suspension setting is perfect for my 5'7" frame.

Doesn't sound like much of a discount for what is really high miles.  Seems there are always DR650s around my area with less than 4000 miles on them, guys got them with big adventure ideas that did not pan out.  I'd say wait for a better one.

As for the miles and engine life, the DR650 has a good time span going from "kind of worn out", to "really worn out", to "blowing up".  Meaning, sure, a DR650 with 27,000 miles on it might start, idle, and seem to run well, but if any decent mechanic pulled it apart, lots of parts in the engine would be passed the wear limits.  Or you could just keep riding it and riding it, go into the "really worn out" zone, and finally into the "blowing up" zone, and that might be another 3,000 miles or another 10,000 miles.

Like one other poster pointed out, for a few hundred more you can get a lightly used one.  

Since the high mileage question came up, is this the same on a dr350? I have about 9k on mine and I worry that's high. Sounds like that's probably not the case.

Since the high mileage question came up, is this the same on a dr350? I have about 9k on mine and I worry that's high. Sounds like that's probably not the case.

9k is not high for street use. You need to ride it more :)