Dual sporting an XTrainer -- real world experience?

You have a microprocessor controlled oil injection system that goes into very lean fuel/oil ratios at idle and which may be mapped much differently than the rr's. Hows that going to work on a engine that has been,but not designed to be run at extended high rpm's ,is anybodies question.

Edited by widebear

I'm really surprised to hear that you blew a head gasket on these. You'd think with the TPS and other sensors that you'd not have an issue with oil ratios going from one terrain to another, and that it would register correctly as your engine speed and throttle speed increases. Are you sure there wasn't some other cause? I'd be sure to open a warranty claim, that doesn't sound right. I guess you got a different bike, but that's very odd. 

Either way, I've secured financing for the bike, will be purchasing friday, and will heed your warning. I don't know if anyone but the dealership can change the mapping through. 

What size handle bars are stock on these? 1"? 1 1/8"?

I need to know in order to order bark busters.

thanks guys. 

• Like 1

We DS an X-Trainer and have no issues other then the poor mileage. I also told the rider to vary the throttle as well as stop if weird pinging sounds happen. For what we ride the 2t motor isn't the best but the bike lets the rider experience single track that would not be considered on other bikes.

I'm starting to get cold feet here. The advertised price was the MSRP, and they flopped down another surprise $1200 in fees on top of it and since it's the last one available in my state, they aren't budging. 

By the time I'm into it for what I want, we're looking at a $9000 bike. I'm not willing to pay that I don't think. I like it, but I don't know that I $9000 like it. I was hoping to walk away at around 7700 with the bike loaded how I wanted.

You factor in bark busters, better seat that isn't quite a 2x4, JD jet kit, mirror, power source to run GPS, spark arrestor, 14t front sprocket, etc... it makes me want to hold off and see what Beta offers in 2017. 

Edited by malignity

I'm starting to get cold feet here. The advertised price was the MSRP, and they flopped down another $1200 in fees on top of it and since it's the last one available in my state, they aren't budging. 

By the time I'm into it for what I want, we're looking at a $9000 bike. I'm not willing to pay that I don't think. I like it, but I don't know that I $9000 like it. 

You factor in bark busters, better seat that isn't quite a 2x4, JD jet kit, mirror, power source to run GPS, spark arrestor, 14t front sprocket, etc... it makes me want to hold off and see what Beta offers in 2017. 

nope. That's robbery. The '17 is going to be released in just a couple weeks and, then dealers will get more stock. No reason to bend over for a greedy dealer, IMO. I'm looking at buying from a dealer 4hrs away because I know they're trustworthy. Might want to check into other dealers, they may have some XT's left.

I'm starting to get cold feet here. The advertised price was the MSRP, and they flopped down another surprise $1200 in fees on top of it and since it's the last one available in my state, they aren't budging. 

By the time I'm into it for what I want, we're looking at a $9000 bike. I'm not willing to pay that I don't think. I like it, but I don't know that I $9000 like it. I was hoping to walk away at around 7700 with the bike loaded how I wanted.

With the options you listed above it's not going to happen on a new bike for $7700. Depending where you are in MI, a drive south can get you into a bike for less. My dealer has one along with a 350rr, 390rr and a 300rrre. PM me if you want his contact info.

Waiting for a 2017 release will save you a couple hundred dollars and a bigger loss rolling it out the dealership doors.

Hey, I think we talked this afternoon, 5ish, Marquette Beta.

iHey, I think we talked this afternoon, 5ish, Marquette Beta.

Yessir we did! After speaking with you, you made me more confident in my decision to wait. For the added fees, I could take the 5 hour hike up to Marquette and back and still save money. 

Let me know when you get some of the 17's in. I'll be looking. I may go with the 300RR, we will see. I left another inquiry to another dealer as well about an XT down in Lincoln or Allen Park area, and he didn't have any in stock either, but he, like you, mentioned I'd be better off with a lowered RR over an XT due to suspension. I imagine even the XT suspension is hands and feet better than my WRR though. 

The price point and slightly smaller size is what has me hooked on the XT, the loss of ~5HP isn't something I'm overly concerned about. It's a 300 2T, it'll go anywhere I want it to I'm sure. lol

• Like 1

Hey, I think we talked this afternoon, 5ish, Marquette Beta.

It's great to see a dealer so active on the forum.  I purchased my 300RR beta from Bennett Powersports and so far they have been good to me.  Just curious, I'm assuming that if I ever needed parts that you could order them and ship them my way?  I live in the LP near Flint, Mi.

