2012 WR250R Tops out at 54mph

I bought a cherry WR250R EDIT: WR250F used and was quite surprised by a number of things when I went to make the purchase. 1. It's not fuel injected (early 2012 model). 2. It only has 5 gears and tops out at about 50 MPH, which means the best I can cruise on the highway at is about 40 MPH.

I very disappointed in the slow top speed. Could there be an underlying reason why I'm seeing so many people online reporting 70+ as a top speed? I just want to know why mine is so much slower and see if they're us a viable fix. Thanks

BIG EDIT: I AM AN IDIOT :D It is a WR250FB....long story short I don't store it at my house so I had to go check what model it was....so much for getting a titled as a wr250r...back to the DMV :'(

BUT, the question still applies. 2012 WR250F is rated to go ~75 mph?

See:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/198868-top-speed-yamaha-wr-250f/

http://forum.dirtrider.com/discussion/8002729/wr-250f-top-speed/p1

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/02/27/dual-sport-motorcycle-comparison-test

Edited by Lvl99human

Based on your statements that it is not FI and only has five speeds, you do not have a WR250R.  All years of WR250R have FI and six speeds.

I suggest that you look at the Motor Vehicle I.D. Tag on the right side of the frame head to identify the bike.  Make sure that it agrees with the stamped number in the frame nearby.

Possibly you have a WR250F.  FYI, a healthy 100cc bike can reach 60 MPH.

Edited by BluePill

LMAO.  Every model year of WR250R since inception in 2008 has fuel injection and 6-speed transmission.  The WRR/X bikes also have unique engine, frame, plastics, and accessory styling that set it obviously apart from it's blue cousins.  

Based on your statements that it is not FI and only has five speeds, you do not have a WR250R.  All years of WR250R have FI and six speeds.

I suggest that you look at the Motor Vehicle I.D. Tag on the right side of the frame head to identify the bike.  Make sure that it agrees with the stamped number in the frame nearby.

Possibly you have a WR250F.  FYI, a healthy 100cc bike can reach 60 MPH.

THANK YOU. It is a WR250FB...can't seem to find much info on this model. . I'm still confused why it only goes up to ~54 mph at high rpm and cruises well at 43 mph

THANK YOU. It is a WR250FB...can't seem to find much info on this model. . I'm still confused why it only goes up to ~54 mph at high rpm and cruises well at 43 mph

Possibly it has had an extreme "gearing down" by changing the sprockets.  Can you count the number of teeth on both the front and rear sprockets and post that here?

Possibly it has had an extreme "gearing down" by changing the sprockets.  Can you count the number of teeth on both the front and rear sprockets and post that here?

Yeah, I'll count them asap..might take a few days as I store the bike away from home. Thanks!

Possibly it has had an extreme "gearing down" by changing the sprockets. Can you count the number of teeth on both the front and rear sprockets and post that here?

Went and checked this weekend. 50 teeth

Went and checked this weekend. 50 t

50 is stock for a 2013 model year, so It's not the reason for your performance problem.

Just to be clear about your top speed:

Does the bike actually not go much above 50 MPH, or are you thinking that the engine is revving too much at that speed?

Have you done a long ( 1 mile or more ) flat-out run on level ground?

Have you checked your speedometer against a GPS?