What would you recommend for a lighting kit for a 2007 KTM 250 2 Stroke?  I don't plan on riding on the street much at all, just here and there to connect trails, but want to have what's required in case I do get pulled over.  What would be a simple, non-expensive, reliable set up?  I have no battery (pre E-button) . . . need a head light, tail/brake light, plate light, blinkers, and a horn.

in all honesty, i think the headlights suck.

i love my cyclops led helmet light, its badass, always light where im looking

its brighter than the trail tech x2 light by far

the brightest head light is the baja designs, but at almost 400 bucks, who wants to spend that?

i also had the cyclops led light in my headlight, its ok. but it doesnt work anymore because the fan mounted on the light broke off

I'm really only concerned with LEO.  Not planning to do night rides, just want to be able to have what's needed where if I hop on the road and get seen, I'll have enough to not get hassled.

Would I need a new stator or anything special to run one of these Trail Tech headlights?  Thinking one of these along with the Tusk lighting kit might be the way to go.

Edited by schmo

For my GF's KLX140 we used:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1156/26724/Tusk-Motorcycle-Enduro-Lighting-Kit

and

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1156/26752/Polisport-HMX-Headlight-%28LED-Lights%29?term=led+headlight

You'd have to add a battery, but the LED headlight barley draws any juice compared to a conventional headlight.

• Like 1

I like Mitch's idea of the add on headlight. That's pretty cheap for a LED setup. I think your first step would be to call Baja Designs and see what they can put together for you. I'm thinking you are looking at somewhere between 300-500 bucks. Or maybe go on ebay and see what you can find used. I did not realize how pricey these kits are until you brought it up. I'll be following this thread!!

Here are some more choices

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Motorcycle-Parts-/10063/i.html?_nkw=2007%20KTM%20250%20dual%20sport%20kit&_trksid=p2050890.m1602

How about just piecing it together with OEM KTM stuff and a small battery. Plug and play is cool but by getting small flush mounts an and OEM headlamp/taillight you would be stealth. I bet Baja Designs could build you the wiring harness and you could purchase the rest separately. It looks like you are going to have to dig deep and get to serious wrenching.

Here is a thread on KTM talk to get you started.

http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?515335-Dual-sport-kit-for-2-stroke&highlight=dual+sport

Edited by ballisticexchris

OEM Tail piece will offer support and cost about $100 for all the parts.  EE is about the same price but is not as nice regardless of their pictures.

dual_sport_enduro_conversion_tail_light_

Best looking aftermarket tail piece for a KTM or other modern bikes less than $50.

pol_14_sae_ece_led_tai_lig_bra_lig-blk.j

OEM Headlights are pricey...  for a KTM and less than $60 this works great.

pol_09_mmx_hea_whi.jpg

Baja Designs even makes  Squadron LED for it.

IMG5271-L.jpg

Tusk for the switches, blinkers, brake switch, flasher, Lithium battery...  inexpensive and reliable.

Or pay someone $500 for a plug and play kit that uses all the same stuff.

• Like 1

Keep the ideas coming fellas . . . much appreciated.  I got to pull the trigger on this quick.  I was looking at the Trail Tech X2 . . . noticed they have a dual sport and off road versions . . . any idea as to the difference?   I kinda like the look of the Trail Tech more than the other aftermarket ones and nothing comes up for my bike on the OEM finder.  Will I need a stator with the Trail Tech, from what I could tell it might be plug and play :excuseme:  I watched the Tusk video and it actually looked better than I expected . . . looks really bulky in the pic.  I think I'll go that route as that way I'll have everything once I get the headlight.  Got to figure out which color to go with too . . . decisions decisions!!!

Edited by schmo

Keep the ideas coming fellas . . . much appreciated.  I got to pull the trigger on this quick.  I was looking at the Trail Tech X2 . . . noticed they have a dual sport and off road versions . . . any idea as to the difference?   I kinda like the look of the Trail Tech more than the other aftermarket ones and nothing comes up for my bike on the OEM finder.  Will I need a stator with the Trail Tech, from what I could tell it might be plug and play :excuseme:  I watched the Tusk video and it actually looked better than I expected . . . looks really bulky in the pic.  I think I'll go that route as that way I'll have everything once I get the headlight.  Got to figure out which color to go with too . . . decisions decisions!!!

one difference between the dual sport and offroad trail tech x2 is that the adjustable beam light on the dual sport is limited as not to blind the oncoming traffic.

