What does everyone use to carry extra fuel?

Hey guys,

I own a WR450F and shes quite thirsty, so I'm just wondering whats a good way to carry an extra 1-2 litres of fuel?

I have to ride a good 15 minutes on an easy dirt road doing 100 km/h before I get into any hard riding so I'd probably 

be able to refuel it before I even start doing any technical riding.

I know I could get a bigger tank but that's expensive and I only need another 1-2 litres so doesn't seem worth getting the bigger tank.

Thanks,

Nath.

Carrying extra fuel is easy. Gatorade bottle inside and heavy duty zip lock bag in a pack for example but....

IMO first thing you need to do figure out exactly how much fuel your tank holds, then figure out exactly how much fuel you actually use.

I'm using litres and kilometres cus I'm in Canada and I did this twice and got pretty much the same results

Get an accurate measuring bottle.

Completely drain your tank.

Use the measuring bottle to fill the tank and write it down.

Go for a good ride at fast and low speeds using a GPS or an odometer (basically you need to know how far you rode and the accurate the better). Write down how far you rode.

Then top up the gas using the same bottle and write it down.

Then do the math and this is my example. Change KMS to Miles and L to US Gallons

Full Tank = 9.3L

Rode = 80KMS

Used = 4.8L

Balance = 4.5L

80KMS / 4.8L = 16.7KMS per LITRE

4.5L X 16.7 = 75KMS

80KMS + 75KMS = 155KMS (I round this down to 140KMS)

When I know I am going on really long rides, I use my GPS app on my phone and don't ride more than 70KMS before turning back and really a litre of extra gas is only 16kms of extra riding.

Sorry if this is nerdish but were I ride it's important NOT to run out of gas cus best case is it's a long long walk to your truck if you are on your own

• Like 1

When I know I am going on really long rides, I use my GPS app on my phone and don't ride more than 70KMS before turning back and really a litre of extra gas is only 16kms of extra riding.

For a basis of comparison, what are you riding?

Sorry - I thought I posted my bike in my long winded math post :(

2005 CRF250R with a 9.3L 2004 CRF250X tank. The bike likes to go fast and I will ride it hard but on the long rides I avoid pining it for long periods of time.

For the long test which was about a 160KM long FSR and I was riding mostly in 5th. Then the 2nd test was about a 30KM short slow technical ride.

This is the first long test ride which gives you elevation. The red arrow in the top is where the line is in the bottom, IMO its a combination of the bike and how and where your riding.

Just realized I may have been drunk when I posted this

Bralorne_zpsiohwgfpp.jpg

Edited by filterx

I carry liter water bottle full of gas and I lay my bike over because there's two sides of my tank there's always a bit left on the right side to get me where I'm going if all else fails you got a liter in your backpack [emoji6] not sure how your tank is but this has yet to fail me

http://www.mototrack.com.au/desert-fox-fuel-cell.html

I have one of these but haven't used it yet. I decided to keep the stock fuel tank on 500 exc and if I need more than that amount(not very often) I'll carry the bladder. Roll up and stow when empty. The Giant Loop option would be good too, same principal of roll up when empty and stow away. No bulky plastic container to deal with.