2016 front fork conversion kit? or and good setting?

Well i got my forks back from Mx tech with the tac-r kit and skf glide kit..   Got to try them out at field of dreams in millville nj...  I usually warm up on the vet track which is kind of mellow some small table tops nothing really big, didnt notice much there since there wasnt any that would really challenge my new suspension..    Once i got on the national race track thats when i really felt the suspension...  The bike almost felt spring like in that it didnt have the mid stroke harshness or hyper progressive nature.. the bike had stock... I was able hit the big jumps and even flat land with comfort..  I messed up and cased a double and the suspension soaked it up.. this setup is amazing... my only complaint is i didnt do the shock and now i would like to update the valving on my shock to match the performance of the fork... which is my next step.. I also own a 2009 kx450f that has the mx tech revalved huck valve spring fork and i prefer the tac-r air fork on my 2016 kx450f...   both are amazing but i feel the tac-r air fork is worlds better...

What did it run you for everything with labor?

• Like 1

Yes curious about a full setup price of forks. And what they want for a shock to match. I had a fox podium rc3 on my kx450 loved it.

I weigh 190 and I'm running 177/10/207 and it feels pretty good. Your inner and outer chambers seem pretty high for a 203 balance with 185lb rider. I would imagine your front end is too high. Mine felt way unbalanced and stopped turning when I ran the sag to high (above 105mm) and the pressures too high the front causing the rear to be lower. Once I got the balance figured out it was awesome, but pretty discouraging up until that point.

Keep messing with the pressures and sag until you figure it out, it just takes time.

i've heard that running too much pressure in the outer causes sticktion but when i drop it a couple of psi i loose bottoming resistance. it's really noticeable. With a 30 psi difference between the inner and balance you don't feel like the fork is diving at all coming into corners?  

I've raced the bike on hard pack and lately on a mud track. The forks are very very good now that I lowered the oil 10cc (In the left leg only).

It is certainly worth a try. The forks are much more plush.

How do you do this?  Do you have to take the fork off and turn it upside down or do you use something to suck the oil out while it's on the bike?

Try lowering the oil first. Have you seen the race tec video? The guy pushes down on the handlebars and the forks compress easily(with no front brake). My forks are like that now that I've lowered the oil by 10cc.

Give it a try. Cheap too.

I'm 160lb and ride a 2016 kx450f. I race desert C class and am running 3rd in the series this year, and am 42. I'm having an issue finding the sweet spot where the high frequency small chop in the sand doesn't rattle my teeth out. I've been thinking it's been loading up and I need to soften up on both compression and rebound for the front and rear suspension. I'm running 155 inner, 9 outer and 165 balance with a 5.4 rear spring and dead center on all clickers. Any suggestions?

I'm 160lb and ride a 2016 kx450f. I race desert C class and am running 3rd in the series this year, and am 42. I'm having an issue finding the sweet spot where the high frequency small chop in the sand doesn't rattle my teeth out. I've been thinking it's been loading up and I need to soften up on both compression and rebound for the front and rear suspension. I'm running 155 inner, 9 outer and 165 balance with a 5.4 rear spring and dead center on all clickers. Any suggestions?

I'm certainly no suspension tuner but if it were me, I would add some to the balance (maybe 5-7) and a couple to the outer to get some bottoming resistance back and try that.

So maybe 12 in the outer and 170 in the balance? I'll try that and let you know the results. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Just curious but stock spring is 5.2nm(5.3kg/mm) and you have a 5.4nm or a 5.4 kg/mm? Either way you went up a rate. The stock shock is stiff and your not that heavy.

What other symptoms do you have does it tuck or push? I think your shock is too stiff for you for starters. I have the stock spring on my bike and im 180 lbs and race local pro moto. I would bet if you had the correct spring rate in the back your forks would feel much better. I bet if you check a spring calculator youd be in the 5.0kg/mm or 5.1 range

I'm sorry, that was a typo. I went down in the spring rate and need to double check but I believe it's 5.1. I came from a 05' CRF 450x and this bike handles so much better. I do have problems with the rear swapping when I get in big whoops at high speeds and I didn't have that issue with my Honda and am still trying to find out how to deal with that. I did have the Honda revalved and it was with 2.5 weight oil, it was really plush. I believe I will need to revalve this bike as well but I want to make sure I exhaust all options with the stock valving.

What sag are you running? And how far out is your low speed compression clicker and high speed compression. Stoc

k the rear shock setting are too stiff.

Mxa settings. Shock. 2 1/4. Turn out high speed compression. 15 clicks out on low speed. 12 on rebound

Stock is. 1 3/4. High speed 13 low 11 rebound.

Fork compression mxa settings is

13 low speed and 13 rebound

Stock is 9 low speed and 13 rebound

Race Sag should be set at 105mm wearing your full gear.

Im 168 and im running the stock spring. I dont see why you had to go down a spring rate. If your free sag is between 25 and 35mm with the stock spring and your race sag is at 105mm. The spring is ok for you. Im at 35 mm free sag at 105mm race sag with stock spring. The racetech spring rate calculator is not that accurate.

Edited by CrobarGreg

I went down in spring rate trying to eliminate the the rearend swapping from right to left and vice versa on big whoops at high speed. Maybe I didn't need to do that?

I'm sorry, that was a typo. I went down in the spring rate and need to double check but I believe it's 5.1. I came from a 05' CRF 450x and this bike handles so much better. I do have problems with the rear swapping when I get in big whoops at high speeds and I didn't have that issue with my Honda and am still trying to find out how to deal with that. I did have the Honda revalved and it was with 2.5 weight oil, it was really plush. I believe I will need to revalve this bike as well but I want to make sure I exhaust all options with the stock valving.

Rear end swapping can also be too much compression dampening.  I was getting it in the small high speed stuff and I opened my HS compression up from 2 to 2.75 turns out and the problem went away.  If yours is over big rollers, it could be the LS compression.  What is it set at?

• Like 1

I will double check when I get home tonight, I'm reasonably sure they are in the middle of the spectrum. I'll post what I find later this evening. Thanks for the help.