Edited by msgtretired

How about just piecing it together with OEM KTM stuff and a small battery. Plug and play is cool but by getting small flush mounts an and OEM headlamp/taillight you would be stealth. I bet Baja Designs could build you the wiring harness and you could purchase the rest separately. It looks like you are going to have to dig deep and get to serious wrenching.

Here is a thread on KTM talk to get you started.

http://ktmtalk.com/showthread.php?515335-Dual-sport-kit-for-2-stroke&highlight=dual+sport

I think the stock 2005-2007 US exc rear tail pieces is by far the best.  It's like $20 without the light.  You can lift the bike with it and it is almost indestructible.   I went through two aftermarket ones on my 2010 because I was to cheep to get the $90 tail light lenz I broke. The tail light is expensive though but you can rig some others on.  I used a CRF one and another off Amazon before.  An aftermarket head light mask with a cheep bulb will work and you can probably get an ebay LED bulb for $15 to $20 with 3 times the brightness (I got one but it flickers because I'm still running AC to it).  I got the $5 radio shack rectifier but haven't installed it yet.  I use the flush mount stick on Lockhart Philips turn signals.  I do my own wiring but it is time consuming and a pain.  You can find an inexpensive combo hi-lo, turn, and horn switch.  Both my 525 and 250 use A/C from the generator so the lights only work when the bike is running.  I would guess there is an A/C connector off the stock harness under the tank or behind the front plate somewhere.  If you have the front master with the 2 holes for the brake switch you can find those for $20 but not at the dealers.

Joe I think you've seen my BD Squadron headlight.  That thing basically lets you ride as fast as you want on singletrack at night, when combined with a decent headlamp.  Need to have both if you want to knock out shadows.

I have no idea what it would take to put one on a 2-stroke - may not even be possible.  It's a plug-and-play kit for EFI bikes since they put out DC power for the fuel pump.  But for the $200-300 it was sure a nice easy option and a great contingency if rides go later than expected, which can be a real possibility up in the woods in your area.  If you're going to put one on, see if you can get a juiced up stator and do it right.

I think the stock 2005-2007 US exc rear tail pieces is by far the best.  It's like $20 without the light.  You can lift the bike with it and it is almost indestructible.   I went through two aftermarket ones on my 2010 because I was to cheep to get the $90 tail light lenz I broke. The tail light is expensive though but you can rig some others on.  I used a CRF one and another off Amazon before.  An aftermarket head light mask with a cheep bulb will work and you can probably get an ebay LED bulb for $15 to $20 with 3 times the brightness (I got one but it flickers because I'm still running AC to it).  I got the $5 radio shack rectifier but haven't installed it yet.  I use the flush mount stick on Lockhart Philips turn signals.  I do my own wiring but it is time consuming and a pain.  You can find an inexpensive combo hi-lo, turn, and horn switch.  Both my 525 and 250 use A/C from the generator so the lights only work when the bike is running.  I would guess there is an A/C connector off the stock harness under the tank or behind the front plate somewhere.  If you have the front master with the 2 holes for the brake switch you can find those for $20 but not at the dealers.

Do you think that EXC tail will fix my smoker?  Got a link to it?  I have zero wiring experience which is what makes that Tusk kit attractive as other than the head light it seems to have everything I'd need, but I don't want to go cheap and hate it.  I like the idea of running LEDs where I could run stuff off the stock system . . . I don't need anything on when the bike is off.

stick with Sicass.

stay away from Trail Tech.

also, check out the eBay guy that has the LED taillight conversions with or without integrated blinkers...http://m.ebay.com/itm/KTM-2008-2011-EXC-XC-XC-W-LED-Taillight-/191863046169?nav=SEARCH

this one looks like your year. call the guy. it's in the description.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/KTM-2004-2007-EXC-XC-MXC-LED-Taillight-/191863012559?nav=SEARCH

Edited by RAZR_

stick with Sicass.

stay away from Trail Tech.

also, check out the eBay guy that has the LED taillight conversions with or without integrated blinkers...http://m.ebay.com/itm/KTM-2008-2011-EXC-XC-XC-W-LED-Taillight-/191863046169?nav=SEARCH

this one looks like your year. call the guy. it's in the description.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/KTM-2004-2007-EXC-XC-MXC-LED-Taillight-/191863012559?nav=SEARCH

Thanks RAZR!

The sicass kit comes with the trail tech light . . . should that be avoided?  What's another good headlight option that isn't too ugly or pricey?  I like that tail/light from Ebay . . . does that one include the additional support others mentioned?  I'm thinking if I could wire up the tail light with intregrated blinkers and throw a headlight on I'd be golden . . . not too worried about front blinkers or the horn.

• Like 1