Fryboy

KTM frame is superior to all frames and is the best chassis ever!

You get to take memories of the day home with you. They were insanely strong though.

You enjoy the mud and I'll stick to the trophies...

We I was just a little boy, we dreamed of having Akronts and Motoplats. in my teens, Preston Petty was the shizzzle and laydown shocks meant you were 'going pro'.

Good days, huh?

Good days, huh?

They really were and not just from a kids perspective. Racing has gotten too professional for its' own good. The jumps now are ridiculous and not what MX is supposed to be, but they make for the show. The only good thing has been the focus on safety (helmets, and gear.

Used to be a ratty van with an 8 track. You'd sleep next to the bike. Those that were not pro, had bumper carriers on a old Buick. You needed a part, the guy next you might have one and just give it to you. A guys bike would have a problem and everyone would pitch in.Dealerships had people that really ate, slept and breathed bikes.

• Like 3

They really were and not just from a kids perspective. Racing has gotten too professional for its' own good. The jumps now are ridiculous and not what MX is supposed to be, but they make for the show. The only good thing has been the focus on safety (helmets, and gear.

Used to be a ratty van with an 8 track. You'd sleep next to the bike. Those that were not pro, had bumper carriers on a old Buick. You needed a part, the guy next you might have one and just give it to you. A guys bike would have a problem and everyone would pitch in.Dealerships had people that really ate, slept and breathed bikes.

Yep, the old Craig 8 track under the dash with that thunk as it changed tracks. Things were much more land back and fun. You had a huge selection of bikes. Within bicycle distance of my house I had Kolbe Honda, Cole brothers Suzuki/ Maico, Mid Valley CZ / Ossa, Steve's Bultaco, Scrambler Yamaha, Burbank Kawasaki/BSA, a Husky dealer, a Monark dealer, a Greeves dealer, Hodaka, Penton, the Montesa distributor...a dirt bike kids dream. Bill Walters leathers was around the corner and Dave Aldana had a shop not far away. For tracks we had Indian Dunes, Baymare, Muntz and all the hills you could ever want. Younger guys can't even imagine.

• Like 2

Racing has gotten too professional for its' own good. 

You're talking about modern day enduro/woods racing, still plenty of that kind of stuff going on...Although the rigs are slowly but surely making their way into that area too

Edited by Arctic Pride
  • Like 1

If best Korea ever made bikes and started racing they'd show us what a superior bike is really like

First they got to take the north so they have a place to ride  :ride: Only fishing boats at this point..

My hoop bumper carriers were on an Impala, front and rear and occasionally with my boat on the hitch at the same time.  '72 Suzuki TS250 Savage and a 185 for my wife, universal tires. Bad to the bone!

• Like 3

Yep, the old Craig 8 track under the dash with that thunk as it changed tracks. Things were much more land back and fun. You had a huge selection of bikes. Within bicycle distance of my house I had Kolbe Honda, Cole brothers Suzuki/ Maico, Mid Valley CZ / Ossa, Steve's Bultaco, Scrambler Yamaha, Burbank Kawasaki/BSA, a Husky dealer, a Monark dealer, a Greeves dealer, Hodaka, Penton, the Montesa distributor...a dirt bike kids dream. Bill Walters leathers was around the corner and Dave Aldana had a shop not far away. For tracks we had Indian Dunes, Baymare, Muntz and all the hills you could ever want. Younger guys can't even imagine.

Funny you mention that.  When I was in 9th or 10th grade a buddy and I would ride about 10 miles on our bikes to go look at dirt bikes.  Of course now days you can find nearly all of them under one roof.  First we'd hit the Honda shop, then peddle our way to Kawasaki, then further along to Suzuki, and finally down the hill to the Yamaha shop.  It was the better part of a Saturday just doing that and getting home.  And those bikes were amazing.  So much more advanced than our bikes that were only 5 years older.  Ours were complete relics in only 5 years.

• Like 1

Air cooled,piston port, points really non-suspension, drum brakes to water cooled, reed valved, CDI, mono shock, disk brakes in just a few years. The 70's were amazing. Every year the bikes were really new and different. Even the street bikes. The term 'bold new graphics' did not exist and had anyone even uttered it, they'd of been a laughing stock.

Back on topic, frame breakage has always occurred. A frame breaks, you found a weak point. You improve it. Same happens with engine design. You create an engine, there is a design flaw. It is identified and resolved. Everything in the world wants to return the Earth, some just faster than others. If there is an actual flaw, a good manufacturer steps up and replaces the frames on all the bikes with that flaw. Sometimes, a frame or part just fails from normal excessive stress racing puts on it. It is a trade off.

• Like 2

Funny you mention that.  When I was in 9th or 10th grade a buddy and I would ride about 10 miles on our bikes to go look at dirt bikes.  Of course now days you can find nearly all of them under one roof.  First we'd hit the Honda shop, then peddle our way to Kawasaki, then further along to Suzuki, and finally down the hill to the Yamaha shop.  It was the better part of a Saturday just doing that and getting home.  And those bikes were amazing.  So much more advanced than our bikes that were only 5 years older.  Ours were complete relics in only 5 years.

True that! A '77 Yamaha is/was light years ahead of a '72, and an '82 was light years beyond a '77.

Today a 2006 yz250 or cr250, 2-stroke or 4-stroke is a very capable recreation level bike. Same for the Honda and Yamaha 450's.

• Like 1

Air cooled,piston port, points really non-suspension, drum brakes to water cooled, reed valved, CDI, mono shock, disk brakes in just a few years. The 70's were amazing. Every year the bikes were really new and different. Even the street bikes. The term 'bold new graphics' did not exist and had anyone even uttered it, they'd of been a laughing stock.

Back on topic, frame breakage has always occurred. A frame breaks, you found a weak point. You improve it. Same happens with engine design. You create an engine, there is a design flaw. It is identified and resolved. Everything in the world wants to return the Earth, some just faster than others. If there is an actual flaw, a good manufacturer steps up and replaces the frames on all the bikes with that flaw. Sometimes, a frame or part just fails from normal excessive stress racing puts on it. It is a trade off.

The 70s were certainly a time of change especially for dirtbikes which --in a lot of respects-- if you think about it were on the cutting edge of new-at-the-time well made Asian consumer products that grew to dominate a market segment. (soon to follow electronics, autos, white goods, & etc)

Agree on the frame breakage issue you are spot on there. 

• Like 1

&%$#@! your old!  :facepalm:  :lol:

• Like 2

Now that you mention it the 70s mostly sucked, shitty 8-tracks with disco tunes, and crap bikes that were mostly pieces of Euro shit from WWII. No wonder the young folks are riding ATVs now... ;):lol: :lol:

Now that you mention it the 70s mostly sucked, shitty 8-tracks with disco tunes, and crap bikes that were mostly pieces of Euro shit from WWII. No wonder the young folks are riding ATVs now... ;):lol: :lol:

The 70's were over forty years ago! If we were in the 70's right now, forty years prior would be the 30's!

Forty years is a long time. Something better change in forty years! - and it does, and it has.

The conversation gets interesting around here on a bye week of racing.

• Like 1

s1200_image.jpg

what ever was used to weld that is off..   I fig robot welded it, something is not adjusted right the welder or jig..  prob both..  frame flex the joint from a improper weld

what ever was used to weld that is off..   I fig robot welded it, something is not adjusted right the welder or jig..  prob both..  frame flex the joint from a improper weld

A fig robot?