2016 front fork conversion kit? or and good setting?

Rear end swapping can also be too much compression dampening.  I was getting it in the small high speed stuff and I opened my HS compression up from 2 to 2.75 turns out and the problem went away.  If yours is over big rollers, it could be the LS compression.  What is it set at?

Good advice, swapping  too stiff 90% of the time. And considering this shock is stiff. Id open both the low speed and high speed and that will definitely help. Set up that shock before the forks. These air forks are actually really good. I don't care what people say. They have huge potential. I had a pair of spring forks off an older 450 set up by a guy who was at factory KYB and I swapped back and forth and the air fork outperformed them almost everywhere. The air fork did feel a tiny bit looser in the turns but I fixed that with rebound adjustment.

I had my High speed adjustment set at 2.5 turns, compression at 10 and rebound at 12, forks were 10 comp, and 12 rebound. These are # of clicks in from fully soft.

Kicking out was better, but not fully resolved.

I increased pressures to 165 inner, 12 outer, and balance to 175.

The high frequency small chop seemed to be soaked up much better by these settings.

• Like 1

Soften up that low speed compression on the shock, id say in the 14-16 range. Also try 10 on the rebound.

Are your forks deflecting at all? On acceleration or deceleration? Harshness can be too stiff or to soft. Keep experimenting. Your probably learning a lot. Just make sure to document what you tried and how it went.

The clickers should be set out. Meaning turn them in clock wise till they stop then click them out. All the way in or clockwise would be your stiffest setting.

The correct way to count your setting would be just turn them in and count the clicks. If there is a half click at the end that dont count it. Then of course you could always. Return them to where u started and back them out same number.

Im 168 and im running the stock spring. I dont see why you had to go down a spring rate. If your free sag is between 25 and 35mm with the stock spring and your race sag is at 105mm. The spring is ok for you. Im at 35 mm free sag at 105mm race sag with stock spring. The racetech spring rate calculator is not that accurate.

not sure on a 16 but the 450 used to stock 180-190lb rider and the 250f was always 175-185. so in a nut shell for every 10lbs of wieght up or down that general = 1 speing wieght. The race tech calculator blows in my opinion. Your better off emailing FC or DSP springs and ask. They will tell you

not sure on a 16 but the 450 used to stock 180-190lb rider and the 250f was always 175-185. so in a nut shell for every 10lbs of wieght up or down that general = 1 speing wieght. The race tech calculator blows in my opinion. Your better off emailing FC or DSP springs and ask. They will tell you

I agree racetech calculator does blow. The 2016 kx450f is different than previous models. The shock spring is good for me 170 and my friend has one also hes 205. Thats the top end of the spectrum. Called mx tech they said it should be ok at 205 and we checked the free sag verse sag and they were right. Previous models need spring changes at that weight.

I'm coming into this thread a bit late but it caught my eye while looking for something else.

But to keep it short and sweet (and not utterly boring) I will be installing the Race Tech spring conversion kit on Friday and I will give a ride report when I get some time on it.

And for whatever its worth, I weigh 220lbs, 40+ Int, imstalled a 5.9 spring and got 30mm free sag with 100mm race sag. Triple checked it, numbers match.

Lastly, whoever said the 16 KTM 450 has the best motor in the class is......for me.....wrong. Dead wrong. I had one, traded it for the 16 Kawi.

But thats just me.

I'm coming into this thread a bit late but it caught my eye while looking for something else.

But to keep it short and sweet (and not utterly boring) I will be installing the Race Tech spring conversion kit on Friday and I will give a ride report when I get some time on it.

And for whatever its worth, I weigh 220lbs, 40+ Int, imstalled a 5.9 spring and got 30mm free sag with 100mm race sag. Triple checked it, numbers match.

Lastly, whoever said the 16 KTM 450 has the best motor in the class is......for me.....wrong. Dead wrong. I had one, traded it for the 16 Kawi.

But thats just me.

