Adv Touring Thumper with No Numb Hands?

Any recommendations for a thumper for adventure touring on and off Road where your hands are not numb by the end of the day?

Lusting after the KTM 690 Enduro R's (or Husqvarna 701's), but have not ridden a newer one. The 2010 version causes tingly hands after all day hard riding. (Boohoo...)

Anybody have any experience with the newer versions? Related to the KTM/husky models, I know that you can remap the fuel and throttle map up to something like 2012, but can you do anything with the newer ones or are they good to go? I especially did not like the on-off throttle map (stock) because it was very jerky in sport mode.

Open to other brands, but since I used to road race, I really like a stomping horse power to weight ratio. :-)

No real tingling issues other than riding that 2010 KTM 690 pretty hard all day. My friend, who owns the bike reports the same.

I've always been curious why there is not a standard for measuring vibration when different groups do reviews of bikes. It seems like they have all kinds of other statistics but the one that seems most important for all day comfort, other than the seat, is never addressed quantitatively. Rather, people talk about "The new bike has less vibration than the old bike " and subjective opinions like that.

Obviously, with a thumper, counterbalancing is at issue. Just wondering if any manufacturers have done a better job than others for certain years or models with regard to vibration?

• Like 1

No real tingling issues other than riding that 2010 KTM 690 pretty hard all day. My friend, who owns the bike reports the same.

I've always been curious why there is not a standard for measuring vibration when different groups do reviews of bikes. It seems like they have all kinds of other statistics but the one that seems most important for all day comfort, other than the seat, is never addressed quantitatively. Rather, people talk about "The new bike has less vibration than the old bike " and subjective opinions like that.

Obviously, with a thumper, counterbalancing is at issue. Just wondering if any manufacturers have done a better job than others for certain years or models with regard to vibration?

Tingling seems to be a condition specific to the rider. On about any bike my hands tingle or go numb under certain conditions including revs and temps.

Bryan may be on to something.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 6/18/2016 at 10:18 PM, Flagstaff said:

Tingling seems to be a condition specific to the rider. On about any bike my hands tingle or go numb under certain conditions including revs and temps.

Bryan may be on to something.

I've since gotten a '14 690R and I think my vibration sensitivity is less than on my first gen KLR. 

9 hours ago, Flagstaff said:

I've since gotten a '14 690R and I think my vibration sensitivity is less than on my first gen KLR. 

I was worried that the 17 690R would be an issue for my hands, but so far, it's been great. No tingling or numbness. Who knows... Maybe it's a certain frequency in some people that causes issues. I had tingling issues when I first bought my Triumph Tiger 800XC and it's butta smooth vs. the 690R.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The 2017 husky 701 is a different motor with another balance shaft added, Ken didn't get the motor for 2017???  I have not ridden personally but it is supposed to be smoother. I could justify the price tag so I bought another xr650l.  No tingles here.

8 minutes ago, Pat4wd said:

The 2017 husky 701 is a different motor with another balance shaft added, Ken didn't get the motor for 2017???  I have not ridden personally but it is supposed to be smoother. I could justify the price tag so I bought another xr650l.  No tingles here.

I've ridden one a few times. Vs. the 690, it's more of an on paper marketing deal than reality. If the bike is smoother, it's b/c the stock Continental TKC80 tires are less aggressive than the Pirelli MT21 DOT knobbies. But, it's not noticeably smoother when riding them back to back. If you someone has issues w/ their hands, the 701 vs. the 690 won't do anything IMHO.

• 1 month later...

also a bmw owner as i traded my too tall kawi klx250s for a g650gs with factory low suspension, that being the reason i purchased it. very pleased with the power + smoothness + got a decent deal as the 2016 was the last year for it. i only do mild off roading so the lower suspension that gets my feet on the ground is plenty!!

• 2 weeks later...

A thumper should not cause tingling hands. Just don't grip the grips. Hold them like they were eggshells.

Also look at your gloves as a potential issue. Most motorcycle gloves are really not very good and I've also found that 

most riders are using gloves that are too snug or even too small. IF you can't effortlessly make a fist or extend the fingers in the other direction

the gloves are not good. Leather gloves are also quite laden with nasty chemicals known to cause all sorts of problems. 

American Leather is among the worst from a chemical standpoint.

Motoport has some very good Keprotec Gloves, made from high end synthetic material used in race gear.

If you do have hand problems as a result of incorrect grip or other problems like heavy work etc etc you han help improve the health of your hands 

with a cheap little tool that's for sale on Amazon. It called Handmaster. It's a set of three balls with three elastic webs. It exercises the hand in both directions.

I'm a windsurfer and Kitesurfer ... both sports that are rough on the hands. The HAndmanster is a game changer. I have recommended it to many kitesurfer, windsurfers and bikers. When used correctly it really is a game changer.

I rode dirt for about 8 hours yesterday on a thumper dirt bike and not the slightest problem with my hands. I work endless hours with computers

and have absolutely no carpel tunnel issues. I used to get pain on and off before using the Handmaster. I hope it helps the OP.

Looks interesting and not too much money.

https://www.amazon.com/Handmaster-Plus-Physical-Therapy-Exerciser/dp/B00CTG3TQU/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1503675518&sr=8-1&keywords=Handmaster

I've used a simple rubber band in a similar fashion. I've also gone in for deep tissue massage on my forearms and that helped a lot.

I used to have tingling and cramping issues, but no longer and I even have small nerve lesions in both wrists.

1 hour ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Looks interesting and not too much money.

https://www.amazon.com/Handmaster-Plus-Physical-Therapy-Exerciser/dp/B00CTG3TQU/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1503675518&sr=8-1&keywords=Handmaster

I've used a simple rubber band in a similar fashion. I've also gone in for deep tissue massage on my forearms and that helped a lot.

I used to have tingling and cramping issues, but no longer and I even have small nerve lesions in both wrists.

A great way to use the Handmaster is to raise your arm way over your head and then lower your hand as low to the ground as you can while sitting. It adds "blood flow flushing" to the process. Blood flows out of the arms when you raise them and flows back into the arms when you lower the arm. Same way it does through your body doing yoga. I'd say the Handmaster is about as important to me as my inversion table..... Inversion Table has done wonders for my lower back. I'm close to 60 and yesterday dirt biked for hours on end and my back feels 100%.....

• 3 months later...