Rekluse clutch slipping in 5th, help?

Hey guys the bike is an 05 yz 250 and Ive never had a bike with a rekluse clutch before. I havent had any problems with it on riding trips but I was showing it to a potential buyer today and suddenly every gear is fine except when you get it into 5th gear there is a major slip and it hits a false neutral feeling with no power and a strange sounds. It seems like a clutch issue to me (fingers crossed), has anyone had a similar problem? any advice?

You either need new fiber plates or more play in the lever. Worn out clutch plates show their ugly head in higher gears first...but so does lack of free play in the lever.

I had same issue (and had a Rekluse clutch with a new clutch pack in). Tried stiffer springs which did not help and noticed it jumped out of 4th too. Actual cause was the common problem of the shift stopper assembly bearing failure.  When this bearing fails you get less pressure on the trans to stay in a gear, so it jumps into false neutrals.

You either need new fiber plates or more play in the lever. Worn out clutch plates show their ugly head in higher gears first...but so does lack of free play in the lever.

I think you're right, the problem is the rekluse assembly has me scratching my head on adjusting the free play, I think there is a possibility that I need a new cable as it seems to be all stretched out. I'll have to take the clutch apart and do some inspecting. Any advice on a micrometer or tool to measure out the fibers/plates??

I had same issue (and had a Rekluse clutch with a new clutch pack in). Tried stiffer springs which did not help and noticed it jumped out of 4th too. Actual cause was the common problem of the shift stopper assembly bearing failure.  When this bearing fails you get less pressure on the trans to stay in a gear, so it jumps into false neutrals.

Thank you so much! You reminded me of something, was your bike a yz? Because when I had my old yz 125 they did have a shift stopper issue and I remember updating mine before running into any problems. This could definitely be a possibility. I do remember that the shift stopper was supposed to make it difficult to find neutral at a stop from first gear, but the rekluse clutch could very well be masking this problem.

What model rekluse is it? If it's a core exp 2.0/3.0 the adjustment is very easy as long as the clutch cable is disconnected at the lever. If it's a zsp there really isn't much adjustment on the inside, it's all at the lever and it needs to be setup kinda sloppy.

Nm. Miss read.

Edited by E36M3E

If you have a z-start pro contact Rekluse and get some tungsten carbide balls. It's amazing the difference just replacing 3 balls with T/C will make.

All I will add to this is you have 2 seperate issues, clutch slipping, and popping out of gear are two seperate things. The clutch slipping part, well everyone with a rekluse core will experience this at some point in the higher gears, you simply have some wear on the plates and need to pop the side cover off loosen the 2 allen set screws and back the adjuster out and re do the tension, which is simply spinning the adjuster clockwise until you feel tension and marking that point on the pressure plate, then turning it from that point 1 full turn and two tick marks, then retighten set screw install cover and ride away. The false neutral is a whole other issue, probably the shift stopper, or the tumbler.

All I will add to this is you have 2 seperate issues, clutch slipping, and popping out of gear are two seperate things. The clutch slipping part, well everyone with a rekluse core will experience this at some point in the higher gears, you simply have some wear on the plates and need to pop the side cover off loosen the 2 allen set screws and back the adjuster out and re do the tension, which is simply spinning the adjuster clockwise until you feel tension and marking that point on the pressure plate, then turning it from that point 1 full turn and two tick marks, then retighten set screw install cover and ride away. The false neutral is a whole other issue, probably the shift stopper, or the tumbler.

I appreciate the advice from everyone, and I will definitely inspect. 

Im going to go ahead and replace the shift stopper while I inspect the clutch. Also I dont know the rekluse model because I bought the bike with the rekluse already installed.

Thanks everyone!