2016 kx450f clutch whine when hot.

After searching for similar cases to my 2016 kx450f clutch whining when hot it seems this subject has been beat to death. It seems crazy to me that Kawasaki has not resolved this problem. I shouldn't have to do a push rod modification to a brand new bike! How common is this issue and will using 1000 ml of oil work to stop the noise? I'm using Kawasaki synthetic 10w40

After searching for similar cases to my 2016 kx450f clutch whining when hot it seems this subject has been beat to death. It seems crazy to me that Kawasaki has not resolved this problem. I shouldn't have to do a push rod modification to a brand new bike! How common is this issue and will using 1000 ml of oil work to stop the noise? I'm using Kawasaki synthetic 10w40

i've run an extra 75-100cc of oil in my 13 and now my 16. no issues. I also run shell rotella 15-40.

Colton, I agree with you 100%. A new bike should not have this issue. It's also doesn't set a very good image on the brand when I ride back to the pits on my new bike making this terrible whinning noise. Everybody looks at me with this confused look and says 'what the hell is that noise'?

Mine started doing it around the 3 hr mark when hot. I started using Maxima ProPlus full synthetic (1L) and it seems to help until I get about 2.5 hrs on the oil. Then it starts up again.

I'm going to talk to my dealer but unless he gets an ok from Kawasaki to make the mod why would he do it? I don't see how they could recreate the noise in the shop.

Colton, I agree with you 100%. A new bike should not have this issue. It's also doesn't set a very good image on the brand when I ride back to the pits on my new bike making this terrible whinning noise. Everybody looks at me with this confused look and says 'what the hell is that noise'?

Mine started doing it around the 3 hr mark when hot. I started using Maxima ProPlus full synthetic (1L) and it seems to help until I get about 2.5 hrs on the oil. Then it starts up again.

I'm going to talk to my dealer but unless he gets an ok from Kawasaki to make the mod why would he do it? I don't see how they could recreate the noise in the shop.

so from the sound of it adding more oil didn't cure the noise for you. This is extremely frustrating. All the shops I called said they haven't heard of this happening! Like you said, how could the shop possibly recreate the noise without riding the bike hard and in hot conditions ugh! :(

i've run an extra 75-100cc of oil in my 13 and now my 16. no issues. I also run shell rotella 15-40.

why diesel oil? Has anyone tried talking with Kawasaki directly?

why diesel oil? Has anyone tried talking with Kawasaki directly?

I forget who suggested I try it but it's all I've ran the past few years. It's cheap, and works well. All my 11 250f saw which had quite a bit of work done to it motor wise and at 85 hours when I did a crank everything looked really good. Bike was on its original clutch when I sold it with 115 hours. My 13 450 had nothing but rosella, and my 16 is the same thus far. Lot of engine builders recommend it. Kawasaki oil is just rebranded oil for more $...

Does this happen regardless of what clutch you have?  And i keep hearing about the Rotella and its cheap goodness... i may have to give it a try just because my dealers been out of my usual.

Does this happen regardless of what clutch you have?  And i keep hearing about the Rotella and its cheap goodness... i may have to give it a try just because my dealers been out of my usual.

my engine is completely stock I only have about 20 hours on the bike and up until the day it made the noise I was riding in cooler temps.

I figured it was happening on stock clutch, but im wondering if putting in a rekluse if it still has the problem. Id rather upgrade the clutch then modify a part... then again is it actually a problem or just annoying? I heard a little bit of noise but it wasnt very consistant but it did seem to only appear when I would be running the bike hard up hills in the trials.

I figured it was happening on stock clutch, but im wondering if putting in a rekluse if it still has the problem. Id rather upgrade the clutch then modify a part... then again is it actually a problem or just annoying? I heard a little bit of noise but it wasnt very consistant but it did seem to only appear when I would be running the bike hard up hills in the trials.

I'm not sure upgrading the clutch would help because I think the problem is the push rod not getting enough oil. Whether it's a problem that decreases reliability, or just annoying I'm not sure.

Mine made the noise the first day. Had my dealer call kawasaki because they had heard nothing about the noise these bikes were making. They called me right back and said kawasaki is sending the specs for the clutch mod and paying the bill. We also added 100cc more oil and haven't heard the noise since. I also use kawasaki 20w 50 oil.

Mine made the noise the first day. Had my dealer call kawasaki because they had heard nothing about the noise these bikes were making. They called me right back and said kawasaki is sending the specs for the clutch mod and paying the bill. We also added 100cc more oil and haven't heard the noise since. I also use kawasaki 20w 50 oil.

so is 10w 40 synthetic to light of oil?

I'm not sure upgrading the clutch would help because I think the problem is the push rod not getting enough oil. Whether it's a problem that decreases reliability, or just annoying I'm not sure.

Your over reacting man, it isn't even really a big deal. I know your annoyed and its a brand new bike. But you have an amazing bike. My 13 and 14 both did it. The push rod will be a little scarred up on the end that goes into the motor but that's about it. It doesn't hurt anything, take out the pushrod it takes like 10 minutes and get a flat spot machined in it. I posted the pics and stuff in this forum. Piece of cake

Your over reacting man, it isn't even really a big deal. I know your annoyed and its a brand new bike. But you have an amazing bike. My 13 and 14 both did it. The push rod will be a little scarred up on the end that goes into the motor but that's about it. It doesn't hurt anything, take out the pushrod it takes like 10 minutes and get a flat spot machined in it. I posted the pics and stuff in this forum. Piece of cake

I dont feel its over reacting when those marks mean material being taken off and put into the oil. It also means a part isnt receiving enough oil - a leading cause of failure.  And the fact that its happening to a bike for a third year? Why isnt this mod something they do at the factory if they have the specs to machine it? While its easy - It shouldnt need done and surely it would be cheaper for them to do it instead of paying dealers. Im going to try going to the dealer and getting them to do it - I just dont have the room to take the bike apart at this moment.

I guess because I dont trade my bike out every year I try and take a little more caution to ensure a long trouble free life...

• Like 2

It is an amazing bike no doubt, and I plan on keeping it for a long time. Im just concerned that later down the road this might cause a problem. Guess I'll just keep feeding her fresh oil and continue to rip and grip.

I dont feel its over reacting when those marks mean material being taken off and put into the oil. It also means a part isnt receiving enough oil - a leading cause of failure. And the fact that its happening to a bike for a third year? Why isnt this mod something they do at the factory if they have the specs to machine it? While its easy - It shouldnt need done and surely it would be cheaper for them to do it instead of paying dealers. Im going to try going to the dealer and getting them to do it - I just dont have the room to take the bike apart at this moment.

I guess because I dont trade my bike out every year I try and take a little more caution to ensure a long trouble free life...

It doesnt affect anything in the bike. Or lead to any failure, my 16 doesnt do it. But my last few 450s did. I ran motul 300v 15w-50 and it helped in my old bikes.

• Like 1