Suggest a dual-sport in the 200-450cc range

I am looking for a street legal dual sport bike in the 200-450 range.  I'm guessing that 250 is ideally where I want to be.  Obviously lighter is better.  But I don't want to break the bank either.  I could spend up to $4000 but less is better.  Pretty sure I won't be getting any orange bikes.

I'm 155lbs 5'6" with 30" inseam.  I am fully aware that many people will say that I don't need to be able to get both feet on the ground but I want to be able to at least get the balls of both feet down.  

I am 40 year old.  Experienced mountain biker.  I currently have my second motorcycle and first dual sport.  It is a DR650.  I love the seat height but it is too big and heavy to have very much fun off road.  I have taken it on single track and was able to manage but that's about it.  

I have learned that single track & trail riding is what I'm really in to, although most of my riding will probably be double track and fire lanes.  I also want it to be street legal but it doesn't have to be great on the highway.  I live in indiana where the off road opportunities are limited to off road "parks," however I am close to Michigan and would like to do some riding up there.

I test drove a XT250...boring.  I test drove a KLX250S...better.  The KLX had little acceleration to start off in each gear then it had a "surge" where it finally seemed to get some power. Is that normal for KLX's?  Haven't been on a CRF250L yet.  I'm interested in trying a 1998-1999 DR350.  Would like to try a XT225 because I heard they have a little more spunk than the XT250.  I think a DRZ400 will be too tall, heavy and top heavy at that.

Prefer electric start.  

I think it will be difficult to find a WR250r in my price range.  It may be too tall anyways.  Does anyone know if they can be lowered to around 32 or 34 inch seat height with a lower seat and lowering links, etc?  Or is that unrealistic?  I have also heard that the WRs require more maintenance.  Not that its unreliable, but requires more frequent PM, etc.  I'm not much of a mechanic so it needs to be very reliable.

What is the reliability of the CRF250L like?

I think after purchasing this smaller dual sport bike I'm going to buy a more street biased adventure bike like a NC700X or something.  That's most of the reason why I want it to be as inexpensive as possible.

I haven't been on a DR200 or Yamaha/Honda 230 either.  Are they usually slower or quicker than 250cc bikes?  

What other options should I be considering?  Are there any other options in the 400cc range (other than tall and expensive bikes)?

Wow! I really rambled a lot.  Thanks for your help!

Edited by ehinrj01

i would suggest a ktm 400exc, light and electric start. I do not think its that tall but I am 6,5 soo I cant really say. i haven't ridden a klx 250 but we have a klx300 and I haven't noticed any surge. I would not recommend a 200cc for anything besides putting around. We have a tw200 and its pretty slow