Need some insight on jetting on a RM-Z 450.

If your bike is a real Carmichael edition you definitely need octane booster. The head and piston are different from a regular edition RMZ thus the need for the booster.

Many non-Carmichael bikes have had new plastic swapped on.

If your bike is a real Carmichael edition you definitely need octane booster. The head and piston are different from a regular edition RMZ thus the need for the booster.

Many non-Carmichael bikes have had new plastic swapped on.

Where are you getting this information might I ask?

You've obviously missed the point the jets,spring, and orings that moose racing uses in their kits, Is supplied by the same company that supplies oem bike manufacturers. There is no difference in quality.

So you're saying all the parts in the Moose kit are Keihin?

I have no interest in getting into an argument with you over it, what I can tell you is the needle in my Moose kit didn't have the grooves for the c-clip cut deep enough/correctly which caused the needle to not hang free which caused the emulsion tube to wear oval to the point the bike started running erratically at 35 hours. I also had issues with the bowl gasket/o-ring not fitting the groove in the bowl. I would have just said it was a fluke but then I had a conversation about it with the mechanic at a local shop who basically laughed at me when I told him I used a Moose kit in it, and told me they only occasionally use them for the gaskets and don't use any of the brass.

Additionally the OEM bowl gasket/o-ring I had to get from the dealer fit the bowl perfectly.

You've obviously missed the point the jets,spring, and orings that moose racing uses in their kits, Is supplied by the same company that supplies oem bike manufacturers. There is no difference in quality.

If if has the Keihin "K-star" insignia stamped into the brass, then yes, it's the same.

keihin_zpsof3u0fjk.jpg

The Moose kits I have seen used un-branded jets.....which are not Keihin jets....how can you tell?

M1003-0018_zpsc5zwarjk.jpg

Well, Keihin does not use brass Jet Needles in the FCR carbs, they use Stainless Steel (see pic above, not a SS needle)

Keihin also does not use actual brass alloy, but a proprietary alloy that has some copper in it, hence the darker color.

...and there is no 'K-star' stamp on the jets.

Edited by KRANNIE
  • Like 1

If if has the Keihin "K" insignia stamped into the brass, then yes, it's the same.

keihin_zpsof3u0fjk.jpg

The Moose kits I have seen used un-branded jets.....

mine are the same. Ive bought jets from rockymountainatvmc out of their oem parts catalog and they didnt have the k mark.

So you're saying all the parts in the Moose kit are Keihin?

I have no interest in getting into an argument with you over it, what I can tell you is the needle in my Moose kit didn't have the grooves for the c-clip cut deep enough/correctly which caused the needle to not hang free which caused the emulsion tube to wear oval to the point the bike started running erratically at 35 hours. I also had issues with the bowl gasket/o-ring not fitting the groove in the bowl. I would have just said it was a fluke but then I had a conversation about it with the mechanic at a local shop who basically laughed at me when I told him I used a Moose kit in it, and told me they only occasionally use them for the gaskets and don't use any of the brass.

Additionally the OEM bowl gasket/o-ring I had to get from the dealer fit the bowl perfectly.

Im not arguing with you, im just saying moose racing says they use the same jetting suppliers as oem.

Im not arguing with you, im just saying moose racing says they use the same jetting suppliers as oem.

Then you are making no sense, because there is Mikuni and Keihin, and their jets are marked.

EVERY other jet a copy. Not necessarly a bad copy, but still a copy.  

Many are bad, that is the point, and that is the reason not to use them and pull your hair out trying to figure out what went wrong, when you replace your  corroded 45 pilot jet with a new 45 pilot jet, but it runs like crap....

You can buy genuine jets from JetsRus, Sudco, JD Jetting, or your motorcycle dealer.

JD makes his own needles, but they too are SS, and are consistent in quality. 

• Like 1

Then you are making no sense, because there is Mikuni and Keihin, and their jets are marked.

EVERY other jet a copy. Not necessarly a bad copy, but still a copy.

Many are bad, that is the point, and that is the reason not to use them and pull your hair out trying to figure out what went wrong, when you replace your corroded 45 pilot jet with a new 45 pilot jet, but it runs like crap....

You can buy genuine jets from JetsRus, Sudco, JD Jetting, or your motorcycle dealer.

JD makes his own needles, but they too are SS, and are consistent in quality.

What im saying is moose racing says the jets they use in their kits are supplied by the same supplier who supplies oem bike manufacturers. That is their words not mine. The other poster said they're garbage and i said i never had a issue mine after 130+ hours on the kit. Edited by PelvicThruster
  • Like 1