Primary gear pin doesn't fit in HotRods crank?

Building my +4 stroker. Flywheel went on fine. Go to put the primary gear on, notice the locating pin does not fit in the crank like it should. Drops right into the Counterbalancer and the stock crank, put for some reason will not fit into the HotRods crank. Tried calling them but they're closed for the day. Anyone run into this before?

Stock crank:

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1464392818.601322.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1464392851.132076.jpg

HotRods +4mm stroker:

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1464392898.491829.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1464393003.943001.jpg

If I have to pull these cases apart again because of a defective crank im not gonna be happy, might try heating the crank and freezing the pin. It shouldn't be an interference fit right?

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

I vaguely remember having to get mean with mine to get it in the hole. 

iirc channel locks were used. 

It has been a problem with some stroker cranks, on my first crank it was a press fit and would not come out. The second crank it was a slip fit like it should be. Others have returned the crank or modified the pin to fit.

• Like 2

Hot Rods is aware of this they will send you a replacement. Or you can simply file down the pin and save yourself the hassle. It's retained by the gear so you won't have a problem by just turning down the pin diameter a .001.

• Like 2

I know this sucks, but a 'reamer' may also work,  just have someone assist you with a shop-vac or magnet.

Edited by Throttle5

A good 'normal reamer' is made out of 01, much harder than many (or any) 'case hardened' material.