Drz400e tank on s model

So I bought a oem e model tank for my 2000 s model.

Did I miss something? I thought it would just bolt up. I don't see anywhere to mount this thing to.

The metal tank utilized the large round rubber grommets while the plastic one has brackets like it should bolt to frame but no place to bolt it.

So I bought a oem e model tank for my 2000 s model.

Did I miss something? I thought it would just bolt up. I don't see anywhere to mount this thing to.

The metal tank utilized the large round rubber grommets while the plastic one has brackets like it should bolt to frame but no place to bolt it.

This can be done but you'll need some of the "E" model pieces before it will mount. Maybe try comparing the parts diagrams for each model at an online site such as Ron Ayers, etc. That's the route I took when I installed an "E" model tank. I do remember that only one of the front "E" model mounts was used and I used cable ties to hold the "E" model tank to frame mount in place. 

• Like 1

This can be done but you'll need some of the "E" model pieces before it will mount. Maybe try comparing the parts diagrams for each model at an online site such as Ron Ayers, etc. That's the route I took when I installed an "E" model tank. I do remember that only one of the front "E" model mounts was used and I used cable ties to hold the "E" model tank to frame mount in place. 

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Suzuki/Motorcycle/2005/DR-Z400E/FUEL+TANK+%28MODEL+K5%29/parts.html.

Check Ebay too. You can find the lower brackets sometimes. Br creful, sometimes EBay sellers are gouging. Searching by P/N is best because some of the parts fit other models too. For instance; I bought the lower brackets fo $10 shipped because they were listed for an older RM.

• Like 1

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Suzuki/Motorcycle/2005/DR-Z400E/FUEL+TANK+%28MODEL+K5%29/parts.html.

Check Ebay too. You can find the lower brackets sometimes. Br creful, sometimes EBay sellers are gouging. Searching by P/N is best because some of the parts fit other models too. For instance; I bought the lower brackets fo $10 shipped because they were listed for an older RM.

Instead of that band that holds down the tank,  number #18 in your chart,  can i do something like this? 

e to s mount.jpg

• Like 1

Instead of that band that holds down the tank,  number #18 in your chart,  can i do something like this? 

I don't see why not.

Unlike the S, that has the rear cushion on the mount bolts, the E uses another frame cushion after the insulation; P/N 15. I just went with the band to save time and not possibly run into an unseen constraint. I'd hate like heck to have to adsorb $8 shipping to get one part, but I had ordered quite a few items with the strap and pad.

I don't see why not.

Unlike the S, that has the rear cushion on the mount bolts, the E uses another frame cushion after the insulation; P/N 15. I just went with the band to save time and not possibly run into an unseen constraint. I'd hate like heck to have to adsorb $8 shipping to get one part, but I had ordered quite a few items with the strap and pad.

have you already started on yours?  got any pics of the parts you got?  at this point,  im thinking i might just make me own mount purely to save $,  id like to see your progress.

have you already started on yours?  got any pics of the parts you got?  at this point,  im thinking i might just make me own mount purely to save $,  id like to see your progress.

Newp, won't ship for another six weeks. Everything so far is by guess and by golly. :o :o

• Like 1

People that mount the E tank on the S/SM frame - for the front use the horn mount on the right an no mount on the left.  I personally don't think that is enough support but people say it works.

• Like 3

People that mount the E tank on the S/SM frame - for the front use the horn mount on the right an no mount on the left.  I personally don't think that is enough support but people say it works.

But the S/SM tank dosent even have those supports?  its simply slides on those 2 circle thingies and then is bolted at the back,  why does the E have more mounts?  I offroaded with me S plenty,  the tank never moved or anything,  does the E have those 2 extra supports on the bottom of the tank cause they figured its off road only,  and will be vibrating, etc more?

• Like 1

But the S/SM tank dosent even have those supports?  its simply slides on those 2 circle thingies and then is bolted at the back,  why does the E have more mounts?  I offroaded with me S plenty,  the tank never moved or anything,  does the E have those 2 extra supports on the bottom of the tank cause they figured its off road only,  and will be vibrating, etc more?

Probably....the E obviously was more dirt oriented and the S was both. I know my metal tank was bolted in the back like you say, but the fact that it was metal made it super strong. Seems the IMS tank had a metal wire that held onto something under the middle, as well as bolted in the back....can't remember for sure now. I've never heard it bounce or anything, and when I've wiggled it, it seems solid as the metal tank. That Acerbis should have more weight pushing downward......

Isn't there a wire underneath where the tank halves split either side of the frame?

• Like 1

fwiw I've had e model tank then switched to the IMS 2.6 gallon tank for e model on an S for about 9000 off road miles with no problems.

Plenty of crash testing,even high speed crash testing.3 hare scrambles

I,'ve switched from a hard mount at the back to using the e model one strap.

Also running una biker rad guards

• Like 3

I think it would work, but I will add a bracket because I'm too OCD not to. :crazy:

• Like 1

fwiw I've had e model tank then switched to the IMS 2.6 gallon tank for e model on an S for about 9000 off road miles with no problems.

Plenty of crash testing,even high speed crash testing.3 hare scrambles

I,'ve switched from a hard mount at the back to using the e model one strap.

Also running una biker rad guards

Super valuable info, thanks! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I used the strap and mounted to where the horn goes as well. Made a bracket out of aluminum on the fan side just because I felt better about it. It has worked great and I ride it pretty hard!ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1465743942.413372.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1465743963.136724.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1465744062.133749.jpg

Edited by Royall577
  • Like 2