Timing issue after rebuild

Question for the engine builders out there.... I just finished putting together a YZ108 stroker motor. I used a Hot Rods +2 crankshaft. I cannot seem to get the timing set. The stock setting is .035" BTDC. At the end of the adjustment on my stator, the closest I can get is about .100" BTDC. Is it possible that the keyslot could be that far off on the new crank? How would you go about correcting it? Lengthen the slots on the stator plate?

Question for the engine builders out there.... I just finished putting together a YZ108 stroker motor. I used a Hot Rods +2 crankshaft. I cannot seem to get the timing set. The stock setting is .035" BTDC. At the end of the adjustment on my stator, the closest I can get is about .100" BTDC. Is it possible that the keyslot could be that far off on the new crank? How would you go about correcting it? Lengthen the slots on the stator plate?

how exactly are you getting your measurement? how is it mounted? adaptor?

Measurements were taken using a dial indicator through the spark plug hole. I used a timing light and made a mark where it was firing, then backed the piston up from TDC.

Im not sure about the timing light..... I just checked the timing on my 250 for the first time. I turned the crank counter clockwise until the gauge reversed. Set the gauge to zero, and when I lined up the mark on the fly wheel with the mark on the stator I got about .009 which is about what most people get.    have you read this thread on timing?    im not sure about the model yz but maybe it will help?    https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/584339-yz250-timing-thread/

Edited by yz250474