Help - Engine Whine

Looking for some feedback from the team. I picked up a 2009 230f for my son and it is pretty solid however there is a whine (sounds like gear lash/blower motor) only when the engine is under load. It does not appear to be affecting performance, it runs great and pulls hard, just really noisy. I have read that some whine is normal but I also have a 2009 230f and mine does not have the noise.

• In neutral there is no whine at all.
  • Noise does not change with different gears or engine temp.
  • Noise is dependent on motor RPM.
  • You can hold the front brake and let the clutch out slightly to get the noise prior to wheel spin so it really feels like clutch but I changed the discs and plates and springs = no change in noise.
  • I also just tried, as recommended here, swapping the judder spring/small friction for standard friction = no change in noise.

Any thoughts for something else I can look into? Our Utah/Colorado trip is coming up next month and really want to get it figured out.

thanks

z

Using a long screwdriver, or stethescope, see if you can isolate the noise. Whether it comes from  the cylinder, transmission on left side or clutch side.  

Edited by 1gr8bldr

My 2009 engine was pretty loud when new but it has been getting quieter over the years.  The noise in mine comes from the bottom end and sounds like tranny gear noise.  Many years of well-maintained abuse and zero issues.

The 2004 we have is quiet like a sewing machine.

Straight cut primary gears.

Some are more noisy than others.

Try some premium synthetic motorcycle specific engine oil like Motul or Lucas 10w-40. It will get more quiet but it's commonly pretty normal.

Thanks for the responses, I have a mechanics stethoscope so I will try that later today. I have seen other posts on the interwebs about it being the straight cut gears but we get the noise with the clutch semi-engaged without any wheel movement, which would mean no transmission movement right?

I have HP4 10-40 in there now, I will try a full synthetic.

The gears from crank to clutch outer are straight cut.  They are always moving when the engine is running.  You could try to get your stethoscope near there to have a listen.

After confirming the noise is for sure coming from the clutch area I decided to do some part swapping to see if I could get the noise to move since my other 09 is "sewing machine" quiet. 

Swapped everything first just to see if i was on the right track (oil filter rotor, primary drive, entire clutch pack and cage, reassembled the noisy bike and it was all of a sudden "sewing machine" quiet.

So then I started moving one part at a time back to my bike, found it on the third reassemble, it was the clutch cage, once I swapped that part back in the noise returned completely so getting a new one on the way, plus a couple of lock nuts for the clutch since I pretty well toasted those taking them on and off a half dozen times.

I will post again with an update in case anyone else is having this issue.

Again, thanks for the quick responses.

z

• Like 6

After confirming the noise is for sure coming from the clutch area I decided to do some part swapping to see if I could get the noise to move since my other 09 is "sewing machine" quiet. 

Swapped everything first just to see if i was on the right track (oil filter rotor, primary drive, entire clutch pack and cage, reassembled the noisy bike and it was all of a sudden "sewing machine" quiet.

So then I started moving one part at a time back to my bike, found it on the third reassemble, it was the clutch cage, once I swapped that part back in the noise returned completely so getting a new one on the way, plus a couple of lock nuts for the clutch since I pretty well toasted those taking them on and off a half dozen times.

I will post again with an update in case anyone else is having this issue.

Again, thanks for the quick responses.

z

Try to determine what is wrong with the clutch cage, why it is noisy. Curious, I guess.  

Someone here mentioned that the older bikes seemed to have better build quality.  Maybe the quality of the machining operations on the gears has declined.  The suface finish ( roughness - Ra ) could be poorer.  Older / worn tooling, running cutters longer between changes, etc?

Someone here mentioned that the older bikes seemed to have better build quality.  Maybe the quality of the machining operations on the gears has declined.  The suface finish ( roughness - Ra ) could be poorer.  Older / worn tooling, running cutters longer between changes, etc?

Big difference between engine fit and finish when comparing the 2004 to the 2009.  For example, the cooling fins on the 2004 are thicker, better finished, and way more consistent than those on the 2009.  I have not measured them but the fins on the 2009 are quite a bit thinner and rougher.

The head pipe welds in the two 2004s were small and smooth while the one in my 2009 was huge and rough and looked like bubble gum.  My 2009 has a little bit of rust coming from some of the frame gussets where the 2004 does not.

• Like 1

Big difference between engine fit and finish when comparing the 2004 to the 2009. For example, the cooling fins on the 2004 are thicker, better finished, and way more consistent than those on the 2009. I have not measured them but the fins on the 2009 are quite a bit thinner and rougher.

The head pipe welds in the two 2004s were small and smooth while the one in my 2009 was huge and rough and looked like bubble gum. My 2009 has a little bit of rust coming from some of the frame gussets where the 2004 does not.

Lucky for me, ALL my stuff is 2004-2005, no issues

You migh have a condition where the tolerances on the gears have added up to be not in your favor for that particular set of parts.

You could measure, or just swap until you get two good sets that mesh well.

Ok part was on backorder but came in yesterday, popped it in and noise is gone. No more "blower motor"/"rock crusher"/"Blackhawks fan" whining. I took some before, during and after gopro footage, I will post it on YouTube and put the link on here if any is curious about it, hopefully it helps someone out in the future. 7 days till UT/CO dirtbiking :)

• Like 1