Febvre?

Anyone know what the resulting injury?

Found my own answer via google:

Monster Energy Yamaha Factory Racing Official MXGP Team rider Romain Febvre crashed on Saturday during the MXGP qualifying race at Matterley Basin in England. The 24-year old Frenchman was examined on site by medical personnel and transported immediately to University Hospital Southampton where he underwent further investigation and treatment.

Doctors at University Hospital Southampton performed a CT scan and x-rays on his cervical spine and limbs and diagnosed Febvre with a head injury and a fractured right middle finger before releasing him from urgent care.

Febvre will consult with team staff and FIM medical personnel today, Sunday, to determine his next steps at the MXGP of Great Britain.

Edited by GoneDirtBikeN
  • Like 1

Hope he's going to be ok!  Not just for the racing. He just seems like a really good kid. Great attitude and passion. Amazing rider.

A head slap into the face of a big jump is a massive hit no matter how good a 2016 helmet can be.   Horrible feeling, for weeks.

Hm...

I think Guillod deserved a bunch of this, after almost forcing Febvre out twice in a few seconds.

Herlings also does this on a regular basis (or had, at least) :D

Interesting part at 4:00

Edited by Narciss

Looked like he was protecting his line, ain't yours till you're ahead of the other rider ?

He wasn't at all ahead. I checked the replay again and no, Febvre was half a wheel in front. The attached picture is more than 80% through the corner.

In F1 racing, which is at least a bit wider cars than our bikes, you have to leave room for the other car if his front wheels are past your rear. While I absolutely agree  the racing line belongs to the leading car, that doesn't mean he can be oblivious to everything else on track. He has to leave room, otherwise penalites are handed.

Even if Guillod was in front, such manuever at this kind of speed is plainly unsafe and I bet you'd be doing the same gesture on Febvre's bike.

Screenshot_24.jpg

Edited by Narciss

The question remains if they made contact or, if it was Feb's mistake for not just picking a better moment. Why go for such a shitty line when he clearly had the speed to get it done on a safer position. Not to mention all this went down during qualifying...

I really don't know what you're talking about.

He was ahead so we established it was his line.

It was an outside line, many others went there many times - nothing shitty about it. It is shitty when the outer side of the corner becomes off-track. Guillod was pushing him wide the whole corner and Febvre was avoding contact to the point he had to go off track.

Yes there was contact. Perhaps not really visible on the pic, but the change in direction of velocity is obvious on video.

Qualy in MXGP is almost like a third race. It surely is ridden like one. Last year point awards were proposed to top 5 finishers (5 for 1st, 1 for 5th), perhaps they include it in the regulations for 2017.

Screenshot_25.jpg

Edited by Narciss

I don't see it that way, the video shows the Feb's bike becoming unsettled after hitting a bump on the outside soft line, maybe he grabbed a handful of brake because he thought Guill's bike was about to dump into his. Without seeing contact I'll take it as a rider error, if there's evidence of contact then I'll change my opinion ?