Honda XL 250 Revival 1974

Recently ended up with a 74 xl250. First honda in my lineup since i was a wee lad. My yamahas give it dirty looks but she has her charms and we're gonna bring her back to life. Ive already put way to many man hours into scrubbing all the rust out of the kehin and probably twice as many getting the rust out of the tank. Wiring is still a rats nest. But coming along...as in it fires up. And has a headlight...woot woot.. Hoping to get all the dents removed from the tank soon but rust proofing it was a bit more important.

Screenshot_2016-06-01-21-10-15_zpsg6fphb

Screenshot_2016-06-01-21-08-48_zps9zsyig

Screenshot_2016-06-01-21-10-06_zpsdfnnld

Screenshot_2016-06-01-21-09-56_zpszliuyy

Screenshot_2016-06-01-21-09-44_zpsebrnty

Screenshot_2016-06-01-21-09-18_zpsswzsb0

Screenshot_2016-06-01-21-09-02_zpsapvbis

• Like 2

Short proof of concept video i made for some of my honda guru's. But it shows how far its come from rusty to just dusty

your bike is a 1975 XL250. Check XLINTPERFORMANCE.COM for model ID etc.  the 1974 model had a silver tank and orange accent stripes with satin black down the center of the tank.

Great bikes.  They like fresh oil and kept that way as the cam rides on plain aluminum bushings in the head, no bearings. 

Great info thanks. But she was manufactured in 9-74 and is titled as a 74. Ive been calling it 74/75 but its good to know now its a 75

the 1975 tank is throwing me. LOL.... RED BLACK tank on a 1974, XL250K1.

Probably some bastard child lol. But ill raise it to be a good underpowered pig. Who knows what kind of life its had in the past 40 years

And i took your advice motorsportman and changed oil after running a secret squirrel concoction of crap in it. Good call. Just puked out black sludge.

And i wanted to show off my tool pouch. Cause i mean...come on...its like...snap on quality. Clearly honda gave you the good stuff when you bought a bike lol. No seriously the factory tool pouch is nice to have as a historic little side note

Screenshot_2016-06-07-21-52-26_zpsegeq9j

Screenshot_2016-06-07-21-52-15_zps0pw4pv

Screenshot_2016-06-07-21-52-19_zpsb5igxv

Screenshot_2016-06-07-21-52-11_zpshlc2wf

Bike will love you long time - for fresh oil and regular changes,  Looks like a Monster sized off road sprocket on it.  Stock sprockets were 14/48. And even at that they were pretty busy at 50MPH - 5,000 RPM's.  I would go back down to a 48 in the rear to lower your on road RPM's and make it cruise better.

Check out XLintperformance.com  for good stuff on XL's.  Dave Rhynehart owner. He is a XLint XL guru.

18 HP was claimed originally.  First 4 valve head. It is a dirt road bike.  Easy single track trails.  Fork seals and fresh oil will  help.  OEM shocks were crap. The engine is bulletproof, with as I said frequent oil changes and a clean air filter.  Original carb is not the best and can be replaced with a 32mm Mikuni.  Dave Rhynehart at XLINT can refer you to a tank restoration guy clean it out and paint it 350.00 or so... (Bones Cooper).  Check your points and timing and a new plug NGK D8EA.  It will never be a KTM 500EXC LOL!!!!

Edited by Motosprtman
  • Like 1

Bike will love you long time - for fresh oil and regular changes, Looks like a Monster sized off road sprocket on it. Stock sprockets were 14/48. And even at that they were pretty busy at 50MPH - 5,000 RPM's. I would go back down to a 48 in the rear to lower your on road RPM's and make it cruise better.

Check out XLintperformance.com for good stuff on XL's. Dave Rhynehart owner. He is a XLint XL guru.

18 HP was claimed originally. First 4 valve head. It is a dirt road bike. Easy single track trails. Fork seals and fresh oil will help. OEM shocks were crap. The engine is bulletproof, with as I said frequent oil changes and a clean air filter. Original carb is not the best and can be replaced with a 32mm Mikuni. Dave Rhynehart at XLINT can refer you to a tank restoration guy clean it out and paint it 350.00 or so... (Bones Cooper). Check your points and timing and a new plug NGK D8EA. It will never be a KTM 500EXC LOL!!!!

Already cleaned up points. Adjusted valves. New plugs. About once a week cause im a two stroke guy and i like clean spark plugs. And im not touching that damn carb lol. Ive torn it apart 10 times to get it perfect so its gonna live on there a while lol.

Im really not dogging the bike. I know it seems like that. It just is a gruelling process. I hate constantly adjusting crap. But im getting it closer to being a "good" bike

• Like 1

They ran rich from the factory.  Coupled with a rather weak 6V magneto ignition they can and will foul a plug. However!  There is a fix dependent of course on how it is running now, and you want to dive back in that carb.  Raise the needle to the second or even top notch in order to lean it out.  IF the plug is black and sooty after this adjustment you may have the dreaded BSPS. (Black sooty plug syndrome) causes, low compression or cam timing off.  They will run if the cam chain is off a tooth - albeit not well and it will idle poor if at all. If it is idling ok and plug is a nice tan color - then dismiss all of the above and just run it. 

if you can squeeze 70 MPH out of it with that rear sprocket it must be redlined and then some. Don't do that - unless you want to spread parts all over the place. Go back to 14/48 and ride it at 50MPH max  60 is screaming it.

These are simple old bikes from a simpler time. In it's day it was the shit! albeit a heavy turd.  I owned one new in 1973. I restore them now.  The XL350 is the better bike. Engine is better in power. still not a dirt bike.  Tons of mods over the years for these bikes and still have a following today.

Enjoy it for what it is - as you are!

Speaking of 1974 XL 250's...

When stripping the bike for vintage XC racing...can you confirm for me this basic wiring system:

> Blk/wht wire from magneto goes to simple on/off switch 

> Hot-side Wire from on/off switch goes to 3 connections: points, condenser, coil

Question: Is the coil grounded to the frame via the mounting bolts and a paint-free mounting tab?

Or does the green wire coming from the coil have to also route to a clean frame ground?

Thanks for any advice.

I had a '72 XL250. As was said, it really wasn't a "dirt bike".  Too heavy.  But I enjoyed it.  I rode it full time for about 3 years, and with regular oil changes, I never had a speck of trouble.  With stock gearing, I believe I could cruise at 55 with moderate RPM's.  Great every day bike.  I miss it.

• Like 1