If anyone is looking for a sweet deal on a 2016 I came across this. If I saw this before I bought my 2015 I'd be all over it because I'm only an hour away. It looks like if you contact him he will ship it. Just lowered the price. Has it on ebay and Craigslist.

You could honestly probably get it for $6500. Also I have no ideas whose it is, I am not promoting it or selling it myself just want to see if anyone could score a deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes-/301991381398?forcerrptr=true&hash=item465016c996:g:MeEAAOSwvg9XaDxP&item=301991381398

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/5645021094.html

I may be pulling the trigger on an XTrainer after riding my buddy's 300RR. It was a good bike, but a little more than what I'm looking for, and being that I've got short stubby legs, I figured the XT will better fit me.

I'd be plating the bike and dual sporting it, 80-90% off-road orientation. Other than the plush suspension and extremely light weight, is the bike itself capable of 55mph cruising for a few miles of pavement to get to trails without screaming at 10k RPM the whole way? 

I know the XT has the top end chopped off compared to the 300RR, but I'm curious as to how that calculates on wide open stuff such as fire trails, dirt roads, etc. I'm not looking to do 100mph racing against the 4 strokes or anything like that, just want to comfortably cruise at traffic speed on the bike.

Can she do it? 

Thanks!

I've been ds'ing a twenty year old kdx220 for the last two years. at first i worried about all the scary things people say about a two stroke on the street. then, after several 150+ dual sport rides, i could care less about the internet wannabe geniuses, and ride it just like a four stroke.

the only concession I've made is gearing up or down so i can cruise without getting into the power valve, mostly because it kills fuel economy.

i averaged 28 mpg in Suchess, Ga a few weekends ago, without trying at all to conserve.

keep in mind this is a totally clapped out twenty year old Kawasaki, not super cool, very well jetted, NEW PISTON/CYLINDER, and really nice beta

I've been ds'ing a twenty year old kdx220 for the last two years. at first i worried about all the scary things people say about a two stroke on the street. then, after several 150+ dual sport rides, i could care less about the internet wannabe geniuses, and ride it just like a four stroke.

the only concession I've made is gearing up or down so i can cruise without getting into the power valve, mostly because it kills fuel economy.

i averaged 28 mpg in Suchess, Ga a few weekends ago, without trying at all to conserve.

keep in mind this is a totally clapped out twenty year old Kawasaki, not super cool, very well jetted, NEW PISTON/CYLINDER, and really nice beta

The super cool really nice Beta will get 30mpg! We DS the XT and this is all we get with stock jetting and the needle at the lowest position. I have a JD kit on the shelf and will be installing shortly as well as correcting the float height. Why do they insist on such high float levels???

The super cool really nice Beta will get 30mpg! We DS the XT and this is all we get with stock jetting and the needle at the lowest position. I have a JD kit on the shelf and will be installing shortly as well as correcting the float height. Why do they insist on such high float levels???

Prob the same reason that I richen up the main jet on a trail bike before selling it . I don't want some buyer coming back to me with a squeaked engine telling me he only had it  at wot on the #1 for fifteen minutes. It's called liability shift,aka don't under estimate the stupidity of people.

Edited by widebear
  • Like 1

Fuel out the overflow does nothing for jetting.

That may be true but keep in mind a lot of these euro bikes never get leaned over enough to overflow because of users location and what they will ultimately be used for. More perhaps in the case of true enduro bikes  which often will rarely or  ever see real trails, hence signals, brake lights and horns. I've seen WR 200's just like the ones once sold here for  off road use only used strictly as street bikes in other parts of the world,Costa Rica,Thailand. Maybe the factory's envisioned buys using the bikes for more than one application as in dual sport and built in the safety factor.

Edited by widebear

• 1 year later...

Ok, i have to try this,...so here's my question.

is it feasible to use a XT as a dual sport for my kind of riding?

the second video is the hard part, it's the kind of route I have to take the trials i like to ride, I'm planning to keep the CRF250L as my street bike so the XT wouldn't be my everyday ride, I know it's not possible. also in the second video you might see me hitting 90km/h but 60 to 70 would be fine. I'm would like to buy the XT as to progress more in dirt riding and for most of the part just to have a blast offroad, but as you see in my country i have to ride through some traffic to get to any trails, it's not just go on the back yard and progress from there to the woods as in other country's. I don't want the hassle to load the bike on a trailer either.

so guys what do you think? would be possible or i just forget it.

Thanks

Daniel