I'm 220 as well and with a 5.8 I'm at 104/44.  I like the way it feels but I have a 5.7 sitting on my bench so I'm going to try it and see how that feels.

Quick report on RT spring kit. Only one ride, seems to work OK so far but.........

Its way heavier.  I'll see how it goes. Already thinking about going back

Quick report on RT spring kit. Only one ride, seems to work OK so far but.........

Its way heavier.  I'll see how it goes. Already thinking about going back

I'm curious to hear about your experience as I'm thinking about doing a revalve front and rear this winter and have been debating whether to try the spring conversion (which is quite expensive as you know) or just sticking with the air.  Race Tech quoted me about $1,800 for the full revalve and conversion which is really expensive IMO and better be worth it to go that route.  The air revalves are almost half that much!

I stuck with the air on my 2016 and couldnt be happier. I have the skf glide kit. Mx tech. Tac-r set up (4 air presures) with a huck valve on the dampening side. Fells like a spring fork to me. It has a high pressure piston over the main pressure. That moves in the mid stroke. No more harshness. The shock is very good and doesnt need a revalve in my opinion. The fork costs about a grand.

I'm curious to hear about your experience as I'm thinking about doing a revalve front and rear this winter and have been debating whether to try the spring conversion (which is quite expensive as you know) or just sticking with the air.  Race Tech quoted me about $1,800 for the full revalve and conversion which is really expensive IMO and better be worth it to go that route.  The air revalves are almost half that much!

$1800???  I can't see that even with the spring conversion. I can't see paying more than about 1100-1200 and that includes revalve, the RT conversion and a rear spring, seals, etc. Oh, but they are including the Gold Valves so there's another $400 +

I didn't get to ride it this past weekend but hopefully this week. Either Racer X or Vital MX has a test of a 450 that has the conversion. I thought it was a good review

$1800???  I can't see that even with the spring conversion. I can't see paying more than about 1100-1200 and that includes revalve, the RT conversion and a rear spring, seals, etc. Oh, but they are including the Gold Valves so there's another $400 +

I didn't get to ride it this past weekend but hopefully this week. Either Racer X or Vital MX has a test of a 450 that has the conversion. I thought it was a good review

yeah, with tax and all it was $1,800 which surprised me, seemed really high to me.  I watched that vid on racerx with the KX 450 with race tech revalve both air and spring.  But, when I hear you say it feels heavy and you are thinking about switching back, plus the excessive cost, not sure if it's worth it to me.

Edited by motomania128

yeah, with tax and all it was $1,800 which surprised me, seemed really high to me.  I watched that vid on racerx with the KX 450 with race tech revalve both air and spring.  But, when I hear you say it feels heavy and you are thinking about switching back, plus the excessive, cost, not sure if it's worth it to me.

After watching that video, I need to give the spring a fair shake. There were a couple of other factors that day that muddied the water a bit concerning feel. I've talked to a couple of other riders who have it and like it a lot. My business partner just got a 17 so between us we'll get a good handle on whats what. And after pumping up his forks back here in the shop made me yearn for the spring set up. What a pain.

My forks partially collapsed today...ugh. Making me wish I had spring

Really? Thats the first I've heard a Showa do that. I rode my bike Friday, I think the spring will stay

I had very little issue with the performance of the TAC fork but I came across a great deal on some KYB spring forks so I picked them up.  They are better than the air but more importantly, I don't need to mess with them during the day.  I just picked up a 17 and the first thing I did was pack the TAC forks in a box under my bench.

IMG_2705_zps88s1igc0.jpg

Edited by Endoair

Where did u find them? What year of bike did they come off? Any modifications needed?

2010-2012 KX450 and no mods needed, they bolt right up.  I think the 08-09 fit as well but there were some internal differences.  It's nothing a revalve shouldn't cure but I would double check that.

I was chatting with a fellow KX450 owner on another forum who had them.  He had since sold his KX for a KTM and hung on to the forks to convert them on to his KTM but ended up liking the new AER forks so he offered them to me.  

Edited by Endoair