1972 honda xl 250 oil leak

Im just gonna get straight to the point. My bike leaks from the left crankcase cover, where the magneto is. First time i took it apart to try and fix the leak i got a brand new honda oem gasket and put it all back together and it was spraying out onto the sprocket when started.. Next time i take it apart, i use some engine sealant GM uses from a local GM dealer. I used it only around the half the cover where it was spraying. now it leaks out of the bottom of the case while just sitting there. Not even running. Noww I take it apart again, sigh, i use just the rtv engine sealant with no gasket this time. It seems to have worked for one night and i ride the bike a few miles. I go out to the shed the next day and it is dripping from the bottom. At this point im pretty much frustrated beyond belief, so can someone please off me some suggestion as to how to keep this thing from leaking from the left crankcase cover. This isn't rocket science. Its an old enduro. It shouldn't be that hard to seal the case. 

Thanks

Edit: Sorry for the grammar. Was just frustrated when i wrote this so it seems i didn't care much.

Edited by dhoops10

Not surprised you're a bit cheesed off, bro.

Wonder if theres a crack in the cases or the cover, usually around a bolt hole?

Edited by Muzz67

I am experiencing the same thing on a 1975 XL350. Identical LH side covers. I even change the side cover only to have it leak worse! used a new gasket, with HONDA BOND> leaked at the bottom of the case. Sooooo I cleaned the surfaces to nice bright metal cleaned off and installed a new cometic gasket from Xlintperformance, and .... it still leaks. I am no back to installing the new gasket onto the side cover with HONDA BOND and the engine case side dry. Install using new allen head bolts for more torque than the original screws. AND adding LUCAS oil stop leak.  That is my current plan.  Waiting on the bolts to come in the mail.

The only other thing it can be is a deformity on the engine case facing meaning you would have to split the cases and replace the half that is affected. Or the screw bosses are minutely cracked from years of being over torqued to stop a weep / leak. And again that is a case replacement to fix. So my hope lays in the above method of allen heads etc.

When I got this bike it leaked but not bad. It got worse when I opened it up and tried to stop it.  My 1974 XL350 leaks out the left side too, but if ran regularly it wont leak at all.

watch for leaks from the cam chain adjuster and the clutch push rod seal too.  The cam chain adjuster can drool and run down under the engine case and make you think it is the engine case when it is not.  A leaking pushrod seal is a split of the cases to replace.

If anyone has had any success if fixing the left side case leak on an early XL please let me know . Mine is a 75 and leaks like crazy from left side , it leaks less when I put it on a center stand but after doing all the logical fixes, new gasket etc and have not been able to make it stop. It seems that this is a common issue on early XL's so I am hoping there is an "old timer" who knows these bikes well and can advise.

thanks

On the left side, above the shifter, notice a round vinyl black plug the size of an American quarter. It has an arrow on it that should be in the "up" position. Now get a drain pan and pop off the plug. Several ounces of oil will gush out. When it stops dripping. install that plug with the arrow in the "up" position. Your leak will be temporarily solved. What's happening is that there is an internal seal that is leaking. But if you drain the affected area after each ride, you won't have that puddle on your driveway. My mechanic says to fix and  replace the seal is about a 10 hour job. Be sure and check your oil level from time to time as you'll be losing volume.